exxxxxxxxxxtra wiiiiiiiide bars

sadamhussein

500/50 - very twitchy - requires very small movements to point in the right direction.

500/100 - not as twitchy, but very unstable (weight further forward on the bike so you can't really position yourself properly

500/200 - EXTREMELY unstable. Steering input would be extremely dull, but you'd also be very unstable. Think time trial bike, in the drops at the front. Not anywhere near as stable as your weight would be far in front of the axle.

That stability you are referring to is dependant on terrain. It would actually be more stable on smooth, flat surfaces like tar roads but extremely unstable where you have to constantly fight the bars to correct your line - as you would through a rooty section or rock garden.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That stability you are referring to is dependant on terrain. It would actually be more stable on smooth, flat surfaces like tar roads but extremely unstable where you have to constantly fight the bars to correct your line - as you would through a rooty section or rock garden.

Indeed. Stable in a straight line and in non tech situations. as soon as you need to turn, or go over a small bump, that "stability" is lost

I guess its a case of each to his/her own. I've seen and appreciate the handling improvement that wider bars can have on a twitchy frame and the confidence in cornering, high speed riding and tech terrain- that goes with more assertive steering.

I ride 780mm Octane One Chemical bars - coming from 680mm Azonic Strip bar - and I'm not looking back...but every now and then there's the pinky / tree dilemma.

I guess its a case of each to his/her own. I've seen and appreciate the handling improvement that wider bars can have on a twitchy frame and the confidence in cornering, high speed riding and tech terrain- that goes with more assertive steering.

I ride 780mm Octane One Chemical bars - coming from 680mm Azonic Strip bar - and I'm not looking back...but every now and then there's the pinky / tree dilemma.

just cut down your pinky :P