[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

I would have to say that I have done a few crazy things (at least in my mind) in my time and considered some but I doubt this is something I would try, besides how tough it is ..... In the middle of WINTER? Jou kop moet bietjie raas

Seriously tough guys that start and complete this IMHO

:clap: No man !! If it was easy what fun would it be ? Every morning I open the live tracking and I get depressed !! I should be there , this race is calling my name .

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update:

Sadly adventure racer couple Chris and Julia Fisher are out, Chris's knee given up the ghost....they will be back.

(real pity because Chris redid the maps this year which are by all accounts fantastic and Chris and Julia used to post great pics).

:clap: No man !! If it was easy what fun would it be ? Every morning I open the live tracking and I get depressed !! I should be there , this race is calling my name .

I wont lie....i am feeling the same...maybe i will dip my toe in the water and do the R2R before committing to the full monty next year.

My biggest fear is the navo part....with my skills i might end up in maputo or something. Also its seems the prep is half of the fun of this event. It not a case of getting to the startline with 2 bottles of game and a gel

I wont lie....i am feeling the same...maybe i will dip my toe in the water and do the R2R before committing to the full monty next year.

My biggest fear is the navo part....with my skills i might end up in maputo or something. Also its seems the prep is half of the fun of this event. It not a case of getting to the startline with 2 bottles of game and a gel

:clap: Thug will be able to comment on my navigational skills . I always gets lost at AR races . Been reading a lot of blogs the last few weeks and yes prep seems to be a very big part of the race but lots of info from previous riders

@barklyboy reporting on -10 in Barkly area this morn.....

Marnitz slept out near Moordenaarspoort in the same area

Danie at Moordenaarspoort Farm will welcome him, special people there, very proud 7th/8th generation farmers, humbling to see how proud they are of their heritage and passionate they are about this country.

@barklyboy reporting on -10 in Barkly area this morn.....

Marnitz slept out near Moordenaarspoort in the same area

Danie at Moordenaarspoort Farm will welcome him, special people there, very proud 7th/8th generation farmers, humbling to see how proud they are of their heritage and passionate they are about this country.

Last night when we were freezing. We were thinking of crazy Marnitz out in the boendoes. Tell you that crazy friend of ours is sometimes too brave for his own good.

Wonder if he'll do it again next year.. cause every year he tells us it's his last one.. and every year he does it again.

thats quite ironic- I went in 'unprepared' in 2012 - took 3 days to decide to go, had no boxes, I 'bought' another racers who had withdrawn - had no idea what I would get each day. Started with game in my 2 bottles and 1 gel in my bag, remember saying to Dave race director as we were about the start that I was going to try and do the whole ride on normal food. Biggest asset was my attitude/ resolve and my kit from previous year, I was there to finish this time come hell or high water - the rest were minor details.

to be honest there is so much race junk food in the abandoned/ disused boxes you can rely on that if you need it, but you need to eat the proper food when you see it - the vetkoek, meat, biltong, veggies and soups

thats quite ironic- I went in 'unprepared' in 2012 - took 3 days to decide to go, had no boxes, I 'bought' another racers who had withdrawn - had no idea what I would get each day. Started with game in my 2 bottles and 1 gel in my bag, remember saying to Dave race director as we were about the start that I was going to try and do the whole ride on normal food. Biggest asset was my attitude/ resolve and my kit from previous year, I was there to finish this time come hell or high water - the rest were minor details.

to be honest there is so much race junk food in the abandoned/ disused boxes you can rely on that if you need it, but you need to eat the proper food when you see it - the vetkoek, meat, biltong, veggies and soups

hahahha...classic. I am a big fan on racing on good ol game or whatever sugary drink is in my fridge at the time...flat coke / sprite / monster....whatever...dilute with water and off I go. Same with gels...i only pull a grenade if I am deep in mordor otherwise not. The prep I am referering to is the kit really...paniers / clothes / sleeping bags / gloves / socks etc for the elements.

