• Martin Scorsese
    • Ridley Scott
    • M. Night Shyamalan
    • Steven Spielberg
    • Quentin Tarantino
    • Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

So, for those who have seen it, what's the consensus on Suicide Squad?

I watched it last weekend and I enjoyed it. HOWEVER, it is not a great movie. The characters and performances were there, but the script was shite, character motivations were odd and the soundtrack was used to artificially boost the atmosphere of certain scenes.

It's a shame, because it could've been a great movie.

Storyline 4/10

Casting 8/10

Joker casting 1/10 (Heath Ledger just really nailed it, anyone else but Leto)

EFX 8/10

I guess teens will love it

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, my movie tastes are often closer aligned to the nasty critics than to the mindless masses who like their formulaic action movies so I will still skip this one...

The DC universe is feeble compared to Marvel. They don't have a full deck of characters to choose from when making on screen adaptations. But the few they do have...are huge.

Suicide squad was an opportunity to expand the onscreen universe by integrating some of the lesser known faces with the bigger names. But it came at a cost.

Speaking of a full deck. The decision to cast The Joker in this movie was a massive mistake in my opinion. He was never a member of the suicide squad in the comics but that's not even why it was a bad idea. Its hard not to throwback to Heath Ledger here. But damn. That's how massive The Joker is. He is one of if not THE DC super villain. Suicide squad watered him down to the same level of some supporting role side show. Sure, the comic book history between him and Harley Quinn sounds like a recipe for explosive on screen chemistry but it wasn't necessary. Harley didn't need The Joker to shine as a character in that movie. Hell if anything it overshadows her onscreen presence. 

Its clear that DC is hanging onto some good cards for future use. Darkseid will probably feature in Justice league 2. Which would be super interesting since they've already killed off Superman. But they've also f'd up 2 major characters so far. The Joker and Lex Luther. The two biggest nemeses of Batman and Superman respectively. 

There's a few things I'd like to see in the DC universe.

Harvey Dent as a district attorney and ally to Batman before and how he becomes Two Face the super villain. This is a great time to introduce the Penguin as well by using his ties to the Mafia. 

Selina Kyle and as the love interest of Bruce Wayne. But sworn enemies when masked as   Batman and Catwoman. Bruce is madly inlove with her and after the 2 discover each others identities he struggles to reform her. Which gets even more complicated when she starts killing people. 

Lobo. A massive DC comics anti hero. Stand alone movie and/or intergrate him once DC goes interstellar with Darseid. 

Dick Grayson as a child acrobat who has his parents killed and how he becomes Robin. Do justice to the character and give him a standalone movie. It didn't happen this way in the comics but it would make the onscreen universe pretty interesting if Dr. Jonathan Crane was to be the psychiatrist who helps Dick overcome the death of his parents. This relationship gets particularly interesting as Jonathin Crane has some of his own mental issues and eventually becomes the super villain Scarecrow.

Sigh. I read too much comics in my day...

The DC universe is feeble compared to Marvel. They don't have a full deck of characters to choose from when making on screen adaptations. But the few they do have...are huge.

Suicide squad was an opportunity to expand the onscreen universe by integrating some of the lesser known faces with the bigger names. But it came at a cost.

Speaking of a full deck. The decision to cast The Joker in this movie was a massive mistake in my opinion. He was never a member of the suicide squad in the comics but that's not even why it was a bad idea. Its hard not to throwback to Heath Ledger here. But damn. That's how massive The Joker is. He is one of if not THE DC super villain. Suicide squad watered him down to the same level of some supporting role side show. Sure, the comic book history between him and Harley Quinn sounds like a recipe for explosive on screen chemistry but it wasn't necessary. Harley didn't need The Joker to shine as a character in that movie. Hell if anything it overshadows her onscreen presence. 

Its clear that DC is hanging onto some good cards for future use. Darkseid will probably feature in Justice league 2. Which would be super interesting since they've already killed off Superman. But they've also f'd up 2 major characters so far. The Joker and Lex Luther. The two biggest nemeses of Batman and Superman respectively. 

There's a few things I'd like to see in the DC universe.

Harvey Dent as a district attorney and ally to Batman before and how he becomes Two Face the super villain. This is a great time to introduce the Penguin as well by using his ties to the Mafia. 

Selina Kyle and as the love interest of Bruce Wayne. But sworn enemies when masked as   Batman and Catwoman. Bruce is madly inlove with her and after the 2 discover each others identities he struggles to reform her. Which gets even more complicated when she starts killing people. 

Lobo. A massive DC comics anti hero. Stand alone movie and/or intergrate him once DC goes interstellar with Darseid. 

