Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

So the advice was , plot your own route on google earth using the narratives !!! A waste of time in my opinion . I started doing that last week and it was not going well . Then I got some advice from another first timer down in Natal and he said that the narratives are not really that good and using them without actually being on the ground would be very difficult , like I already discovered . He was kind enough to send me a route from a few years ago . Now at least I can use last years narratives and plot my own route . I am creating paths which allows you to see elevations and also to ride the routes . Just arrived in Rhodes 10 minutes ago and my eyes are shot :clap: from staring at this screen . Once I have completed the route I will go back and start to put in POI's and other special features that I find on google earth while going through the route . And when I am finished anybody will be welcome to it .

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ja ok cool it is rideable. good luck.

I would actually ride it down i was commenting upwards.

http://i59.tinypic.com/vct8bb.jpg

Acttually need to zoom out to properly judge

I would say red the power line

Blue the moderate traverse

Green the Marnitz line??

Blue and Red should be doable though it might not be smart revving the engine that high whilst on a 12 hour ride.

I have actually seen guys do stuff like the Marnitz line on a bike(up) but thats definitely out of my league

I picked the green line, coming from 300m below and about a kilo away it was the easiest walk a bike line....

Have anyone got pictures of Bontehoek portage decent, because I'm build for downhills, I tried to ride it down in 2012 and end up with a broken saddle and ribs and there are one one line, its green and goes straight down....

I can assure you you will not ride porages in examples being dicussed. Remember this is not a 4hour cross counrty race where you might ride some of the portages. You are knakered, and heavy due to backpack and overall extra weight. I even walk some of the district roads that I would always normally ride in training, as its just "easier" and believe me, 12hrs in, a walk is great. Your bum will thank you!!

I picked the green line, coming from 300m below and about a kilo away it was the easiest walk a bike line....

I did ask for a zoom out so engine already blow 250m below most likely ;)

I might be mistaken, look like Alex Harris carrying his Bike ?

med_gallery_11698_1560_124189.jpg

Pretty sure thats my cousin Jody Forrester...

Pretty sure thats my cousin Jody Forrester...

It seems you cousin Jody loves walking just as much as I do !!!!

That is why I run for an hour and a half twice a week to give me strength to walk the bike....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

The first of the official Freedom Challenge Info Evenings kicks off in September in Pietermaritzburg, with Johannesburg and Cape Town events to follow in November - all the details at the following link:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/index.php?app=hubevents&module=core&do=view_event&event_id=1393

Meet other riders and get all the info and tips you need to help you prepare for your first Freedom Challenge Race across South Africa or Race to Rhodes.

Definately worth while heading to one the evenings mentioned above.

Whether you've entered and are now k@king yourself or if you're still considering the challenge but may just need a little info (nudge) to take the plunge...

You may just need a little info (nudge) to take the plunge...

I just need a little nudge, only a teeny weeny small nudge......to make another plunge......

If somebody could just make a small fire in the heart of Stetteyns and a BIG one in Osseberg, then I will definitely make a moerse slash.......

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I just need a little nudge, only a teeny weeny small nudge......to make another plunge......

If somebody could just make a small fire in the heart of Stetteyns and a BIG one in Osseberg, then I will definitely make a moerse slash.......

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jaaa... we know there's no nudge required...

Archived