hahahha...classic. I am a big fan on racing on good ol game or whatever sugary drink is in my fridge at the time...flat coke / sprite / monster....whatever...dilute with water and off I go. Same with gels...i only pull a grenade if I am deep in mordor otherwise not. The prep I am referering to is the kit really...paniers / clothes / sleeping bags / gloves / socks etc for the elements.

thats vrek funny - "the grenade in mordor"....confess to have done that too, even Chris Froome did it last year and got pinged, now he packs the inhaler....

the kit, bike and attitude are critical - navigation helps........

talking of Mordor, which is what Alex Harris termed the Baviaans in 2011 after the floods, it has had another year of rampant growth with good rains, I expect the Osseberg entry to the kloof will try its utmost best to detain some of the riders, perhaps even torment one or two for a night

what goes on in that part of the Baviaans is primal

thats vrek funny - "the grenade in mordor"....confess to have done that too, even Chris Froome did it last year and got pinged, now he packs the inhaler....

the kit, bike and attitude are critical - navigation helps........

So there is hope for me then...I mean kit i can buy, bikes I have(my steel donkey might be perfect for this)....I think I can bytvas when in mordor(a good ol cry under a tree does wonders). navigation....hmmmm do you get topo maps and directions or how does it work?

Update: Sadly adventure racer couple Chris and Julia Fisher are out, Chris's knee given up the ghost....they will be back. (real pity because Chris redid the maps this year which are by all accounts fantastic and Chris and Julia used to post great pics).

Expedition africa was pretty tough this year, and since it was moved 2 weeks later meant 2 weeks less recovery. He says he can't ride or walk, so was actually only feasible option. The maps are much improved.

I wont lie....i am feeling the same...maybe i will dip my toe in the water and do the R2R before committing to the full monty next year. My biggest fear is the navo part....with my skills i might end up in maputo or something. Also its seems the prep is half of the fun of this event. It not a case of getting to the startline with 2 bottles of game and a gel

NAVO? what's that? i organise adventure races, which means i also need to organise nav courses because some people assume maps are easy. get the basics right and it's not so hard, just need to be observant and not stubborn...worst navigators are the guys who assume they are always right(and end up the wrong valley blaming the map)

NAVO? what's that? i organise adventure races, which means i also need to organise nav courses because some people assume maps are easy. get the basics right and it's not so hard, just need to be observant and not stubborn...worst navigators are the guys who assume they are always right(and end up the wrong valley blaming the map)

Navigation yes....bad acronym soz...but yes I fear it cause I have never done it. How does it work with RASA, do you get a pack of topo maps and off you go, do you get directions, how hard is it?

The Freedom Challenge (RASA, R2R) vs Epic vs Munga......

Going to wade into this one as I am surprised it hasn't come up, but I like the fact that there is not too much debate about this among the guys following this thread, that the guys here don't bash other races

I think they are all different beasts. pretty sure martin dreyer couldn't win epic(he's got top50 before - respect), but sauser would have a chance at all three.

Munga is going to draw the elites...and it will be more of an epic/24hr type rider winning it than anyone with FC skills. no nav and sleep strategy is going to be a small part of it...all about the Vo2max

Navigation yes....bad acronym soz...but yes I fear it cause I have never done it. How does it work with RASA, do you get a pack of topo maps and off you go, do you get directions, how hard is it?

you get maps...which are detailed and as up to date as can be found. And then there are written directions called the narrative with kilometer readings.

this is the section, where ironically enough the guy who just redid all the maps has just pulled out from. it is MUCH improved from previous years, i expect a lot less nav issues from this year on. I can't say this enough.

post-1830-0-86723800-1403251753_thumb.png

Bp6VNqCCIAEMXlJ.jpg

you get maps...which are detailed and as up to date as can be found. And then there are written directions called the narrative with kilometer readings.

this is the section, where ironically enough the guy who just redid all the maps has just pulled out from. it is MUCH improved from previous years, i expect a lot less nav issues from this year on. I can't say this enough.

post-1830-0-86723800-1403251753_thumb.png

Bp6VNqCCIAEMXlJ.jpg

I read this document and get the feeling that you will be able to navigate by using this . But maybe we will get more feedback from the people who are using those directions this year .