• Michael Bay

Solaris... wow, I need to watch that again. Mind-fark 

Absolutely. I have it on VHS I must try digitise it.,

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was trying to explore the effects that killing so many people can have on one, and in an interview I saw with him he discussed this and he said used the book as a basis of the movie, admittedly adding his own interpretation.

Talking war movies,.how about "The Deer Hunter" (1978), that's a classic imo, Robert De Niro, John Savage, Christopehr Walking, Meryl Streep, how war effects a group of friends, people, powerful stuff.

Think with Chris Kyle's family involved he was careful not to portray him negatively, who remembers the fake baby in the movie - not sure why they couldn't find a real one  :devil:

For some reason I have never seen The Deer Hunter - it's on the list!

Worth seeing if you are a Di Niro fan boy, and Meryl Streep is really a beaut in this film.. Good story as well.

Edited by kosmonooit

Worth seeing if you are a Di Niro fan boy, and Meryl Streep is really a beaut in this film.. Good story as well.

The Russian roulette scenes still freak me out. But, yeah, a great film...Michael Cimino had a strange career. Made some great films, but made some crap too. When I was having a look at Eastwood's credits yesterday, I got reminded of one of the first films I watched as a laaitie here: Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, directed by Cimino.

One of his best films was Year of the Dragon - although it got panned by critics! - dealt with prejudice in such a wide way. Mickey Rourke at his prime. This exchange always sticks in my mind:

Louis Bukowski: You care too much, Stanley.

Stanley White: How can anybody care too much?

By his own admission

Two films in particular that one is prone to nodding off and waking up when its all over:

Space Odyssey 2001 (really does get weird at the end ...)  classic sfx, long time before CGI, before the moon landing as well.

Solaris  took me a few attempts to get to see this one through, and wow its a MF of note when you do manage to stay awake and do the distance,

I have never made it to the end of Braveheart!

Space Odyssey I got through, but that was a quarter-century ago and it was viewed under the influence of LSD.

The apes in that film always make me think of this one:

post-1604-0-80422400-1457442610_thumb.jpg

Space Odyssey I got through, but that was a quarter-century ago and it was viewed under the influence of LSD

Jeez I hope you didn't have a bad trip towards the end!, it's like weird dream, probably inspired by the same psychoactive substance

Jeez I hope you didn't have a bad trip towards the end!, it's like weird dream, probably inspired by the same psychoactive substance

Kubrick's whole filmography seems that way! 

Although they should really not have allowed Eyes Wide Shut to happen...

Evee notice that he and Rushdie have a similar look...?

post-1604-0-23158700-1457446044_thumb.jpgpost-1604-0-33115700-1457446060_thumb.jpg

Although they should really not have allowed Eyes Wide Shut to happen...

there is still one bit of magic in that...and that is when tom cruise is walking towards the orgy thing and the footsteps and the music are perfectly choreographed...otherwise its ****

not a big kubrick fan..not a fan of clockwork orange either

Edited by Stretch

Movies I battled with - dead poets society - the first two times I was dead tired and fell asleep halfway through...watched it on the third

Movies that I have never watched but should have...but always say I'll get round to it when I have some time......but never do or have......Schindlers list

Movies I battled with - dead poets society - the first two times I was dead tired and fell asleep halfway through...watched it on the third...............

Went to see Hunger Games by self on a Friday night, so tired left halfway through. The next week I went back bought another ticket and finished it off.

There is a beautifully made movie / doccie on the 'cross legend Sven Nys last year in competition on cycling  torrents, its a webrip but excellent quality.

"Sven - Het lasste jaar"  in Flemish with Dutch subtitles, as jy die taal ken ...

Stunning, and very moving. Ace production all around.

'Eye in the sky'

Helen Mirren and company

Quite gripping. Very insightful perspective on politics, modern war and humanity.

7/10 for entertainment drama.

'Eye in the sky'

Helen Mirren and company

Quite gripping. Very insightful perspective on politics, modern war and humanity.

7/10 for entertainment drama.

I want to see that...

Also, this looks like a good laugh! Definitely NOT for the kiddies!

I want to see that...

Also, this looks like a good laugh! Definitely NOT for the kiddies!

Saw someone share the trailer on FB yesterday. Looks hilarious.