Trail Runners in Tokai...

SpyDude

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy guy/gal.. While I and many others understand what you are saying, you have to keep in mind that the committee who are tasked with managing mountain biking on behalf of TMNP are in the tough spot of having to make a decision around conflict. These are mountain bike trails and limited ones at that. There are 7kms of singletrack fun on the mountain for mountain bikes. There are 1200 riders entering the Park on weekends. Added to this, the trails are shared with other users, some of whom are not as understanding as you and this leads to conflict over space. It's only natural that this is happening, wars have only ever been about land. The committee would like this not to be a war because alliances of users garners more support which is what we are all needing. Tempers have flared yes but there has also been a certain level of decorum in this thread to find a solution.

Some wars have been over women too...

Somewhere Headshot makes a point about runners needing to respect that MTB'ers have so few trails therefore they should respect this and stay off our land....hmmmmm thats not the kind of argument thats going to win friends. As a user group we are large, are propelling vehicles with the capacity to inflict serious harm to users and cause more erosion in a National Park. We're not entitled to the use of the land, it remains a privilege. Hence we have to carry a level 3 permit and get serious uphill from SANParks.

Runners don't carry any of that baggage. If they don't pay, so what. If they run on our trails then in certain areas this raises a safety issue. These area need to be identified and signage applied to raise awareness of the danger a 650b in the crotch poses. We all know 29er were created by God himself so theres no dnager there. They're too slow anyway

This is not an issue of land rights, its an issue of safety.

I have to work and I give my proxy beer to Mayhem! ;)

this one I don't like.. can't you bunk?

this one I don't like.. can't you bunk?

Nope. Won't be there for the full day (3 hours or so) as it's my lightie's birthday party in the PM but I'll be there.