Brake choices

PoiZoNouZ

I have Elixir 1's on my bike and I hate them.

I have a choice of either a used set of Shimano Slx or Formula RX brakes. Both are 2013, and they will both be mounted up to my Avid rotors (180f 160r) ( should work?)

So which to choose?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had elixer 7's and hated them , then I got formula f1's and havent had a problem since...

Guest 1979

I have SLXs on one bike and Formulas on another. The Formulas feel great when they work but they need a lot of maintenance. The SLXs are a bit on off but I haven't touched them since fitting them a year ago.

Got both (well rx1's but same calipers), I am a very big guy by cycling stds and the Formula are alot stronger in my opinion.

I had XT on my previous bike and now ride with Formula R1s on my new bike. Yes they are lighter and more consistent but they require a lot more maintenance than shimano. The XT/SLX are a great package in my opinion

Are the 2014 Avid Elixir 7 and 9 Trail brakes available in SA yet?

I'm considering as alternative to SLX, but anyone had experience with them? Especially can shed light on any key performance differences between them and ballpark cost?

Sorry for hijack, was going to start a new thread but thought this was kinda in same realm as my q's.

Are the 2014 Avid Elixir 7 and 9 Trail brakes available in SA yet?

I'm considering as alternative to SLX, but anyone had experience with them? Especially can shed light on any key performance differences between them and ballpark cost?

Sorry for hijack, was going to start a new thread but thought this was kinda in same realm as my q's.

The 9 trail ones are on special at Pro-bike.com. :drool: They are in my basket to buy - very good deal.

What is high maintenance? What do they need done regularly?

With the Shimano's you know what you get. Awesome stopping power with minimal attention needed. I bled my XT's once a year and replaced the brake pads when it was necessary and that was it. No issues with caliper alignment or pad alignment when removing the wheels etc.

With the Formulas I have found the modulation to be a lot better than the Shimano's. You decide how much brake you want to apply. I lock out my rear wheel a lot less since switching to the formulas. What does irritate me is that I have to re-align the caliper and pads almost weekly. If I take out the wheels when washing the bike the alignment is all out again. I haven't had them long enough for the need to bleed them so I cannot comment on that.

So yes I enjoy the Formula's more but they require a lot more time and attention than the shimano's. If you don't like fiddling with your bike after almost every ride get the Shimano's...

Edit: Spelling

Edited by lapa

What do you hate about the ellixir i have never had issues with them from entry level to high end , is it the stopping power or other issues you do not enjoy?

(your quote or comment I have Elixir 1's on my bike and I hate them.)

Edited by KiNgL