Guillaumevn

Here are some measurements for the ZTR Rims in this thread

Arch - width 24.4mm (ISO width 19mm) weight 420g

Arch EX - width 24.6mm (ISO width 21mm) weight 400g

Flow - width 28mm (ISO width 22.6mm) weight 470g

Flow EX - width 29.1mm (ISO width 25.5mm) weight 490g

*these are for 26" rims

**ISO refers to the inner width at bead hook

How does the ISO width affect the rim and the way the tyre mounts, ie wider being better?

Because the Flow Ex is only 1.1mm wider than std Flow but on the ISO side it's 2.9mm wider, so basically the tyre will mount wider as the mounted width(at the bead hook)will be a fair bit wider than the normal Flows or is it just that the bead hook groove is deeper?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Arch EX should be fine you don't weigh as much as some of us big ass guys,I would of thought the crest would be fine but all their rims have weight limits on.Maybe look at some of the guys riding the Crest and ask them how much they weigh and what sort of riding they do.

I weigh the same as you Bos, and destroyed two sets of one crest and then crest EX. Moved to Arch Ex and haven't had any problems.

I ride aggressively and hit every jump I can, but wouldn't you rather have the confidence knowing that if something goes wrong your rim won't deform like butter? 50g weight penalty between Arch and Crest.

Most of the online local stores have the rims, and I got a sweet deal on an Arch EX, Chris king hubs and Phil wood spokes wheelset from CWC for 11k.

mm... Thanks for the response. If I may ask:

What bike were you on?

What rims have you had before?

What kind of trails do you ride?

95% of the time I spend racing marathon or riding relatively smooth trails, rough dirtroads. If I do hit Tokai or some bike park I would hit the jumps. I use to dirt jump and rode a hardtail so as I said, Its not heavy hits.

I just know that some folk are heavier on wheels than others. Not Implying anything, just saying.

But. As you say, the last thing you need when pinning down a rutted singletrack at 35km/h is the front to pringle. Thats broken collarbone stuff. But, If It does that. Then I cant see a 85kg "racer" on a HT riding down a rutted singletrack on a marathon course not doing the same..And that should be within what this rim can do.

Arch EX should be fine you don't weigh as much as some of us big ass guys,I would of thought the crest would be fine but all their rims have weight limits on.Maybe look at some of the guys riding the Crest and ask them how much they weigh and what sort of riding they do.

Yip. Thats what I'll do, and hope the crests isnt gone by the time the masses gets back to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the response.

Flow = better than Arch. SLightly heavier, quite a bit stronger and a bit wider. I'm 105kg (excl kit) and those are the ones I'd go for.

My weight is 100kg un kitted .i have both crest and arch .Never had a problem with crest in 3years .Currently my racing bike has arch rims .They are stiff , light and strong and can handle anything the magaliesberg can throw at them

My weight is 100kg un kitted .i have both crest and arch .Never had a problem with crest in 3years .Currently my racing bike has arch rims .They are stiff , light and strong and can handle anything the magaliesberg can throw at them

Ja boet, but the thing is - what do you ride? A crest wouldn't last 5 minutes in tokai, contermans, jonkers or anywhere else I ride. I jump anything I can, and generally dozer through rock gardens - hopping them when I can.

Much rather have a set of flows under me than crests

mm... Thanks for the response. If I may ask:

What bike were you on?

What rims have you had before?

What kind of trails do you ride?

95% of the time I spend racing marathon or riding relatively smooth trails, rough dirtroads. If I do hit Tokai or some bike park I would hit the jumps. I use to dirt jump and rode a hardtail so as I said, Its not heavy hits.

I just know that some folk are heavier on wheels than others. Not Implying anything, just saying.

But. As you say, the last thing you need when pinning down a rutted singletrack at 35km/h is the front to pringle. Thats broken collarbone stuff. But, If It does that. Then I cant see a 85kg "racer" on a HT riding down a rutted singletrack on a marathon course not doing the same..And that should be within what this rim can do.

3 bikes. Stumpjumper FSR 26", Stumpjumper Carbon FSR 29" and a Stumpjumper S-Works hardtail. Only original wheels are on the S-Works. Previously had Mavic Crossmax and the two roval sets I replaced both with hand built wheels with white industries hubs, crest on the 29 and crest EX on the 26. Both lasted maybe 8 months before needing a rebuild.

I ride Groenkloof, Van Gaalens, Vori-berg and most of the smaller races up here. When visiting home (Cape Town) ride tokai as often as possible and Jonkershoek. I'm harsh on most equipment, but usually from doing things my bikes weren't designed to, rather than poor line choice.

They cost the same, have very similar weight- to me that's well worth the safety margin.

Ja boet, but the thing is - what do you ride? A crest wouldn't last 5 minutes in tokai, contermans, jonkers or anywhere else I ride. I jump anything I can, and generally dozer through rock gardens - hopping them when I can.

Much rather have a set of flows under me than crests

i would,t use crests for that either .Arch should be fine