Sabie Experience 2014

KENDA

Hey guys

Decided to start this thread to see which hubbers are going to do the Sabie experience this year ?

I entered the Solo X.... I'm going to be a lone ranger so it might be nice to know of a bunch of other guys who have entered this swimming event......

I haven't decided on accommodation yet, IMO guest houses seem a bit steep in that area for what you get, I got a price of R 950.00 per night for 3 star accommodation lol!!! I'm thinking R 950.00 for 3 star, I'd rather just take my one man tent with........

What event you doing ? Where you staying ?

Also what wheel size you riding ? ( HAHA, I make joke, obviously you ride a 29er, 27.5 and 26 don't rotate apparently)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very tempted to go again, and I may just end up spending some lotto winnings on that.

I'll set up camp at Sabie River Camp, because '3 star' in Sabie means it's a dive, next to the sawmill, and the owner operates a small shebeen on the side, and also does not like 'all these biker types wot wot old chap'

What are the distances this year?

EDIT - Checked on website and it's change quite a bit from a few years back when we last did it. Only real tough race is the SoloX.

Interesting to see a stage race where they focus on solo riders rather than teams...

Last years distances were 30k prologue, 50k, 60k and 60k. Really nice way to end the year, might do it again this year.

i loved it. the stages were short but it meant you had masses of time to go and see stuff which if you aren't from the area is a massive bonus i think. i went to the mac mac pools one day and hung about in the lovely cold water getting sunburn then i went to kruger one day. another really worthwhile place to visit is sabie valley coffee. they do really nice lunch and obviously coffee. just don't go if you are in a rush, i have never in my life seen people move so slowly.

i stayed at the floriat which i have to say was massively overpriced.. i went back to sabie in feb for the marathon and stayed in a bnb at the end of the road the floriat is on. very reasonable, il try to find the name if anyones interested. they had 1 self catering unit and bnb

i loved it. the stages were short but it meant you had masses of time to go and see stuff which if you aren't from the area is a massive bonus i think. i went to the mac mac pools one day and hung about in the lovely cold water getting sunburn then i went to kruger one day. another really worthwhile place to visit is sabie valley coffee. they do really nice lunch and obviously coffee. just don't go if you are in a rush, i have never in my life seen people move so slowly.

i stayed at the floriat which i have to say was massively overpriced.. i went back to sabie in feb for the marathon and stayed in a bnb at the end of the road the floriat is on. very reasonable, il try to find the name if anyones interested. they had 1 self catering unit and bnb

Hi . Kindly see if you can remember the said b&b.

This is the place that quoted me.... No way I'm paying R 5000.00 in accommodation at a 3 star joint. Day light robbery. Tent and a mattress is all I need. Unless it storms then I'll just be "fml".

We did the 3-day (team wannabe) last year; although we only did 2 days due to not riding the race on President Mandela's funeral. So we have a score to settle with the 3-day race. In the process of seeing who can/can't go. Last year we camped at merry pebbles. Not a bad option.

• 4 months later...

What was the price last year? I see the SoloX is R2400 for the early bird which includes... wait for it...  great goody bags with nutrition, race booklet, local information, route profiles and other fun stuff.

Considering what you get at a race like the Sani2C, paying R600 a day for Sabie seems a little stiff?

What was the price last year? I see the SoloX is R2400 for the early bird which includes... wait for it...  great goody bags with nutrition, race booklet, local information, route profiles and other fun stuff.

Considering what you get at a race like the Sani2C, paying R600 a day for Sabie seems a little stiff?

Can't remember what the price was but there was plenty in that bag. Cycling shirt, Columbia T-shirt etc.

Early bird last year was R2200 IIRC. Goody bag had cycling shirt, t shirt, water bottles, soaps and gels and noodles etc in as well as a nice tog bag. Still pretty much the cheapest stage race with great routes and vibe. If I had the money I'd go again (and NOT eat the ******* chicken pizza)

Archived