Fedgroup Berg & Bush 2014 questions

Squier

So, I'm doing my first Berg & Bush this year. After 3 sani's I'm excited to do something new.

So, couple of q's.

The family is going with.

Where is the best place to stay if the fam wants to follow the race? I have small kids so kiddie friendly will be a plus.

Are there spectator points along the route?

How does it compare to Sani in terms of how hard it is?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Looking forward!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More technical, enjoy the views on day 1 on Great Wall my china, not as long as Sani but the climb on day 2 is something to remember..

U gonna hit 60km/h on the decent on day 1 try stay on the bike.

More technical, enjoy the views on day 1 on Great Wall my china, not as long as Sani but the climb on day 2 is something to remember..

U gonna hit 60km/h on the decent on day 1 try stay on the bike.

Ye, I've heard much about it. Is the Spioenkop climb still in?

Am I right in saying we start close to Sterkfonttein Dam, ride to the Race Village in Emseni on Day 1, do a loop and finish back in Emseni on Day 2 and then to Winterton on Day 3?

So, I'm doing my first Berg & Bush this year. After 3 sani's I'm excited to do something new.

So, couple of q's.

The family is going with.

Where is the best place to stay if the fam wants to follow the race? I have small kids so kiddie friendly will be a plus.

Are there spectator points along the route?

How does it compare to Sani in terms of how hard it is?

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Looking forward!

Climb is spionkop and day 3 ends at the race village too, so day 2 and 3 are just loops.

Hi, try Rolling M Ranch which is on the race route. It's a working cattle ranch with horse trails, fishing. Accommodation is rustic but homely, Mike is a great host! Check it out on Facebook or contact Caryn at rollingmranch@gmail.com

On the berg and bush website there is a list of accommodation and how close it is.

B&B much more family friendly than Sani. I don't think they stop the family coming into the race village and its a tourist area so loads of great resorts in close range with lots for the kids to do.

The route IMO is better than Sani. There are great features on all 3 days. It is more technical I.e it has a few rocks, but nothing hectic. The days are more evenly balanced. Don't worry about Spionkop. Its on a good surface and the 2nd half is rideable for the not so fit. The first bit is just a social walk.

On the berg and bush website there is a list of accommodation and how close it is.

B&B much more family friendly than Sani. I don't think they stop the family coming into the race village and its a tourist area so loads of great resorts in close range with lots for the kids to do.

The route IMO is better than Sani. There are great features on all 3 days. It is more technical I.e it has a few rocks, but nothing hectic. The days are more evenly balanced. Don't worry about Spionkop. Its on a good surface and the 2nd half is rideable for the not so fit. The first bit is just a social walk.

Thanks Ratty! I'm really excited.

How long is the Spionkop climb? I'm assuming it's very steep in the beginning as it looks like a paved road? Every race must have at least 1 iconic climb to remember! ;-)

Trying to find a central place that makes it easy for the family to be part of the race all three days. Knowing now that the race finishes at the race village again on Day 3 makes it a little easier.

If I remember correctly the Spionkop climb is about 1.5km in total (the steepest part about 500m on paved road) with about a 125m elevation gain.

I'm also doing the B&B this year, both me and my dads first stage race. Any tips on preparation (not just training wise) will be greatly appreciated.

This will be my 3rd B&B, just love this race.

Spionkop is a paved road with 13 (I think) speed humps.

Sounds awesome! Can't wait!

Accomodation is booked close to Bergville.

Looks like Day 1 is the big one and the race get's gradually easier from there?

Day 1 there is lots of descending, can't really remember any killer back breaking climbs.

You'll love it, great race and awesome route. A bit more technical than the sani but everything is more than ridable.The descent on day 1 is really fast, BE CAREFUL!!!

Sounds awesome! Can't wait!

Accomodation is booked close to Bergville.

Looks like Day 1 is the big one and the race get's gradually easier from there?

Day 1 is not that tough. The killer on last years day 1 was the heat, like Janneman said its a little bit more technical than Sani but everything is ridable. This race have got some of the best single-track and scenery in the country.

See you on Great Wall, my China!

10154210_628850140529046_5013474_n.jpg

Archived