XTR Flow vs ZTR Arch Ex???

Guillaumevn

Will somebody smarter than me please just help me choose?!? the other option is American Classic Wide Lightnings.....

I'm a bigger guy, so need something semi-sturdy that i won't buckle within the first month of riding

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you ride. The more challenging the terrain you regularly ride (enduro etc) the more you would be swayed towards Flows. If its just general, tamer trail riding then the Arch will work fine. Flows are pretty heavy as far as wheels go, but for a good reason. I've just fitted Flows on my Pyga OneTen and they great. Nice and wide too!

What Craig said

But difference is so minimal in terms of price and weight you might as well use the Flow for strength, but is rotational weight so if you're into light and fast, go lighter

Just put flows on my 26 hard tail, stiffest back wheel i've ever seen. Solid as all hell :nuke: . And the beed socket, even running wire beed and tubes, oh my word, Stans forever!!

Edited by DeFconOK

Have you thought about American Classic All Mtn or Fulcrum Red Metals? Both are pretty sturdy and get great reviews.

I guess it goes down to what kind of riding you're going for and work back from there.

^ What he said. You'll probably get along with Arches, but for best durability (and a little extra weight), get the Flows. Build them up with some Hope hubs and you'll have wheels that should last a long time.

I'm leaning toward the American Classic. Heard great things about the wide rims. Better traction at lower pressures.

Thanks guys. Still can't decide. The Wide Lightnings look amazing, and all the reviews just say good things...

I have a chance at buying the arch ex on the hub for 3800.... with XT QR. Or I could buy the Flows new with Hope hubs and have a warranty and then don't have to worry about secondhand wear and not knowing what I'm buying....

If XT hub is pitted, it cant be fixed, so if you choose that, check they still roll perfectly, that said, if you have the cash, flow on hope, and find a proper wheel builder.

Build arch ex with double butted spokes and brass nipples.

+1 on that, and if you are 100kg + have them spoke the rear wheel with straight gauge spokes and not double butted spokes. Adds a few grams but a lot of strength.

Will somebody smarter than me please just help me choose?!? the other option is American Classic Wide Lightnings.....

I'm a bigger guy, so need something semi-sturdy that i won't buckle within the first month of riding

Also look at FRM rims with Novatec Hubs - 110kg weight limit and R4500 a set...

+1 on that, and if you are 100kg + have them spoke the rear wheel with straight gauge spokes and not double butted spokes. Adds a few grams but a lot of strength.

Straight gauge spokes are NOT stronger than butted.... #justsaying

Nice thing about the flows would be the wider profile .... so if you run 2.25" and up tyres and are a little big boned (Like me) then the flows are the way to go.

Tyres will roll less than on a narrower rim

Beefier rim will build up a little stouter

Peace of mind

Straight gauge spokes are NOT stronger than butted.... #justsaying

Noted: :oops: Should have checked before typing my response. A good double butted spoke is strong enough where it matters.