Alternative MTB Tyre Sealant

Sidmouth

Hi just bought a bottle of Ps2 how many mls should i put in a 26" tubless set up

Thanks.

Hi, I'd put 100ml in. That should sort you out.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't look as if anyone has mentioned Joe's. Any thoughts on this. I've had Joe's in my wheels for over two years without top up etc. just replaced my rear tyre and took a look inside and no balls I have had a few recent puncture not getting seal, so I guess it was time for a top up. Although, when asking about the new option I was told Stan's was much better. Now I'm confused.

Where can we get PS2 from in JHB?

From me. I've finally got bottles to fill. I'm also going to stock a few shops with it, when they finally take an interest. Summit Cycles have been positive, as well as tool up in centurion, but I haven't been able to stock them due to waiting for bottles. PM me if it's urgent for pricing and we can make a plan to get it to you.

I had high hopes for PS2 and it works like a charm when its fresh but after a few weeks/months the fibre/little bits of stuff that are supposed to block the holes separates from fluid. I can't see it working to any great degree in that state, the fluid is supposed to be the transport to deliver the fibre to the site of the hole and if the bits aren't in the fluid hows that going to work?

It happened on both bottles I have, the fluid even separated from the fibre bits when the bottles had been standing on a shelf for a while. I have used other slime products and that never happened to that degree. Looks like they need to add some kind of binder that holds the bits in suspension in the fluid.

On one wheel that was quite leaky out the side walls the fluid completely leaked out, the whole 250ml that I ended up using in the tyre and all that was left inside was bits/fibre and a big fibre snot ball, bone dry otherwise.

On the other wheel that had no issues with leaks I changed the tyre and was hoping I could transfer the fluid to the new tyre, I was advised that this was possible as the fluid is supposed to last for life of the tyre and more, nope no go the fibre was all stuck on the lower part of the side wall, all the bits of silica or whatever it is were stuck to the general tyre wall and the fluid was just a puddle of very thin see through green watery stuff with virtually no hole blocking stuff held in suspension any longer.

Took some pics:

post-15746-0-12485800-1422045956_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-29888200-1422045976_thumb.jpg

post-15746-0-15424900-1422045980_thumb.jpg

I had high hopes for PS2 and it works like a charm when its fresh but after a few weeks/months the fibre/little bits of stuff that are supposed to block the holes separates from fluid. I can't see it working to any great degree in that state, the fluid is supposed to be the transport to deliver the fibre to the site of the hole and if the bits aren't in the fluid hows that going to work?

It happened on both bottles I have, the fluid even separated from the fibre bits when the bottles had been standing on a shelf for a while. I have used other slime products and that never happened to that degree. Looks like they need to add some kind of binder that holds the bits in suspension in the fluid.

On one wheel that was quite leaky out the side walls the fluid completely leaked out, the whole 250ml that I ended up using in the tyre and all that was left inside was bits/fibre and a big fibre snot ball, bone dry otherwise.

On the other wheel that had no issues with leaks I changed the tyre and was hoping I could transfer the fluid to the new tyre, I was advised that this was possible as the fluid is supposed to last for life of the tyre and more, nope no go the fibre was all stuck on the lower part of the side wall, all the bits of silica or whatever it is were stuck to the general tyre wall and the fluid was just a puddle of very thin see through green watery stuff with virtually no hole blocking stuff held in suspension any longer.

Took some pics:

attachicon.gifPS2 Fluid Pics_1.jpg

attachicon.gifPS2 Fluid Pics_2.jpg

attachicon.gifPS2 Fluid Pics_3.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I'll bring this up with the manufacturer, and see what adjustment can be made.

Edit: The separation in the tyre is what surprised me. I've used thus myself for 8 months, and have changed the tyres recently, and haven't seen the same thing.

Separation in the bottle when standing is expected, as with any sealant. The particles would naturally fall to the bottom. I've seen this with Stans, Joes, and others. It's the reason they all included shaking the bottle well immediately before applying it to the tyre.

The natural mixing effect of a spinning wheel should prevent separation in your tyres...

Lastly, the sealant is supposed to form a layer on the inside of the tyre to enable faster sealing of any punctures. This is the theory.

I've asked the manufacturer for some feedback, and will post it here.

Edited by SimpleDom

Never seen the amount of separation in a standing bottle of sealant as with PS2, have had a bottle of that old "Slime" branded sealant that I left standing for about 4yrs and even then had very little fluid separation from the bits, also still worked perfectly once I put it in a tyre.

Centrifuges are often use in industry to break a compound down into its components to extract them, technically they don't mix the components that comprise a compound unless they have the similar weight and characteristics. If PS2 struggles to hold the fibre/bits in solution when standing I'm assuming its going to really battle to cope with the centrifugal forces inside a tyre that will be trying to separate the sealant into its components. From what I understand a good sealant should be designed in a way that the centrifugal forces typically found in a tyre won't be able to overcome the binder that keeps the fibre/bits suspended in the fluid.

So, I have a response from the PS2 manufacturer, and they are going to conduct an investigation into this batch. They take this kind of thing very seriously, and will do anything they can to correct this (Including replacing the defective product).

They have had a similar problem once before which turned out to be a defective component in the batch. If not found to be the same problem, they will escalate to the franchisor.

Doesn't look as if anyone has mentioned Joe's. Any thoughts on this. I've had Joe's in my wheels for over two years without top up etc. just replaced my rear tyre and took a look inside and no balls I have had a few recent puncture not getting seal, so I guess it was time for a top up. Although, when asking about the new option I was told Stan's was much better. Now I'm confused.

Have been using Joe's for a year now instead of Stan's. It seals well and no fibre balls formed (as in the case of Stan's). Need to top up every 3-4 months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

attachicon.gif1 year fugit.JPGIve been using Fugit for over two years adn the stuff works great. See attached picture of one year old fugit that I replaced just before sani this year and it was still perfect. Not sure about the price but its cheap

Midas sells Fug It for +-R130 for 500ml. The one they have is blue, so it's probably different than before. Improved version? http://fugit.co.za/index.php/f-a-q/

Seems to be one of the thicker sealants (not excessively), but since it's glycol based you should be able to thin it out with anti-freeze if you want / need. I suppose that's what gives it it's anti-corrosion properties.

post-19687-0-73629900-1577722455.jpg

Edited by Jacquers

Midas sells Fug It for +-R130 for 500ml. The one they have is blue, so it's probably different than before. Improved version? http://fugit.co.za/index.php/f-a-q/

Seems to be one of the thicker sealants (not excessively), but since it's glycol based you should be able to thin it out with anti-freeze if you want / need. I suppose that's what gives it it's anti-corrosion properties.

500ml-Bottle-Fug-It-Tyre-Sealant-Cropped-143x300.jpg

I have been using it for a year now and it works great. You do have the make it thinner with antifreeze because when it is cold you can feel the fug it is to thick and get stuck in one place making the wheels out of balance. It does go away as you ride. Being thinner also makes it getting to the hole quicker. I use about 20ml antifreeze for every 40ml fug it.

I tried this lrubbish when I worked in the Karoo. Its inability to seal required me to carry a pump all the time as a bomb would not get you home. Pure rubbish!

Midas sells Fug It for +-R130 for 500ml. The one they have is blue, so it's probably different than before. Improved version? http://fugit.co.za/index.php/f-a-q/

attachicon.gif500ml-Bottle-Fug-It-Tyre-Sealant-Cropped-143x300.jpg