Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

20 hours ago, Hairy said:

He said the bike turns in very suddenly where he (Had a GS before) found the GS to handle better a slower speeds on the trail ... so I understood it.

Loves his bike though, and it sounds like he takes her on many a romantic dirt adventure.

EDIT: The other factor in my mind is that there are a gazillion GS bikes out on the trails, with the service centers and spares to sustain this mass of vehicles vs far less numbers of ST bikes. Following the hitches to get spares for the HD, my logic leans towards a simpler life with the GS from a maintenance and accessories point of view.

and if you have the urge to ride some gravel you can do it very comfortably. "Comfortable" is what I hear a lot about the GS and probably the reason a good number of Iron Butt riders choose it for long distances.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was part of the S10 test team when we were busy evaluating it before the SA launch.  We had a KTM, a Triumph, a GS and the S10.  This is what we found -

The KTM was the best off-road - like a big MX bike but it wasn't great on-road

The GS was excellent as a big Adventure tourer but wasn't as good as the KTM off road.

The S10 was kind of in-between - it was better than the GS off-road, but not as good as the KTM, but not as good as the GS on-road but way better than the KTM.

The problem was the Triumph which was just a better all-rounder than everything everywhere - luckily in 2010 Triumphs were not that popular.

The Japanese could not understand why South Africans would want to take an S10 on anything other than maybe a dirt road - and even that was a shock for them!

I wouldn't completely ignore an S10 - they are incredibly reliable so you won't have issues and they can be had now for good money -  but I wouldn't want to take one too far off a gravel road!

Just my 5c!

12 minutes ago, Andymann said:

Having said that - if you can take a TW200 across 5 miles of hell you can probably take anything!

I like the TW200

Did my k53 on one .... they just bloody expensive second hand for what you are getting ... but should be a blast to play with in the bush

14 minutes ago, Andymann said:

I was part of the S10 test team when we were busy evaluating it before the SA launch.  We had a KTM, a Triumph, a GS and the S10.  This is what we found -

The KTM was the best off-road - like a big MX bike but it wasn't great on-road

The GS was excellent as a big Adventure tourer but wasn't as good as the KTM off road.

The S10 was kind of in-between - it was better than the GS off-road, but not as good as the KTM, but not as good as the GS on-road but way better than the KTM.

The problem was the Triumph which was just a better all-rounder than everything everywhere - luckily in 2010 Triumphs were not that popular.

The Japanese could not understand why South Africans would want to take an S10 on anything other than maybe a dirt road - and even that was a shock for them!

I wouldn't completely ignore an S10 - they are incredibly reliable so you won't have issues and they can be had now for good money -  but I wouldn't want to take one too far off a gravel road!

Just my 5c!

Thanks ... I am more confused now :P

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I like the TW200

Did my k53 on one .... they just bloody expensive second hand for what you are getting ... but should be a blast to play with in the bush

Actually the AG200 is way better - but it has a stigma attached that it's a farm bike.  Same engine, same dodgy suspension but just a much better package

14 minutes ago, Andymann said:

Actually the AG200 is way better - but it has a stigma attached that it's a farm bike.  Same engine, same dodgy suspension but just a much better package

interesting and I am sure more maneuverable with the narrower tyresimage.png.e8a1239d4ae0d933c57dd4e36532fe1f.png

but then the xt250 would be more capable again?image.png.60f1ff4d50c323ef4c1dcb42f7f911d3.png

Edited by Hairy

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

interesting and I am sure more maneuverable with the narrower tyresimage.png.e8a1239d4ae0d933c57dd4e36532fe1f.png

but then the xt250 would be more capable again?image.png.60f1ff4d50c323ef4c1dcb42f7f911d3.png

You cant carry your dog on an XT250.....

I came across a Facebook memory a while back when I still had my Triumph Bonneville where I was debating the fact that when driving past the local University on the Triumph, there was a very fine line separating Cool Guy riding a retro bike and Old guy riding past on some old bike....

Sadly I think on that day I was the latter

Dealers offering the 850gs and 850gs adv at good prices here now. Same with 1250 gs range. 

7 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Dealers offering the 850gs and 850gs adv at good prices here now. Same with 1250 gs range. 

is this due to the 1300's being on the market?