Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I have just been home 9 days, heading back to the Sand Pit on Monday for my annual simulator recurrent. Biking time at home has been busy…..

I rode the FZR1000 down to Cape Town for a respray and clean up. New Annakee Wilds on the Yam T7 and the Beemer……..welll, that just needed to burn some fuel! In addition the big Orange 1190 has had new chain and sprockets fitted, new rear suspension bushings and a service.  Shame to be heading away again so soon.IMG_0925.jpeg.99a3115918d06ca5c673d4cb13449dce.jpegIMG_0926.jpeg.3b8a226c67797db8b753768450e73c2d.jpegIMG_0927.jpeg.fbe68a3b33dde6a5e9938ec985eff00f.jpegIMG_0928.jpeg.191838c875406bad6235fa8529062910.jpeg

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, sawystertrance said:

Lovely collection and photos. It must be a wrench to leave them behind. :(

Yeah…..it is. 

Want to Rykas this morning. Used to be an old school bikers/transport cafe. They have upgraded the place significantly. Soon riff raff like me will be verboten. 

will resize pics and post em at some point. Lots of royal Enfields around. Quite like the 650 GT. 

image.jpeg.8cf8fc500219edc1914d5a64e7e313a7.jpeg

Needed to get out and ride this morning, decided to go to Yzerfontein this morning as a quick Google search said they have a kick ass bakery called Rossmead.... So headed out for a breakfast and some breads. 

The Google reviews were 100% correct, their breads are kickass ....... Give them a spin if you are in the area, or looking for a quick ride out.

Not the best pic, but this big boy was taking up the main roads into Yzerfontein, on the loop out again he was in the main road again and stared me down before moving to the side so I could pass, I never got a chance to snap a pic of him on the way out .... was more concerned about what exit path I would take if he came for me 😂

18 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Want to Rykas this morning. Used to be an old school bikers/transport cafe. They have upgraded the place significantly. Soon riff raff like me will be verboten. 

will resize pics and post em at some point. Lots of royal Enfields around. Quite like the 650 GT. 

as promised. 

damn sexy Suzuki that.  Saw a blue one for sale with  9000 miles for ridiculously low money  so damn tempting.

image0.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

A few more

Rykas is/was a proper old skool cafe. Started in 1920 and a hangout for cyclists, bikers, walkers, hikers, tour groups etc for more than a hundred years. New owners took it over last year and have upgraded it significantly. Food is better but prices now much higher. Guess change is the heartbeat of progress. No more beans on toast for me here these days, no sir it’s fancy plant based burgers for me at 8-50 a pop sans chips or coffee. Set up an outdoor area big screen for MotoGP and web etc  sells beer too now  

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

I did a 2nd Lap of the CTCT over the weekend. But this time I used my Motor Guzzi (de-restricted ICE) "E-bike". My son rode with on his Transalp. We carefully obeyed all rules including stop signs, robots and speed limits. We did not pay entrance fees but we did pay the toll on Chappies and I topped up with energy juice before we started.

We modified the route slightly by starting and finishing on the M3 and closed the section between the Stadium and the Grand Parade via the overhead freeway. So distance was about 112km.

We started a bit late and there was quite a lot of traffic, particularly in Kalk Bay and Camps Bay. I did not pay too much attention to our time, but we were comfortably faster than 3 hours 😏

View was as expected and it was fun to cycle up Hospital Hill at 80km/h, Suikerbossie at 70, Edinburgh drive and Smit Winkel at 60 ...
😁

IMG_20240321_104221326.jpg.32239600408d077ddd492bc9b565fc7e.jpgIMG_20240321_111404530.jpg.b984747b1a5be57a49b841bd01486c48.jpg

On 2/20/2024 at 1:22 PM, Stoffel76 said:

So I did a thing...

Back in the year 2000 I bought one of my bucket list bikes... an old aircooled Beemer and for years it was my daily ride, but then family and life etc happened and it has been standing in my garage for years now gathering dust and in need of more and more TLC as time passed.  In the back of my mind I always hoped to do a full restoration or a customization but I realised realistically that was not going to happen anytime soon.

At the same time I really wanted something to ride with my son, and so I was looking online and found a guy willing to trade...  So we did...

And so, in the words of Monty Python, "And now for something completely different": 

WhatsAppImage2024-02-20at12_54.35_8990ffd1.jpg.74200bb25c786e5ea5fc82cff87ac16b.jpg

I've always wanted to try trials, so here we go!! 😁

So, first report back on riding trials... I haven't ridden at all, other than puttering round the garden... 😄 The front tyre was badly perished so didn't want to ride on that and, not knowing the history, decided to rather book the bike in for a full service...  Bike was finally able to go in this week...

Turns out trials parts are a fair bit more expensive and more difficult to source...

Front tyre - R1450 + R250 courier.

Air filter - R750 + R150 courier as parts need to come from Gauteng... 

I guess it's a lack of demand thing... 

Anyway, the bike's also getting new wheel bearings, front pads, all fluids changed etc, so hopefully this weekend I'll get a ride in! 

On 3/26/2024 at 3:37 PM, Stoffel76 said:

So, first report back on riding trials... I haven't ridden at all, other than puttering round the garden... 😄 The front tyre was badly perished so didn't want to ride on that and, not knowing the history, decided to rather book the bike in for a full service...  Bike was finally able to go in this week...

Turns out trials parts are a fair bit more expensive and more difficult to source...

Front tyre - R1450 + R250 courier.

Air filter - R750 + R150 courier as parts need to come from Gauteng... 

I guess it's a lack of demand thing... 

Anyway, the bike's also getting new wheel bearings, front pads, all fluids changed etc, so hopefully this weekend I'll get a ride in! 

That Trials bike is really lekker. I fancy an older Montessa or such. For some reason the Missus is less keen. Apparently I have enough bikes to keep me happy………

16 hours ago, Spokey said:

That Trials bike is really lekker. I fancy an older Montessa or such. For some reason the Missus is less keen. Apparently I have enough bikes to keep me happy………

🤔Trials bikes are very small... I'm sure you could sneak one in without her knowing... Just park it behind the KTM...

😄

Was going over an old flash drive I found and this pic popped up. 

Eastern Transvaal back in the day on the famous 22 of the sabie hazy view road circa 1987. Errant side stand. 

image001.jpeg

Edited by IceCreamMan

On 4/3/2024 at 10:50 AM, Stoffel76 said:

🤔Trials bikes are very small... I'm sure you could sneak one in without her knowing... Just park it behind the KTM...

😄

Ha ha yeah, easy to hide behind the big Orange!