• Orson Welles
    • Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it recently because of the recommendation earlier in the thread. To be honest I found it boring and highly over rated.

it's all a matter of if that is your type of humor or not....thankfully we all don't like the some things else the world will be a boring place!

OK, so two further recommendations: One of my favourite movies is "The Talented Mr Ripley" Jude Law and Matt Damon play off each other here in a movie that is tense and brittle from start to finish. But best of all is a young Philip Seymour Hoffman. He colours his character with such a repulsive, reptilian cast, that you are simultaneously fascinated and repelled. Absolutely superb. The other is "Sleuth". A remade movie with only two actors, but what fantastic actors, in Michael Caine and Jude Law. These two play off each other so well that you are engrossed from minute one. Dialogue driven for the most part, and with twists and turns that make it, IMHO, a must-watch movie.

The original with Laurence Olivier and Caine in the Jude Law role, is probably even better. I have a habit of wasting money on obscure movies, and it is great if you can get it.

I got a massive book called Roger Ebert's 4 star movies, and I bought a whole whack load of them off Amazon. There are some amazing older movies out there to watch. Some of the Brian de Palma movies I wasn't allowed to watch as a kid are just phenomenal. And even newer movies that either I missed or weren't released here like The Contender with Gary Oldman or Spartan are wonderful.

But the mind-bending/mystery one I love, even though it's not the greatest movie ever made, is one called Triangle.

Edited by Thor Buttox

This weekend I watched a few movies... 

Taken 3 - was okay, but not as good as the first 2 were. 

Whiplash - WHAT A MOVIE!!! Brilliant film, and truly captures the emotional side of trying to get anywhere in the world of music

Nightcrawler - Oh. My. Sack. Easily the best movie I've seen in a long time. Character portrayal is utterly brilliant, and Jake Gyllenhall nails it. 

Noah - Meh. Okay, but not WOW as it was hailed to be

it's all a matter of if that is your type of humor or not....thankfully we all don't like the some things else the world will be a boring place!

True that  :thumbup:

This weekend I watched a few movies...

Taken 3 - was okay, but not as good as the first 2 were.

Whiplash - WHAT A MOVIE!!! Brilliant film, and truly captures the emotional side of trying to get anywhere in the world of music

Nightcrawler - Oh. My. Sack. Easily the best movie I've seen in a long time. Character portrayal is utterly brilliant, and Jake Gyllenhall nails it.

Noah - Meh. Okay, but not WOW as it was hailed to be

I started watching that noah crud on the telly last night...fell asleep as soon i realised I wasn't going see Hermione's assets

I started watching that noah crud on the telly last night...fell asleep as soon i realised I wasn't going see Hermione's assets

I'd tried it before and turned it off after 30 minutes. Something I hardly ever do in a movie. I need to see them through. 

But yesterday I had to force myself to watch it to give it a chance. Wasn't worth it

Oh - another one I watched this weekend. The Imitation Game. Also a pretty good movie!

Noah was doff.. maybe it's because we all know the story ha ha.. and I am a big Russel Crowe fan, so it was a let down.

I watched Any Given Sunday again the other day.. man I still enjoy that movie, also Al Pacino is just brilliant, he is always brilliant.

This week end:

Gone Girl. 20 minutes in, I thought it was going to be the usual expected "unexpected" twist. But man, it was way better than I was expecting. A must watch

Edge of tomorrow. Although I am not a Tom Cruise fan, this ground hog day meets SciFi action, was great entertainment. 

This week end: Gone Girl. 20 minutes in, I thought it was going to be the usual expected "unexpected" twist. But man, it was way better than I was expecting. A must watch Edge of tomorrow. Although I am not a Tom Cruise fan, this ground hog day meets SciFi action, was great entertainment.

Gone Girl is just brilliant, I loved it in the movies. Like Prisoners, it is dark, but so good.

Gone Girl is just brilliant, I loved it in the movies. Like Prisoners, it is dark, but so good.

i'm still grappling with finding time to read it first...dying to watch it

Watched it last week. Mmmmm...the ending wasn't quite what I expected. A decent watch.

Love the name of the bar in the movie! Hahaha!

This week end:

Gone Girl. 20 minutes in, I thought it was going to be the usual expected "unexpected" twist. But man, it was way better than I was expecting. A must watch

Edge of tomorrow. Although I am not a Tom Cruise fan, this ground hog day meets SciFi action, was great entertainment. 

Gone Girl... I forget how many times I shouted out loud at the twists from pure and utter shock. Was a real rollercoaster, and bloody well acted!

Edge of Tomorrow - loved it. Loved, loved loved. 

Watched it last week. Mmmmm...the ending wasn't quite what I expected. A decent watch.Love the name of the bar in the movie! Hahaha!

I love a movie that doesn't cheat on it's premise or on it's own internal rules, that goes dark and stays dark and still surprises you.

David Fincher must be the director with the most good movies at the moment. Even his worst (probably the Alien sequel) was interesting.

I love a movie that doesn't cheat on it's premise or on it's own internal rules, that goes dark and stays dark and still surprises you.

David Fincher must be the director with the most good movies at the moment. Even his worst (probably the Alien sequel) was interesting.

if you have Panic Room, Fight Club and Seven on your cv then you doing something right. Didn't care much for Benjamin button or the social network