SANPARKS upgrades announcement re Tokai

tubed

All SANParks should do to make that day permit look like the bargain of a lifetime, is to let you ride from Tokai, through Cecilia, Newlands, Rhodes Memorial, Blockhouse, Deer Park, Signal Hill, Camps Bay, Hout Bay, Chappies, Ou Wapad, Silvermine, and back to Tokai!

always said that that route would make for an awesome Argus MTB Cycletour, 2 Oceans MTB marathon routes.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am trying to keep an open mind on todays announcement: perhaps amongst the new roads to the new 'green building' offices there will be some infrastructure spend on mtb.

From the official press release: Tokai is a major gateway for local users and is also due for infrastructure investment which will benefit a further component of our stakeholders. Visitors can look forward to a multi-user access road and improved services to the area. The overall development will require a new office building for the park which will be built according to “green building” principles. http://www.sanparks....lt.php?id=56099

more here:

At Tokai, close to R11m will be spent.

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/copy-of-ca-p6-tmnp-birthday-done-1.1706443!/image/3354766819.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/3354766819.jpg

Table Mountain National Park manager Paddy Gordon and Mayco member for community services and special projects Belinda Walker cut the birthday cake at the Park's 16th birthday celebration at Cape Point.

supplied

Work here will include upgrading and widening the entrance road leading to the historic manor house – currently in a terrible condition – and adding pedestrian and cycle lanes, while a new office for the national park built according to “green” building principles is also part of the plan for this precinct

http://www.iol.co.za...44#.U6Q6xfmSw5w

Call me cynical but I doubt much will be spent on the actual mountain and MTB related things specifically, I really hope I'm wrong
sure those offices are going to be very fancy. ....wait a second. ...Could the sudden haste to fine riders on the City side of table Mountain who do not have cards be a bit of a cash injection into this project?

All SANParks should do to make that day permit look like the bargain of a lifetime, is to let you ride from Tokai, through Cecilia, Newlands, Rhodes Memorial, Blockhouse, Deer Park, Signal Hill, Camps Bay, Hout Bay, Chappies, Ou Wapad, Silvermine, and back to Tokai! They don't even have to build anything, just say the word. Stroke of a pen. Use common sense, stop hiding behind fancy academic acronyms.

I'm gatvol of waiting and talking. I want it, and I want it now. Oh my #@%&**, I've quoted Queen!

That sounds awesome and painful and incredible and totally mindblowing all at the same time! The ups, the downs, the views and oh what a sweet feeling it'll be when you finish that ride!

@ Mntboy

There has been talks and plans for a route like this for many years, but, sadly, I do not think it is any closer to becoming a reality than it was 5 years ago. It really IS something that will be awesome for Cape Town, but nobody seems to have a way to make it happen. That is why I hope some "conservation dictator" will come along and just decree it. I don't see the "committee" way of doing things ever achieving that dream.

Edited by DJR

agreed DJR: unless sanparks sees the trees and trails as part of a committed business plan, the status quo will remain ad nauseum. Thing is, organisers for big events like the argus should have some heavy influence at a higher level than just sanparks. Good business tends to line many pockets. I hate to argue this way, but its a fact of our current system. I wish someone at that level would actively start lobbying for a change of approach from sanparks. I'm surprised that the financial status of the TMTBC hasn't caught the eye of local politicians. There's a lot of money locked up in trail access fees. Maybe the direction from whoever should be to focus on unlocking that revenue stream as opposed to harping on about trails. The former is an enveloping argument while the latter is end user ideal without striking chords in the money-whores.

Agreed. But the majority of people complaining are more your middle classmen.

And why should that make a difference?

To clarify - the argument on cost would have some credence if coming from someone with low affordability and or earnings. Coming from someone with the affordability (most of the people on this forum) it doesn't have nearly as much credence. In my opinion, that is.

Btw. I still view the activity card as being immense value for money. 450 per year or whatever it is, for unlimited access to the mtb trails during the day and at times during the evening. In a national park. That's less than 10% of the cost of a gym contract. Or 2 coffees per month. One craft beer. For the cost of a SINGLE lunch at groot constantia you've got year round access.

Yes, the R 45 per month is disconnected from the annual cost, but no more than the honesty box system at tygerberg or contermans or steilte, to name a few.

Btw. I still view the activity card as being immense value for money. 450 per year or whatever it is, for unlimited access to the mtb trails during the day and at times during the evening. In a national park. That's less than 10% of the cost of a gym contract. Or 2 coffees per month. One craft beer. For the cost of a SINGLE lunch at groot constantia you've got year round access.

Yes, the R 45 per month is disconnected from the annual cost, but no more than the honesty box system at tygerberg or contermans or steilte, to name a few.

There is no dispute it makes more sense to get an annual permit. But some cannot do that and at R45 per day is high. Especially when it doesn't go into paying for the trails, we do this ourself through blood, sweat and some private funding.

You should know that at the end of the month and expense of R430 might be possible, and R45 for a once off is too steep. But being that MTB is more addictive than cocaine some are forced to take the daily cost.

Per day the Tygerbergmtb trails are cheaper at R30. And because they are private trails can be justified.

AFAIK being a public space I'm already paying a portion of SANPARKS/TMNP through my taxes.

To add

with a 19.4% increase of the activity permit from last year what will the price on that be next year? R585? And the following year? R698? It'll get to a point when it won't be worth it especially if no more trails are added

Dave, I suppose the difference in our views is that I believe R 45 is still cheap in today's economy. If you don't think it represents value for you, that's fine. But "too steep" is a very subjective term and I for one would far rather spend R 45 for an afternoon of mtb than for a beer.

I think the day charge isn't that high when comparing it to other activities. Can we agree to disagree on this matter?

Btw - I'd fully support a tier based fee for those less fortunate than us, based on your family income... but that would be subject to abuse, and I'd only support it If upon failure to prove your income you get charged the normal fee. And then you're recorded on that level through your ID number so that once proven you can always get access to that reduced fee. That would also help to open it up to those who aren't as fortunate.

Agreed. But the majority of people complaining are more your middle classmen.

Dave, I suppose the difference in our views is that I believe R 45 is still cheap in today's economy. If you don't think it represents value for you, that's fine. But "too steep" is a very subjective term and I for one would far rather spend R 45 for an afternoon of mtb than for a beer.

I think the day charge isn't that high when comparing it to other activities. Can we agree to disagree on this matter?

Btw - I'd fully support a tier based fee for those less fortunate than us, based on your family income... but that would be subject to abuse, and I'd only support it If upon failure to prove your income you get charged the normal fee. And then you're recorded on that level through your ID number so that once proven you can always get access to that reduced fee. That would also help to open it up to those who aren't as fortunate.

R45 is a fee that I personally consider too high.

B bringing in a discount system for lower income users is discriminatory.

Jonkers entry is very nearly exactly half that of tokai.

Recon that the powers be know they have a cash core that will keep coming to the sheds to be milked no matter what.

Yes a year card seems to be good value for money compared to a day entry.

As a Tygerberg member my fees go to access and a full maintenance and trail building crew.....That is value.