Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few once-off Yamaha's around the country that we brought in to assess - some of them really nice like the original MT-03 the Yamaha Tricker (should have bought that!), the Serrow225 and the XMAX250.

And then some real flops - I'm afraid to say but the YZF-R15 was my call, and while it was a brilliant idea on paper, it was a sales disaster!

Of course you can have them for a song now, and it's actually a bloody nice little bike.

That Tricker is nice. :thumbup:

Why do you think the YZF-R15 was a flop, it's a damn sight better than the Honda CBR150, or whatever it is called?

Was it a price point thing?

Took one for a spin, and even with my portly 80+kg, it still ran well.

That Tricker is nice. :thumbup:

Why do you think the YZF-R15 was a flop, it's a damn sight better than the Honda CBR150, or whatever it is called?

Was it a price point thing?

Took one for a spin, and even with my portly 80+kg, it still ran well.

It was the 150cc thing - Yamaha didn't have a proper 125 in SA (The R-125 from Europe would have landed at R30K when the CBR125 was retailing at R22K) so we found the R15 in India.  If I remember correctly it was about R18K FOB and we retailed it for R26K.  The assumption was that most people would ignore the fact that it was a 150 and buy it for their kids anyway.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case, and no-one wanted to take the risk.  So it tanked.  Not legal for a schoolkid, and couldn't compete with the CBR250 at R29K.

Edited by Andymann

It was the 150cc thing - Yamaha didn't have a proper 125 in SA (The R-125 from Europe would have landed at R30K when the CBR125 was retailing at R22K) so we found the R15 in India.  If I remember correctly it was about R18K FOB and we retailed it for R26K.  The assumption was that most people would ignore the fact that it was a 150 and buy it for their kids anyway.  Unfortunately that wasn't the case, and no-one wanted to take the risk.  So it tanked.  Not legal for a schoolkid, and couldn't compete with the CBR250 at R29K.

Tell you what though, there is one YZF-R15 somewhere out there in the Pinetown area with a super special CDI which moved the redline up 2000rpm, a high-lift cam, and a bloody loud exhaust.  We also assessed one for the CBR150 cup and imported the Japanese race kit.  We raced the bike a few times, and then converted it back to road trim.  I think RBS Yamaha bought it....

The new Yamaha R3 looks so cool but damn the price is a bit much for a 300cc!!!

What is it?  About R60K?

And now back to all things DT, look what FINALLY arrived today, after placing the order in May....

Well worth the wait though - the Yellow Boots just scream 1990's Yamaha IT/DT, and the sticker kit is as good as any genuine one I have seen....

post-15215-0-19753500-1436437306_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-19321300-1436437313_thumb.jpg

Hell you could get a lot of nice bikes for that. You can pick up a FZR600 for around R40K, and that's a great bike....

Jip agreed.

Went past Yamaha now and the R3 is R69K!!!!!

Saw a beautiful Triumph Bonneville Newcastle for R99K,

post-35569-0-15395500-1436441897_thumb.jpg

but took a liking to the Thruxton Ace 900. Going for R109K, apparently only 12 in the country so gets a certificate of authenticity too,

post-35569-0-82105500-1436441899_thumb.jpg

Of course there is always the scrambler to confuse a guy..........

post-35569-0-09668500-1436441894_thumb.jpg

Goes for R107K

Don't know which is tougher, convincing the wife or choosing one of the above!!!!

I'm actually toying with the idea of selling my Bonneville.  My dad bought a Yamaha Fazer600 new and unfortunately he's now too old to ride it, so it just stands.  I love the Triumph - it's one of the nicest bikes I have owned, but from a sentimental point of view I think I am going to buy my Dad's Fazer.  Which means I definitely won't be able to keep the Bonnie.

I'm actually toying with the idea of selling my Bonneville.  My dad bought a Yamaha Fazer600 new and unfortunately he's now too old to ride it, so it just stands.  I love the Triumph - it's one of the nicest bikes I have owned, but from a sentimental point of view I think I am going to buy my Dad's Fazer.  Which means I definitely won't be able to keep the Bonnie.

Andy, PM me the model mileage and price.

Maybe a pic or 2, who knows. Maybe I can twist the wifes arm a little.

Andy, PM me the model mileage and price.

Maybe a pic or 2, who knows. Maybe I can twist the wifes arm a little.

It's one of the first ones that came out - think it's a 2003 model (the one with the carbs).  Around 14000km.

The guy I bought it from crashed it and then bought it back from the insurance and repaired it himself so it's not original, but has got quite a few nice touches like a Thruxton Genuine seat and also a Thruxton cluster.  I'll take a few pics this weekend