Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Just make it easier to check the route on Earth

PM me. Graham Bird tracked the whole route I think in 2012. I'll send you the GPX.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused, with all this discussion about gps tracks when you aren't allowed to use a gps or have one with you??

To recce, prepare, load onto map siftware and plot the route etc etc etc... prior to the race. As I said, you won't get gps routes easily as the guys that have them, have them from plotting themselves or going out and recceing the route and making their own files and don't easily part with such info - for obvious reasons.

PM me. Graham Bird tracked the whole route I think in 2012. I'll send you the GPX.

Hi

I would appreciate a copy if you have one, found a few areas very vague last year and wasted plenty time going in circles.

To reiterate what has been said already, plotting a course on Google Earth is to do homework - at home.

To convert that Google Earth path to a GPX track (very easy to do) for reccying sections of the route beforehand with a GPS unit, then great.

But for the race itself, absolutely the standard topo maps on the clipboard only. Should go without saying.

So i took the plunge and entered the spring ride to Rhodes to see if I wanna start training for next years Rhodes or RASA.

Just one small problem I have no proper bike as my warranty frame ended up in the wrong country and my new bike has not arrived yet and the importer is on holiday.

Time to make some prayers I guess.

So i took the plunge and entered the spring ride to Rhodes to see if I wanna start training for next years Rhodes or RASA.

Just one small problem I have no proper bike as my warranty frame ended up in the wrong country and my new bike has not arrived yet and the importer is on holiday.

Time to make some prayers I guess.

What day are you starting on?

Hi

I would appreciate a copy if you have one, found a few areas very vague last year and wasted plenty time going in circles.

Which one's do you need ?

So what would you consider a "Proper"bike ? I am sure if it gets desperate a plan can be made !!!

I have quite a particular taste in mountain bikes, more specifically tires (4 inch wide) and hubs(I am awaiting a gear hub as well) so frame options are very limited. I do have an old all mountain style hanging around that I can ride if must. But I do much prefer to ride with my new bike as the feel is so much different and this would give valuable information into any changes to be made.

I have quite a particular taste in mountain bikes, more specifically tires (4 inch wide) and hubs(I am awaiting a gear hub as well) so frame options are very limited. I do have an old all mountain style hanging around that I can ride if must. But I do much prefer to ride with my new bike as the feel is so much different and this would give valuable information into any changes to be made.

Crazy German, Outside SA, 4.0" tyres... presumably you're a Fat Bike riding Namibian... What size bike do you ride? I may have Fat Bike in my garage...

The Outside SA Crazy German with the Rohloff Fat bike must maybe first speak to the professor that did part of the route on a normal Fat Bike, it might be a better idea to come and ride with me on a Rohloff serious dual suspension tandem.........

Would love to know the total weight of the bike with spares, Fat Bike tube = 1.5kg with slime. Eish

Some advice from Ben Swanepoel 2006 record holder :

In 2006, he tied for first place with Cornell van der Westhuizen in a new record of 17 days.

Asked to provide us with his 20 tips for anyone wanting to take on the Freedom Challenge, he had this to offer:

Pack light

It is amazing how generous some competitors became after the first day of the ride, donating to the locals on a scale only exceeded by the National Red Cross Organisation.

They lied to us about tyre liners stopping thorns.

Use slime, tyre-liners and when going through the Karoo, and beat a strip of sheet metal around the outside of the tyre surface.

Beware the dotted lines:

Dotted lines on the map represent field trips. These field trips however, have nothing whatsoever in common with the field trips undertaken at botanical gardens or corporate workshops.

Spend a few extra minutes confirming your navigation along the route.

Even when everyone else is positive that they know the way, make sure you do. The best wakeup call I got was early in the race during one of our “detours”. The race director asked us (rather smugly I thought), “So who was the leader and who are the sheep!” It was a lesson well learnt, and I never took a wrong turn again. (So if I could just work out why, if the race distance was 2200km, my odometer registered 2700km!)

Makes you think.....

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Crazy German, Outside SA, 4.0" tyres... presumably you're a Fat Bike riding Namibian... What size bike do you ride? I may have Fat Bike in my garage...

I ride a large I used to have an on one but am swapping to a Salsa Mukluk with Rohloff.

I used to have some Namibian team mates like beardman long ago.

Archived