First time I missed my 26er

CraigCCW

It's much more like riding an MX bike - throw the bike over and keep yourself more upright and forward on the bike is the best way I can explain it - and you actually have to turn the handlebars....

Pretty counter intuitive compared to a 26er.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's much more like riding an MX bike - throw the bike over and keep yourself more upright and forward on the bike is the best way I can explain it - and you actually have to turn the handlebars....

Thats the biggest thing I've notice, still battle with it though.

I will offer a solution, based on some experience I had many years ago.

See I use to deliver newspapers in the afternoons, in PE, come wind (and there was plenty) or rain or sunshine and the same dam hills every afternoon. My steed as an old 26" steel jobbie, one gear an only a back brake.

That thing could bunny hop and negotiate pavements, driveways and gardens like no other, it even beat my old BMX.

Problem was that the front hub went, and delivering news papers to fund my sport, meant no money for my steed, so it ended up with a 24" front wheel and 26" In the back.

So I recon, 26" or 650 in front, and 29 in back. Give you steering in the front and big wheel push in the back for speed. Plus you are going downhill most of the time.

...and why does everyone say, "I upgraded to a 29er"?

It's not an upgrade, it just has different size wheels.It's the bike design and componentry that matters.

It's like saying I "upgraded" from an Audi A4 with 16" wheels to a Corolla with 18" wheels.

It's not an upgrade, it just has different size wheels.It's the bike design and componentry that matters.

Well technically if the different wheel size is more suited to the type of riding you will be doing then it can be called an upgrade.

What you describe above is good technique for all wheel sizes.

The only difference is that the bigger wheels take more effort to lean. A bit of counter steer in the opposite direction prior to the turn will help get the bike over easier.

So technically, a lot of MTBers in SA downgraded to 29ers.

Haha! touché

Edited by Skubarra

What you describe above is good technique for all wheel sizes.

The only difference is that the bigger wheels take more effort to lean. A bit of counter steer in the opposite direction prior to the turn will help get the bike over easier.

What is this "countersteering" sorcery you speak of?

I had a big debate with my engineer father about this. He speaks of gyroscopic progression, while I speak of shifting the centre of gravity relative to contact patch. Complete deadlock, confused more by the phenomenom of the mid-air torpedo.

What is this "countersteering" sorcery you speak of?

I had a big debate with my engineer father about this. He speaks of gyroscopic progression, while I speak of shifting the centre of gravity relative to contact patch. Complete deadlock, confused more by the phenomenom of the mid-air torpedo.

We had a long discussion on the hub about it a handful of months ago. Somewhere in Gravity.

Guest EdEdEd

I am starting to realize that me saying "I am not trying to start a 26er vs 29er debate" is like starting a sentence with my wife that begins with 'Don't be cross but...."

Or "i am not a racist but"

It's like saying I "upgraded" from an Audi A4 with 16" wheels to a Corolla with 18" wheels.

Wanna upgrade to my corolla and I take your A4?