Tokai again - the Bridal Switchbacks (such as they are...)

Headshot

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, it can do with a lot of manicuring a.t.m. That will happen soon, I think, on 5July :thumbup:

Once upon a time, when the trees were tall and the single track flowed, the bridal path was my favourite piece of single track in the world.

Now it sort of reminds me of being chased by an avalanche through Mordor...

It still has potential and I say we don't let it go to waste!

VIVA BUILD DAY! VIVA!

While this is an awesome trail it has a pretty steep fall line (grade) considering the slope its on. With hardly any grade reversalls managing runoff is critical, evidence of that are the ruts and cross trail erosion. It's in a sad state and requires a serious repair job.

Diagnosis: Given a committed team of 6 people.

- 2 days to cut it open, may need a chainsaw in places.

- 2 days to touch up all the bends, 2 more to fix them properly.

- 2 days at best to angle the tread and dig decent run-offs, seriously bad cross erosion.

- some rain and riding in to compact

- further maintenance on the complete trail on a bi-monthly basis.

It's not a "build day" quick fix and the time alotted above is the bare minmum it would take. Get a contractor to do a proper job and the MTB community (clubs) who ride there come up with ways to fill the kitty and pay. Not a simple solution but the alternative is what one sees on the video.

Edited by Hellwarp

While this is an awesome trail it has a pretty steep fall line (grade) considering the slope its on. With hardly any grade reversalls managing runoff is critical, evidence of that are the ruts and cross trail erosion. It's in a sad state and requires a serious repair job.

- 2 days at best to angle the tread and dig decent run-offs, seriously bad cross erosion.

It's not a "build day" quick fix and the time alotted above is the bare minmum it would take. Get a contractor to do a proper job and the MTB community (clubs) who ride there come up with ways to fill the kitty and pay. Not a simple solution but the alternative is what one sees on the video.

Thanks, bro - that's why Bennet Nel and Deon de Villiers are there. Trust me, it's covered.

Oh - and the reason for the cross-trail erosion? Record setting rainfall last year and 3 separate landslides on that slope. It used to be under cover of trees (pine plantation) hence a lesser need for erosion control as there was no real exposure to torrential rain and wind.

Agreed, but a build day will at least get it a bit more rideable for those that are riding it any way. We can't go making it to easy now :ph34r:

For the moment a build day can remove some of the bush, loose rocks and take that one tree stump out from the slide area.

It's not a "build day" quick fix

Correct, it will basically be preventative maintenance just to keep it from further deterioration.

Yes, Bennet Nel and his team needs to tackle this.

That guy can do wonders

In the mean while let's get on to it on build day - you will be surprised how much can be done - don't want a highway.

Already enjoying it as is.

If we can get 12 guys out there like last build day we will be on our way.

Tree and sapling clearing will take two guys about 3hrs tops - without a chainsaw.

Bends aren't too bad - six guys six hrs - done

Ruts and run-offs would need a build team.

Ridden it 3 times in the last two weeks!

Now if we keep this thread on top for some days this week and next week we could maybe get more to come.

Advertise the Cape Brewing Company beers to be had and we could aim for 18 able bodies.

Come join us for some fellowship!!

In the mean while let's get on to it on build day - you will be surprised how much can be done - don't want a highway.

Already enjoying it as is.

If we can get 12 guys out there like last build day we will be on our way.

Tree and sapling clearing will take two guys about 3hrs tops - without a chainsaw.

Bends aren't too bad - six guys six hrs - done

Ruts and run-offs would need a build team.

Ridden it 3 times in the last two weeks!

Now if we keep this thread on top for some days this week and next week we could maybe get more to come.

Advertise the Cape Brewing Company beers to be had and we could aim for 18 able bodies.

Come join us for some fellowship!!

You clearly haven't seen me with a machete. It's diabolical.