Alternative MTB Tyre Sealant

Sidmouth

Weird how some sealants work great for some and not for others. I guess it also depends on your tubeless setup - rims and tyres.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started riding (2006) I used OKo and that stuff worked.

When my tube kept deflating I decided to transfer the oko to the new tube.

I found a pop rivvet inside my tube, it caused punctures on the rim side where the oko don't go.

Topped the new tube and everything was good.

Could not find it in my area and is on fug it now, it is okey

When I started riding (2006) I used OKo and that stuff worked.

When my tube kept deflating I decided to transfer the oko to the new tube.

I found a pop rivvet inside my tube, it caused punctures on the rim side where the oko don't go.

Topped the new tube and everything was good.

Could not find it in my area and is on fug it now, it is okey

Looks like they still make OKO: http://magicmilk.co.za/shop/

How true.

For years I have used the Cafelatex from Effetto because I had to have something covering the sidewalls too. I non tubeless rims without rim tape with a jippo tubeless conversion and I cycled in the dry thorny areas of Madagascar every day for three years. Not a single puncture! Cafelatex is hard to find in South Africa, but I still believe it to be one of the better options out there. In the mean time, I am in Tanzania (just as many thorns and bigger too) with Joe's, WTB Ranger on Stan's Flow. Working very well thank you.

Weird how some sealants work great for some and not for others. I guess it also depends on your tubeless setup - rims and tyres.

Guys. Try a local brand, noloopholes.

I put this sealant in and did the 1076km Munga. Tyres were inflated to 2.5 bar at the start. I must have had at least 60 tiny punctures on each Tyre. I rememeber riding in the dead of the night and hearing the pssssst of a leak and then it sealed.

Never reinflated the tyres the entire race.

It's R1000 for 5 L. Works very well

Small piece of advice....just stay away from Orange Seal! Makes the inside sidewalls stick together and klumps up inside the tyre...save yourself some effort.

dont want to tempt fate ....

been getting good service from "Sludge" (the one with the rhino on the bottle).  My commute and our trails have LOTS of thorns !!  Only time I had an issue with the commute bike was after not topping up in more than 6 months.

dont want to tempt fate ....

been getting good service from "Sludge" (the one with the rhino on the bottle).  My commute and our trails have LOTS of thorns !!  Only time I had an issue with the commute bike was after not topping up in more than 6 months.

My lbs uses and recommends this one (Sludge Uniseal). It seems quite thin but they say it works well. I bought some to try. It says you can use it in tubes as well and I found another thread where someone recommended that (an option if you can't go tubeless).

Ryder's tubeless sealant also gets good reviews and the other one that people say is very good is Enduro Seal.

Muc-Off sealant has been getting good reviews as well.

So looks like we have a lot of decent options to choose from :)

Edited by Jacquers

My lbs uses and recommends this one (Sludge Uniseal). It seems quite thin but they say it works well. I bought some to try. It says you can use it in tubes as well and I found another thread where someone recommended that (an option if you can't go tubeless).

Ryder's tubeless sealant also gets good reviews and the other one that people say is very good is Enduro Seal.

Muc-Off sealant has been getting good reviews as well.

So looks like we have a lot of decent options to choose from :)

I have used the Sludge Uniseal in tubes when Maritz had his 20'' and 24'' bikes.  LOTS of thorns, and never a flat tire.

I have used the Sludge Uniseal in tubes when Maritz had his 20'' and 24'' bikes.  LOTS of thorns, and never a flat tire.

Nice to hear, because other (non-tubeless) sealants I've put in tubes were thick and didn't seem to help that much. The bigger problem is pinch flats, but to solve that I'll have to go tubeless and probably buy compatible tyres.

Edited by Jacquers