Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly had a chop side swipe me today changing lanes without indicating ... fortunately my spidey senses picked it up and could react in time.

But this guy is class though

To the 1200/1250 GS rider's here. 

Typically how long would a set of tyres last you, and what does one budget for a set of tyres 

"Asking for a friend"

Edited by Hairy

Not 100% sure but I think I got about 10k out of my Anakee 3s. On Anakee Adventures now on about 5k and still plenty of life

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

Not 100% sure but I think I got about 10k out of my Anakee 3s. On Anakee Adventures now on about 5k and still plenty of life

The Adventures look to be a road orientated (80/20), which if my friend was looking to a tyre and bike like this, would prob. be the right type of tyre. How does this fair on dirt tracks or trails?

According to the sales splurb, this is also origional tyre spec for the 2019 BMW R1250 GS.

10K would be about the same as what I get out of my HD rear tyres....and a new set of Adventures also comes in about the same as per what my HD does.

I like them a lot although when cornering the front is very noisy. The sides have a different, softer, silica compound compared to the centre of the tyre and I find they made the bike lean into a corner and track more precisely than the Anakee 3s. Off-road I found them to be fine even in shallow sand but, as you may have seen in my video, they didn't help me when I reacted badly in the soft stuff. To be expected though and fully my fault. They do wander in soft sand but even knobblies do that. They have cut a bit but overall I like them a lot

6 hours ago, Hairy said:

To the 1200/1250 GS rider's here. 

Typically how long would a set of tyres last you, and what does one budget for a set of tyres 

"Asking for a friend"

Okay, Orange brand, not GS but I am a big fan of Anakee Wilds. The rear does not last long though, 3000 kms and a bit, with traction control on, perhaps a lot less if off. The Adventures are great, I tried them on a trip from Hoekwil to Josie and back, excellent tar touring tyre and (for me) very dry dirt roads.  Currently I run Dunlop Trail Max Missions on my 1190. Excellent on tar, wet or dry but sketchy on all but dry dirt roads (the front surprisingly good in sand). They look like they will get well over 15 000 kms. I am awaiting the Trail Max Raid tyres to arrive in SA before I change on the 1190 as I would like to get a more dirt focussed tyre back on there but one with some longevity. I now have my Yam T700 which has become my go to ADV bike if riding with no pillion. Standard Pirelli Rally STR’s are not my favourites. I will be changing to Anakee Wilds or Pirelli Rally MT21 when next in SA. The Wilds have good tar handling and may be a bit more suitable on the T7 than the MT21’s which are more heavily dirt focused. Generally I don’t mind the noisy knobblies, the benefit is the confidence in the dirt on the heavier mid to large ADV bikes. The cost of tyres appears to be going up with nearly every shipment to SA, the Wilds have been quoted at around R5500 for the pair for the T7. Be even more for a GS (only a 150 size rear on the T7).

Hope that gives you an idea.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:06 AM, sawystertrance said:

Man, I love this video, if only for the spirit of adventure these guys show.

This is great, l love how that ‘Busa is airborne on some of those ramps! 

Edited by Spokey
Finger trouble!

On 1/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, WaynejG said:

So yesterday we took a ride out to Patensie. As we about to leave my son notices his R1's tyre is flat. A friendly 4x4 dude who is also a biker offered his compressor. Pumped the tyre and it went flat again. Piece of metal in the tyre. 

One of the guys in our group hauls out this kit https://www.agrimark.co.za/product/shield-tyre-repair-kit-tubeless?sku=39649_1&gad_source=1

4x4 dude chuckled and said those plastic handled tools won't get you far and he hauled out something similar to this https://www.adendorff.co.za/mac-afric-vehicle-motor-cycle-tyre-repair-tools-gtyrer001?gad_source=1

So the question is, was he right concerning the cheaper kit?

I also think the cheaper kit will do the job on a bike tyre but not with my Hilux. I helped my brother with a plug on his Fortuner tyre…….aye, that was very difficult. I am going to try the 12v drill route too, just to see if it works/ helps.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:18 AM, Hairy said:

If I went that route it would be a Tenere 700

IMG_0812.jpeg.b9a9450cf33c025a7539c349f35adbbc.jpegI am super happy with mine. Yes as Ice Cream Man says perhaps a bit down on hp but I truly do not miss that from my 150 hp KTM 1190.  Sure it is over 120 lbs heavier than my KTM 690  with about 4 hp more but that CP2 engine is a dream. It pulls well in any gear with a beautiful torque spread. It is very easy to ride in the dirt.  The faults are well documented but I will live with them and address them over time (not the hp obviously!) I have a few mods on mine……..crash bars, proper engine bash guard, a swing arm chain guide (IMO essential for off tar riding) a headlight protector,  Bark Buster’s and a Black Widow end can . In addition I have had the paintwork VPS protected. I wanted to carry my soft luggage but I find the racks available are wide and ungainly on the narrow bike.
To this end I bought a set of Turkana bags with their rackless mounting system. The cost was similar to a Touratech rack and they fit brilliantly. Next change are the tyres to a more dirt focussed pattern.

I recommend the bike but if you will carry a pillion perhaps look at the GS 800/850 range.

So thought to do a quick ride out just past melkbos from home (sunningdale) and ended up going to Philadelphia, then old malmesbury road and eventually ender up in Riebeek Kasteel where I am currently ordering breakfast at Cafe Felix.....

Now riding the HD I figured this loop would have been great on this loop on a GS....but then started hoping that when I do take one for a proper ride, the GS will give the same feel when running thrive the gears and when decelerating on the HD....if not, then why even bother 😀 

After breakfast it will be the quickest road home unfortunately. 

20240114_100800.jpg

Just now, Hairy said:

So thought to do a quick ride out just past melkbos from home (sunningdale) and ended up going to Philadelphia, then old malmesbury road and eventually ender up in Riebeek Kasteel where I am currently ordering breakfast at Cafe Felix.....

Now riding the HD I figured this loop would have been great on this loop on a GS....but then started hoping that when I do take one for a proper ride, the GS will give the same feel when running thrive the gears and when decelerating on the HD....if not, then why even bother 😀 

After breakfast it will be the quickest road home unfortunately. 

20240114_100800.jpg

Coffee arrived.... had better at most other places 😒 

On 1/17/2024 at 3:08 PM, IceCreamMan said:

Anthony Gobert passed away. Far too young. 

Yeah, a talented but troubled young man who grew into a talented but troubled adult. What a shame. I have had a scenario in my own extended family some years back ,with a talented young adult ( mountain biking) passing to soon due various reasons. It is very sad to deal with. Strength to his family.