[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

According to JumperTrax:

Glenn

Graham/ Hano

Tim

All out of Hella Valley...

ok..looks like glenn has a clear break, the other three are close together.

I think this one is going to go on for a bit. None of them will hang around Allendale/SS1 long, and strategies of where to stop first might be thrown out of the window now that there's a race on!

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok..looks like glenn has a clear break, the other three are close together.

I think this one is going to go on for a bit. None of them will hang around Allendale/SS1 long, and strategies of where to stop first might be thrown out of the window now that there's a race on!

Glenn arriving at Allendale shortly. Yip - looks like Graham/ Hano and Tim altogether, or Graham/ Hano at least in sight of Tim.

Stop at Ntsikeni, GE then push to Tinana or do they push to Ongeluks from now? :eek: ... Game on!

Edited by Ryanpmb

reckon with the good weather for next few days there will not be much stopping of any significance with these four. Rhodes in 60 hours and then take it from there.

Glenn through Allendale...

you sure? looks like he's right there moving at 0km/h.

Will have all four there just now.

must be lots of hidden agendas/race sneaks over a cup of coffee in that kitchen right now.

reckon with the good weather for next few days there will not be much stopping of any significance with these four. Rhodes in 60 hours and then take it from there.

you sure? looks like he's right there moving at 0km/h.

Will have all four there just now.

must be lots of hidden agendas/race sneaks over a cup of coffee in that kitchen right now.

Yeah JumperTrax was showing him just before, but apparently he was through (Twitter feed).

Agree with just about non stop to Rhodes... Use the weather window while you have it...

Not a problem...this whole thing of needing to trip the race comes from the guys trying to win it. I'm an adventure racer(as well as a race organiser), so am quite used to navigation - but still got lost here and there.

If you don't know how to read a map, you will have to learn pretty quickly. I did do two days on the trail just as part of training - the last two, what better experience than getting used to to the format of maps/narratives.

What's really a huge improvement is the maps being totally overhauled this year(by Cgris fisher, who starts today). I can't say enough how much of an improvement this will make for first timers.

Many people do the RASA having not seen the route. Logistically it's not always possible to do this. Spend a lot of time on Google Maps with the race maps and narratives and get in touch with previous riders (there'll be a few here on the hub and I can put you in touch with some very clued up competitors). Most of the people we met were racing/ riding slower than us and figuring the route out as they went (obviously having studied the narratives etc before hand). Many also gang up with previous riders on the route - you cannot bank on this but it often happens that you will trip with a knowledgable rider for a few days and then move on or drop off and then bump into the next bunch...

Go for it!

Thanks Ryan and Steve, I'll maybe do the R2R and trip some of the Stormberg/ Baviaans areas, but I want to do the race in 4/5 years time.

Thanks Ryan and Steve, I'll maybe do the R2R and trip some of the Stormberg/ Baviaans areas, but I want to do the race in 4/5 years time.

stutterheim area?? nooit bru. get exploring even if you're not doing the race!

pm me if you want to get hold of some of the trail resources.

stutterheim area?? nooit bru. get exploring even if you're not doing the race!

pm me if you want to get hold of some of the trail resources.

I explore lots, have been exploring these mountains on my MTB for close on 20 years, and the Transkei coast. New areas always excite me, hence the baviaans :whistling:

I think most of the maps and narratives are on the Freedom trail website.

I explore lots, have been exploring these mountains on my MTB for close on 20 years, and the Transkei coast. New areas always excite me, hence the baviaans :whistling:

I think most of the maps and narratives are on the Freedom trail website.

rad, from memory nice sections of the trail round you -

molteno-hofmeyr(maybe it's just nice because it's (mostly)all downhill)

pearston-darlington dam - kleinpoort

decent down osseberg pass into baviaanskloof is really great.

The trail director is always looking for improvements if you can find better ways round places.