Looking for a new bike!

dofie52

I'm looking to buy a new bike in the coming weeks. So far I've looked at stuff like the Rocky Mountain Element 930 and Merida Big Ninety Nine 1000. Both of these are full suss 29ers at about 25000. I ride mostly in Tokai and I want to have as much comfort and confidence going downhill as possible without compromising uphill riding. My current bike is a Silverback Alpine 26 hardtail with a very entry level SR Suntour fork so it is definitely due for an upgrade.

Any thoughts on the bikes I've named? Any suggestions of other bikes?

Not sure if it is the same one, but when I was looking for new bikes at my LBS, the Merida Big Ninety Nine I looked at had a very chunky rear triangle, which made the bike quite heavy. Notwithstanding, my LBS said it was a great riding bike.

I ended up buying a Specialized Epic Elite and it has blown my mind. Yes, it is double the price of the Merida, but undoubtedly the right choice for me.

Can't give any insight to the Rocky Mountain, but I am seeing more of them around.

If you ride mainly in Tokai - seriously a consider 26er unless of course you are going to stick to the jeep tracks.

Best yet - Giant Trance X2 (650b)

Edited by porqui

Giant Trance or Anthem

Maestro suspension is the shizniz if you looking for comfort and good climbing ability