Is this repairable?

Andre_vdm

I think this might have happened at the last USN mtb cup at The Big Red barn and only noticed it yesterday. Could this be repaired somehow or is it useless? It is a brand new Schwalbe Racing Ralph and only done 200km on it.

post-47580-0-14578300-1402986096_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're not running tubeless, take the tire off and stitch it up with tooth floss to prevent it from tearing open/further. Then stick a patch/gator over the patch on the inside.

I suppose this could work on a tubeless setup if you use a big enough gator.

EDIT: sp

Edited by Helpmytrap

If it has held air for the last week then leave it alone...I personally would repair it but a cut like that there is no guarantee that the repair will hold and for how long...

it can be prepaired but be prepaired for possible bigger troubles if it goes while riding.personaly would not repair and ride with it

Looking at it, I will rather replace. This might just be a repair to bigger damage and cost.

Need a better pic.

If it's only the top layer then you still good, just clean the area well and use a rubber specific glue to stick down the flaps and maybe build it up a bit.

The question is:

Do you go down this insane MTB descent at 40km+ knowing that your tyre is shot ? or over rocky terrain and then getting stuck in race?

Medical bills may be far more expensive than the replacement tyre.

Replace the tyre and write it off against a good day of racing.

Stitching it up and patching from the inside works like a charm. I ran a Continental Racing King tubeless that way for over a year with no problems. I used super glue to stick two big patches over each other to cover the surgery.

Luckily I still have one of my old replaced Schwalbe tires lying around and fitted it for the time being(Not much tread left). But before I toss the new one I guess I might as well just try and give it some stitches and a patch.