Campagnolo Athena 11 speed Vs Shimono Ultegra 11 speed

Duimpies

Hi Guys

I am going to be setting a new bike up, just waiting for new frame to arrive. I am undesides on which groupset to go for...

Campag Athena 11 speed vs Ultegra 11 speed - both are priced more or less the same.

Any valid imputs would be appreciated....

regards

D

Edited by Duimpies

Buy what you like most. If it was Cippos money, it would be Campy. If it was me, I would choose Shimano. Look on Chainreactioncycles, they had a special on Ultegra 11x gruppos a week or so ago.

Alternatively, you could argue that both are great gruppos, so just pick the lightest one.

Edited by Christie

Buy what you like most. If it was Cippos money, it would be Campy. If it was me, I would choose Shimano. Look on Chainreactioncycles, they had a special on Ultegra 11x gruppos a week or so ago.

Alternatively, you could argue that both are great gruppos, so just pick the lightest one.

Compare prices with bike24.com. I find them cheaper always than CRC or Totalcycling.com

I think Campagnolo pitches Chorus as equivelant to Ultegra. I.e. if I buy with my head it would probably be Shimano, but I unfortunately buy with my heart, and therefore always Campagnolo.

Campag all the way.

I bought a Centaur 10-spd groupset 10 years ago and everything apart from the chain is still originals, with maintenance costs at an absolute minimum - I think I replaced the cables once.

If you have the money, the Chorus set is beautiful, and light. Installed that 2 years ago on my "racing" bike!

I think Campagnolo pitches Chorus as equivelant to Ultegra. I.e. if I buy with my head it would probably be Shimano, but I unfortunately buy with my heart, and therefore always Campagnolo.

If you look at all the comparisons on the interwebs (and there are hundreds of them), Chorus is taken as equivalent to Dura Ace. Record and Super Record are the same (Shimano doesn't have an equivalent), other than a few titanium bits and the odd red strip.

The maintenance on campy is more expensive... as is the initial price.

Unfortunately I have not yet found that logic enough to go back to Shimano. Like Wipeout said, when it comes down to the heart, there is no choice.

The Veloce gruppo on my previous bike lasted 13 years. In that time I replaced the odd cable, and only went through one chain and cassette.

Besides, buy now, before they replace all their groupsets with the new ugly cranks.

Got myself a new in box second hand full Record set from a Hubber that moved to Belgium for R12K 3 years ago, and I have not regretted it at all. He bought it and never installed it. No problems at all after almost 4 years of service.