Mountain bike community launches anti-rogue riding campaign

News bot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm first going to check with our membership administrator and make sure none of the "offenders" have taken membership in the last 72 hours. One rogue rider seen on the trail today had his PPA bike board on and details have been requested from the PPA offices.

If anybody is in doubt when riding Tygerberg trails: Hooggekraal, Contermanskloof and Meerendal sell day permits. All trails marked as "Members Only" are for the privilege of those whose memberships funded the building of the trails.

Other countries have passages/routes/pathways that are "right of way"

ie UK

https://www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land/public-rights-of-way

Personally I don't believe anyone should have an absolute claim to ownership of the land, we are just custodians of it. Okay, security around one's abode requires a seclusion zone, but right of passage through farm and open land should be a constitutional right in my opinion, at least in designated pathways.

One of the reasons I say this, is that there was a time when someone came along and staked out / claimed the land for themselves, normally by force and evicting/exterminating/enslaving those who had occupied or shared the land, or were nomadic. This was quite recent in our own history, and I invite you to read the first few Chapters of "The native races of South Africa" which was written over 100 years ago.

ie UK

https://www.gov.uk/r...c-rights-of-way

Personally I don't believe anyone should have an absolute claim to ownership of the land, we are just custodians of it. Okay, security around one's abode requires a seclusion zone, but right of passage through farm and open land should be a constitutional right in my opinion, at least in designated pathways.

One of the reasons I say this, is that there was a time when someone came along and staked out / claimed the land for themselves, normally by force and evicting/exterminating/enslaving those who had occupied or shared the land, or were nomadic. This was quite recent in our own history, and I invite you to read the first few Chapters of "The native races of South Africa" which was written over 100 years ago.

I think one can distinguish between the right of passage on an old pathway that "traditionally" linked places of interest like for example "Die Leer" at The Hell vs a purpose built mtb trail on top of a mountain like the one Rapunzel is referring to that was never part of any pathway and is not linking anything.

I know that legally there isn't much I can do but I'd love to give these guys the bad publicity they deserve. What say you hubbers?

My answer, if non-members can keep illegally riding on those trails without any consequences what incentive do they have to stop or take out membership?

My answer, if non-members can keep illegally riding on those trails without any consequences what incentive do they have to stop or take out membership?

Thing is the consequences are already set out. 3 year ban from any event organised by the stakeholders as well as a 3 year ban from the landowners that signed up (as per the first post)

it just needs to be enforced.

what part of that do you need assistance with?

think Activity card and night rides

Perhaps avatar was thinking about mtb trails on public property?

For example, you build a trail in a public park open to everyone. Can you charge people money to ride or limit access? Think the spruit.

Or what does 'public mtb trail' mean?

I guess it comes down to respect for others. There are so many people doing great work to keep trails maintained and asking way too little money if time and effort are taken into account. And trespassing on private land to ride is just wrong, even if it is a farm.

ie UK

https://www.gov.uk/r...c-rights-of-way

Right of way is effectively to get from A to B. What we have here is free loaders that are wanting to ride trails that cost our club members anywhere between R20 000 and R60 000 per km to build.

The farmers generally do allow runners to access the jeep tracks across the farms so many do appear to consider their land as also belonging to the community.

Guest Omega Man

Interesting that we're not alone. There was an article posted on Pinkbike about rogue building yesterday.

http://www.pinkbike....ping-point.html

And in Morzine there have been ongoing negotiations with land owners for land access for more than 10 years.

Mountain bikers are exploratory by nature. That's one of the reasons we were attracted to Mountain Biking as a sport in the first place. But there's just too many of us now to slip through a fence unnoticed anymore. We've also shot ourselves in the foot with Stava and POV camera's providing ample evidence of our escapades.

As much as we'd all like Carte Blanche to do as we please we have to respect the land owners if we'd like to continue to get access to THEIR property. I don't think this a "right of passage" issue at all. Let's be honest here. It's the South African way to try and jip the system. That's all it is.

I do believe that we are in the beginning stages of a golden era for mountain biking in SA where we'll see increased land access and large linked trail networks being created all over the place with quality trail being created to satisfy all of our wants and needs. It's already happening. Just think of the places within easy driving distance of your home where there are purpose built trails for you to ride.

I also think we'll start seeing increased access into other areas that were previously off limits to us such as Urban Greenbelts.

But we are going to have to grow up and drop the whole **** YOU I'VE BEEN RIDING HERE FOR 15 YEARS attitude.

Edited by Omega Man

The Pinkbike poll is telling: That the majority of mountainbikers know it is heading for big trouble. Also, that if you add up the "don't cares" and the don't knows" and the "I don't think it is an issues" you get a bit more than a third of all. So, a fair number of problem children. Interesting, I wonder what a poll here on the Hub will reveal. Anyone?

Guest Omega Man

I wonder what a poll here on the Hub will reveal. Anyone?

Haha. That poll is more about rogue building than rogue riding. The average SA mountain biker thinks that trail magically appears out of thin air for free and overnight.

It also maintains itself, digs it's own water run off and builds it's own trail features.

Easy fix just ride open land! Have 2 MTB trails one connected to my estate as I'm not a member I ride the open trails about 2 km away! Lots of open space in our country just find it and ride it.

Paying membership and locking oneself to a trail for a year isn't my think! That said I don't ride any cycle parks as I respect the rights of others to charge as they see fit.

I have found that if you have lots of motorcycle activity the trails grow substantial in any open space.

Watched a docie last night "Ladder Bridges" on the North Shore scene, all the 'zones' were rogue, many got pulled down, but the scene grew,the builders moved to other more welcoming areas, and sky resorts like Whistler embraced the emerging sport and culture and look where we are today.

Must say Vancouver sounds / looks like a great place live. Think I might pack my bags. Doccie is on cyclingtorrents btw

Back to the North Shore, the guys who built those zones there did so out of their own pockets, for no income or rewards other than the satisfaction of having others appreciate and use their ingenuity and work of art. Whilst back home its all about the money, right? Though I did see a guy working hard and non-stop on a Jump Track at Groenies yesterday.

Edited by kosmonooit