Online Racing - Virtualtraining (Cyclops)

Garfield2010

Saag my buddy...I'm a one hit wonder!

Any way, after seeing your FTP improvements last few weeks, I thought I should up my game!

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  Dont worry, now you must start to win! I'll be your biggest supporter, shouting louder than Lea Davison's mom :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sjoe, you guys are "serious" racers, so here go my short bio:

37 years old.

Started MTB last year Feb, having done no exercise for the last 8 years and weighing 90Kg, for a guy just, just reaching 1.70m that was heavy!

Now sitting at 72Kg (so 5 more to go!), do the Tuesday evening race, one more early morning 1h session and hopefully a 2 hour outdoor MTB ride on the weekend.

My aim is also 8h per week, but according to strava I manage 4h consistently.

O, have the guys that started adding weights to their training seen a big gain in their cycling performance?

Dirty :whistling: , here is my 2 weeks old undies then: :eek:

We are basically the same age. What is your HR for the above? Mine was 172bpm. In my case when my avg hr is lower than 170bpm for these online race I know I am tired or coming down with something

O, have the guys that started adding weights to their training seen a big gain in their cycling performance?

I don't really add the weights for cycling but more for general health (and my wife likes my arms...), but it is another way of training and has some beneficial cross over. Personally I pick up muscle mass very quickly and have to balance the weight gain against the benefits.

We are basically the same age. What is your HR for the above? Mine was 172bpm. In my case when my avg hr is lower than 170bpm for these online race I know I am tired or coming down with something

Hi Jaco, I saw, with my stats wanted to say I'm a 92 year old lady  :whistling: , but we are all friends on here :thumbup:

In the 1.5 years I have been cycling, I only once managed to get my HR up to 171! For last night I see the average was 158  :blush: . In some of the previous ones I went up to 162.

In real races (read easy :ph34r:) such as the advendurance stuff etc I do the marathons and end up averaging 148-152 over the full distance. Don't know if I'm lazy or just like revving like a diesel truck :eek:. Next week I will try and push harder to see if it is a mental block where I end up limiting myself???

I don't really add the weights for cycling but more for general health (and my wife likes my arms...), but it is another way of training and has some beneficial cross over. Personally I pick up muscle mass very quickly and have to balance the weight gain against the benefits.

Good to know....about your wife liking your...arms :ph34r:

I used to do a lot of gym work 15 years ago, and due to my short stature and build, I also put on muscle mass fast. Was just worried that if I start putting it on now that it might work against me.

Good to know....about your wife liking your...arms :ph34r:

I used to do a lot of gym work 15 years ago, and due to my short stature and build, I also put on muscle mass fast. Was just worried that if I start putting it on now that it might work against me.

The big benefit of being older is that I always have some belly fat to trade in for some muscle.... Last year it worked well to bulk up early season and then stop weight training progressively during the season that some non- cycling muscles diminish as the season goes on. The fact is that the bigger muscle mass helps to burn off the winter fat.

Sjoe, you guys are "serious" racers, so here go my short bio:

37 years old.

Started MTB last year Feb, having done no exercise for the last 8 years and weighing 90Kg, for a guy just, just reaching 1.70m that was heavy!

Now sitting at 72Kg (so 5 more to go!), do the Tuesday evening race, one more early morning 1h session and hopefully a 2 hour outdoor MTB ride on the weekend.

My aim is also 8h per week, but according to strava I manage 4h consistently.

Saag,

We are very similar in height and weight!  (OK your's a decade younger :w00t: ) You welcome to join us for some training sessions at Modders and SBR some time!

The quickest way to get stronger and faster - train with someone faster and stronger...luckily I have quick and stronger riding buddies always pushing me!

That and the online race competitiveness can only help with improvement!

Dirty :whistling: , here is my 2 weeks old undies then: :eek:

What I find interesting is the Power pie charts to HR pie chart...

I know I have adjusted my HR zones to what I "feel" is right, but by results are almost the opposite to yours...my power is almost all in the "race" zone, but HR in the Threshold zone...

Not sure what that means...

I did the velodome route yesterday. I can tell you that it feels like riding 35kg on a slight uphill gradient. Tuesday will be hard

I did the velodome route yesterday. I can tell you that it feels like riding 35kg on a slight uphill gradient. Tuesday will be hard

eish....

What I find interesting is the Power pie charts to HR pie chart...

I know I have adjusted my HR zones to what I "feel" is right, but by results are almost the opposite to yours...my power is almost all in the "race" zone, but HR in the Threshold zone...

Not sure what that means...

I would also like to know. Very interesting indeed.

Archived