SANPARKS upgrades announcement re Tokai

tubed

They're already busy fixing the road. Pity though, I know some who were making a good living from all the fillings that shook loose from peoples teeth. ;)

I loved that road, mainly because the Subarus and GTis with their low profiles would tailgate me up Tokai road - until we got to that section where tar and dirt were in equal parts with potholes, then I just kept the Landy going at the same speed and the boy racers dropped back like they were looking for parking. :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comment removed by my internal moderator.

hahahaha haha!

Edit: Oh damn. I get exactly what you're saying, and know exactly why you deleted it.

We need to get those funds coming in as much as possible. ALL donors are welcome, regardless of the amount donated. It all counts.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

thanks for note quoting my original comment. hehe.

pleasure, dude. would have done a bit of damage to the fundraising initiative IMO. If someone had bleated, that is.

I agree with you, but if I want to take my wife and daughters to ride there for fun, so I must pay R135 for them to ride for one hour. Crazy! They only ride maybe once a month and annual permit is not worth it for them..

quit bitching for bitchings sake. You sound like a whining American :)

If they only ride one day a month then whats the problem? Maybe get them to ride for two hours instead so its better value for money.

quit bitching for bitchings sake. You sound like a whining American :)

If they only ride one day a month then whats the problem? Maybe get them to ride for two hours instead so its better value for money.

Still cheaper than a movie!

Then buy an annual permit...

You can't keep using that justification

Buying an annual permit doesn't make his point any less valid.

As he explains in his later post

You can't keep using that justification

Buying an annual permit doesn't make his point any less valid.

As he explains in his later post

Thing is, Dave, I can and I will.

its still cheaper than a movie. and healthier. Once a month at R 135 per time is still cheap by anyone's reckoning.

Thing is, Dave, I can and I will.

its still cheaper than a movie. and healthier. Once a month at R 135 per time is still cheap by anyone's reckoning.

For those who don't ride Tokai enough to make it worthwhile to buy a permit, it's exorbitant for the amount trails there.

For those who don't ride Tokai enough to make it worthwhile to buy a permit, it's exorbitant for the amount trails there.

And still, it's cheaper than riding once a month and buying a day pass each time.

Still cheaper than a breakfast for 2 at spur, or a 2 hour sugar fest at the movies, and many many many other things we could do. The aquarium is R 110 per adult each time you go.

I think (personally) that people just don't appreciate that you are riding in a national park.

A thought I've just had: would that day permit be usable on Table Mountain side? Say ride tokai in the morning, then go to the front of Table Mountain in the pm. Seeing as there aren't any day pass stalls on that side and you need a pass to ride there...

Agreed! In other words, it is about WHAT & HOW it is done.

Parks used to build the most terribly unimaginative and boring buildings on earth, looking more suited to .....well.....m....... I can't think of someone deserving of such blandness.

But lately they got proper architects and design people to come up with some very good plans for them. I hope that they will do the same in Tokai. Restore the historic buildings like the manor house and make them live again, serving a modern purpose. I think they have already done extensive work on that, but at the moment it is a dead building. Whatever they build new should fit in with the area as well as be green from the ground up. Interesting challenge that.

I like the multi-use of the area. That means keeping the stables, perhaps upgrading the paddocks, what about a riding school? Keep some picnic area and get a proper restaurant going. I also wouldn't mind if they rent some of the manor house outbuildings to tenants in the green or tourism sector. Imagine a green architect office there, or an artist studio where they sculpt with recycled materials. I can also see some bike wash areas and a better parking area for cyclists. I trust they will avoid the "mall all look alike" development of Westlake and Steenberg and make it look rural The better the whole property work, the less attractive it will be to the loiterers and the vandals.

The whole area at the moment is dysfunctional and not serving a clear purpose. Some buildings are falling down, roads are falling apart, sewerage is dodgy (smell Listers on a hot day). It needs a serious makeover, provided it is done properly, it can be a gem.

Lastly, I truly think they should consider upping the small annual amount they put towards maintaining the mtb trails in a very big way. Not only is it the right thing to do, but they will share in the fruits of that investment.

(Edit : This is just my 2c, I have no connection with SANParks)

I've seen some of the proposals for the Manor which were circulated as part of the EIA, and it looks pretty cool. Lots of effort going into keeping the rural theme, and the character of the building. As the building is a national monument they'll be very limited as to wot they can do with the exterior of the building.

And still, it's cheaper than riding once a month and buying a day pass each time.

Still cheaper than a breakfast for 2 at spur, or a 2 hour sugar fest at the movies, and many many many other things we could do. The aquarium is R 110 per adult each time you go.

I think (personally) that people just don't appreciate that you are riding in a national park.

A thought I've just had: would that day permit be usable on Table Mountain side? Say ride tokai in the morning, then go to the front of Table Mountain in the pm. Seeing as there aren't any day pass stalls on that side and you need a pass to ride there...

All SANParks should do to make that day permit look like the bargain of a lifetime, is to let you ride from Tokai, through Cecilia, Newlands, Rhodes Memorial, Blockhouse, Deer Park, Signal Hill, Camps Bay, Hout Bay, Chappies, Ou Wapad, Silvermine, and back to Tokai! They don't even have to build anything, just say the word. Stroke of a pen. Use common sense, stop hiding behind fancy academic acronyms.

I'm gatvol of waiting and talking. I want it, and I want it now. Oh my #@%&**, I've quoted Queen!

All SANParks should do to make that day permit look like the bargain of a lifetime, is to let you ride from Tokai, through Cecilia, Newlands, Rhodes Memorial, Blockhouse, Deer Park, Signal Hill, Camps Bay, Hout Bay, Chappies, Ou Wapad, Silvermine, and back to Tokai! They don't even have to build anything, just say the word. Stroke of a pen. Use common sense, stop hiding behind fancy academic acronyms.

I'm gatvol of waiting and talking. I want it, and I want it now. Oh my #@%&**, I've quoted Queen!

Everything is awesome! Everything is awesome when you're part of a team!!!

I've just quoted the theme song from The Lego Movie. Feel better?

Still topical...