Dick Grayson as a child acrobat who has his parents killed and how he becomes Robin. Do justice to the character and give him a standalone movie. It didn't happen this way in the comics but it would make the onscreen universe pretty interesting if Dr. Jonathan Crane was to be the psychiatrist who helps Dick overcome the death of his parents. This relationship gets particularly interesting as Jonathin Crane has some of his own mental issues and eventually becomes the super villain Scarecrow.

Sigh. I read too much comics in my day...

If you actually think about it, there is no reason for Joker to be in the film. His presence has virtually no impact on the plot. The fim would've ended in exactly the same way if he was not involved.

Superman will come back to life, so his death in BvS means diddly squat.

BvS should never have been made. They should've made a straight-up Superman sequel or a Batman movie. End van prent. They ended up half-arsing two of the most iconic DC storylines: The Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns.

Sidenote: Watch Part 1 and 2 of The Dark Knight Returns (the animated version). Very entertaining.

BvS should never have been made. They should've made a straight-up Superman sequel or a Batman movie. End van prent. They ended up half-arsing two of the most iconic DC storylines: The Death of Superman and The Dark Knight Returns.

I agree to an extent. I still think a Batman vs Superman flick was important. The adversarial relationship between them is an important part of the Justice League. 

Despite an intriguing start and a few easter eggs BvS was ultimately a disappointment because:

1. Doomsday and Lex Luther deserved more. Way more.

2. Batman's attitude towards Superman was also suddenly replaced with remorse and a new found respect for the dead kryptonian. Which somehow paved the way for the Justice League to be formed. Sigh.

I can't say however that I'm not looking forward to the rest of it. I went batshit crazy when spoilers of BvS was released. No pun intended. I'll probably moan over details in the rest of the titles too. Like some pale, beady eyed, overweight, self appointed, comic book film critic. 

As for good animated titles. Watch 'The Killing Joke'

"See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum... And one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moon light... stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend did not dare make the leap. Y'see... Y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea... He says 'Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!' B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... He says 'Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!'"

Edited by popcorn_skollie

I agree to an extent. I still think a Batman vs Superman flick was important. The adversarial relationship between them is an important part of the Justice League. 

Despite an intriguing start and a few easter eggs BvS was ultimately a disappointment because:

1. Doomsday and Lex Luther deserved more. Way more.

2. Batman's attitude towards Superman was also suddenly replaced with remorse and a new found respect for the dead kryptonian. Which somehow paved the way for the Justice League to be formed. Sigh.

I can't say however that I'm not looking forward to the rest of it. I went batshit crazy when spoilers of BvS was released. No pun intended. I'll probably moan over details in the rest of the titles too. Like some pale, beady eyed, overweight, self appointed, comic book film critic. 

As for good animated titles. Watch 'The Killing Joke'

"See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum... And one night, one night they decide they don't like living in an asylum any more. They decide they're going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moon light... stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend did not dare make the leap. Y'see... Y'see, he's afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea... He says 'Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I'll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!' B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says... He says 'Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You'd turn it off when I was half way across!'"

Watched it a few nights ago, but was somewhat disappointed. Conroy and Hamill killed it (as always), but the animation was choppy at times and the fleshing out of Batgirl felt off.

Maybe this story should've stayed on the pages. Feels like it had more impact there.

Watched it a few nights ago, but was somewhat disappointed. Conroy and Hamill killed it (as always), but the animation was choppy at times and the fleshing out of Batgirl felt off.

Maybe this story should've stayed on the pages. Feels like it had more impact there.

That's cos we let our own imaginations take off. And they're infinitely more capable of providing riveting commentary and backfill than a movie or animation. 

Guest notmyname

Did you see the hiding they took for making those claims?

It's good. Those two skom gat wannabes need to bogger off.

Of course it could be argued that their statement was art. A continuation of the parody they are, that kinda thing... A group that has appropriated all they are moaning about being appropriated themselves. It must be art. It was in the Indy.

Did you hear about the "Let's Get it On" ripoff claims?

Edited by Tumbleweed

2 assswipes who I am not proud of being south african

Did you see the hiding they took for making those claims?

I didn't see, no. I imagine it must have been quite amusing.

I didn't see, no. I imagine it must have been quite amusing.

Amusing maybe. But not as embarrassing as watching Chappie.

Amusing maybe. But not as embarrassing as watching Chappie.

Hugh Jackman and that mullet and the Aussie rules shorts...There was just so much wrong with that film.

Lol. You know they did all that on purpose, right? Being a fan of William Gibson's Neuromancer I quite liked Chappie and the way they approached the debate of an AI evolving morality in a cyberpunk world. Was it Oscar-worthy? No. Was it amusing to watch? Yes!