First time I missed my 26er

CraigCCW

We had a long discussion on the hub about it a handful of months ago. Somewhere in Gravity.

Sorry, are we still talking about Mountain Biking or Rally Car driving

Edited by CraigCCW

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really want to go off topic here... but counter steering when on two wheels is a completely different concept to four.

Yep. For an easy explanation, watch MotoGP riders when they tip it into the corners. basically shortens the wheelbase slightly which allows you to turn in a tighter arc

Thank you for sharing... your information is not helping my decision making one one bit! :thumbup:

If you're a shortish person buy a 27.5..I tested both 29er & 27.5 and because of my height (1.74m) I just felt more in control..Go to the bike store and let the sales guy measure your hip height etc..Should give you a good on what bike would suit you more.

You better take this to the next level!

TWITTER

;)

Not sure I want to see him in bra and panties with a beer in hand… :eek:

Huh??!!

Lol. try it. Next time you are going round in circles in the parking lot, just counter steer a bit. you'll feel yourself turning a bit tighter. not a lot, but it's there.

Yep. For an easy explanation, watch MotoGP riders when they tip it into the corners. basically shortens the wheelbase slightly which allows you to turn in a tighter arc

Ja..........i dont think so. Braking technique shortens the effect of the wheelbase, not countersteering. Countersteering has very little to do with what you are saying.

Do you ride a motorcycle?

Lol. try it. Next time you are going round in circles in the parking lot, just counter steer a bit. you'll feel yourself turning a bit tighter. not a lot, but it's there.

Countersteering has no effect( or negligible effect) at slow speeds.

No the "Shortening of the wheelbase is whats confusing. The rest of the bike is pivoting around a fixed point (headtube).

Off course sliding the back heel and counter steering is faster but its nothing to do with wheel base

Ja..........i dont think so. Braking technique shortens the effect of the wheelbase, not countersteering. Countersteering has very little to do with what you are saying.

Do you ride a motorcycle?

used to. But not at the level where I could effectively counter steer.

The parking lot test - you can shorten the wheelbase quite a bit. It DOES work. You can turn tighter.

No the "Shortening of the wheelbase is whats confusing. The rest of the bike is pivoting around a fixed point (headtube).

Off course sliding the back heel and counter steering is faster but its nothing to do with wheel base

Ja, but you are shortening the wheelbase as well as the effective height of the bike (contact patch to top of head tube) as when you counter steer the contact patch moves backwards from the centre of the axle. This ONLY works when you're leaning over, though.

I can explain it easier with the aid of a bike, In person.

used to. But not at the level where I could effectively counter steer.

The parking lot test - you can shorten the wheelbase quite a bit. It DOES work. You can turn tighter.

No. Your not making sense regarding the wheelbase issue. Maybe you're saying it wrong. Countersteering effects cannot be measured in a parking lot.

I dont think you properly understand counter steering.

Ja, but you are shortening the wheelbase as well as the effective height of the bike (contact patch to top of head tube) as when you counter steer the contact patch moves backwards from the centre of the axle. This ONLY works when you're leaning over, though.

I can explain it easier with the aid of a bike, In person.

if the contact patch moved backwards relative to the axle you would be heading over the bars. Its moves forward as the head angle slackens i.e. the vertical line drawn from the axle to the ground moves to the rear of the contact patch which stabilises the front wheel