Entry 27.5 dual and 29er dual's

awesme

Hi guys

got 2 friends looking at moving from their current rides, hard tails onto the dual suspension.

One is more sized for a 27.5... but I'm worried because of the hot happening topic the bikes might be over prized.

Other is a def 29er.

Whats the R20k - R30k options out there, make comments and opinions.

Both do a fair amount of 50-75 km races.

G

Edited by awesme

Giant Trance 275. VERY versatile, confidence inspiring, great spec for price, will confidently hack it out on the multi day events and in more comfort than XC race bikes (for average Joe, at least)

Option for niner - I'd say the Spaz Camber. Decent spec (not as good as the giant for the same cost) but it's a good bike. Not the Epic - that's too focussed on XCM events and is very racey - not nearly as confidence inspiring for noobies when the technical stuff comes through - slacker head angle, more travel and a stronger build makes it a better all-round option than the Epic.

On the Giant front - I recommend the Trance over the Anthem for the same reason I recommend the Camber over the Epic. More relaxed geometry, but still a VERY capable bike and will inspire confidence in the technical stuff - which is what a new rider needs. Plus - they're both excellent bikes for when they progress in skill, and will "save" them if things go wrong. I've felt the virtues of more suspension travel in this regard - personally - more times than I can count.

/End of thread

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Giant Trance 275. VERY versatile, confidence inspiring, great spec for price, will confidently hack it out on the multi day events and in more comfort than XC race bikes (for average Joe, at least)

Option for niner - I'd say the Spaz Camber. Decent spec (not as good as the giant for the same cost) but it's a good bike. Not the Epic - that's too focussed on XCM events and is very racey - not nearly as confidence inspiring for noobies when the technical stuff comes through - slacker head angle, more travel and a stronger build makes it a better all-round option than the Epic.

On the Giant front - I recommend the Trance over the Anthem for the same reason I recommend the Camber over the Epic. More relaxed geometry, but still a VERY capable bike and will inspire confidence in the technical stuff - which is what a new rider needs. Plus - they're both excellent bikes for when they progress in skill, and will "save" them if things go wrong. I've felt the virtues of more suspension travel in this regard - personally - more times than I can count.

/End of thread

I am going to remember this moment for a long time. Never thought I would see the day. Love it. :thumbup:

I am going to remember this moment for a long time. Never thought I would see the day. Love it. :thumbup:

LOL. There's not much selection in that price bracket, in niner, with more than 100mm suspension and a relatively slack head angle. The Anthem is 100mm, as is the Epic, and multiple other alternatives. I wouldn't recommend the Scott (too racey, and the longer travel varieties are more expensive)

Merida - meh. Again - more focussed on racing machines in their niner selections. Pretty much the same for all manufacturers when it comes to niners - nothing really above 100mm travel below R 30k.

So - as much as I prefer the Giant and other bikes, there's no real choice at this price point in the "niner that's not a marathon bike" category

.... Santa Cruz alloy or carbon frame and get wheels and fork , then fit some of the old bike components.

..... Rocky Mountain isn't a bad choice for trail

..., giant good quality and good spec

..... Pyga is probably he best if you look at a bike with 110mm or more at the backs travel.

Giant riders are level-headed people - we recognize and give credit where it's due - RESPECTA!!!. I for one love my Anthem and won't slay the Spaz cause I haven't ridden it. Buddy of mine is looking at a Spaz Camber (we ride together and favour similar type riding etc.) so will either be VERY happy with the Anthem OR VERY jealous in a few weeks...

Giant riders are level-headed people - we recognize and give credit where it's due - RESPECTA!!!. I for one love my Anthem and won't slay the Spaz cause I haven't ridden it. Buddy of mine is looking at a Spaz Camber (we ride together and favour similar type riding etc.) so will either be VERY happy with the Anthem OR VERY jealous in a few weeks...

Hub needs more fellows like yourself.

.... Santa Cruz alloy or carbon frame and get wheels and fork , then fit some of the old bike components.

..... Rocky Mountain isn't a bad choice for trail

..., giant good quality and good spec

..... Pyga is probably he best if you look at a bike with 110mm or more at the backs travel.

ALL in excess of 40k for the same level of spec.

Hi guys

got 2 friends looking at moving from their current rides, hard tails onto the dual suspension.

One is more sized for a 27.5... but I'm worried because of the hot happening topic the bikes might be over prized.

Other is a def 29er.

Whats the R20k - R30k options out there, make comments and opinions.

Both do a fair amount of 50-75 km races.

G

The oke sized for the 27,5 er, whats his height. Im 1,68m and ride a med 29er XC. This bike fits me perfect and I come from a 26er trail bike small. Just asking

Both are ladies.

#1 1.63 we can prob go small 29er, and get better value for money, 27.5 is moss the happening/read expensive.

#2 1.80 Easy 29er fit.

Budget up to R30k...

Like to keep the Group set at a min SLX, nothing lower preferably with a XT rear derailer.

G

The oke sized for the 27,5 er, whats his height. Im 1,68m and ride a med 29er XC. This bike fits me perfect and I come from a 26er trail bike small. Just asking

Both are ladies.

#1 1.63 we can prob go small 29er, and get better value for money, 27.5 is moss the happening/read expensive.

#2 1.80 Easy 29er fit.

Budget up to R30k...

Like to keep the Group set at a min SLX, nothing lower preferably with a XT rear derailer.

G

Refer to post # 2. Read. Implement. Enjoy. At 1.8m I'd even still suggest the Trance. Flowta is 1.82 or something and rides a trance. It has better geometry and spec than ANYTHING in the same price bracket. Plus it'll inspire confidence and will be a joy to ride.

Remember - it's not about the wheel size. It's the geometry that counts

And no. You won't get a "cheaper" niner just cos 275 is the "new thing"

Maybe in hardtail, yeah. But then we are back to the geometry debate and something that will inspire leas confidence on the tech than the likes of the Trance and camber

Ride an Anthem myself, haven't ridden Trance yet... but if those were my pennies, I'd re-invest it in either Trance or Anthem. And I came from a Spez Stumpy HT... which does have certain advantages, but for overall ride - as the sig says, listen to Mayhem!

Giant trance 29er is still in production afaik. Just saying.

2014?? Thought it was discontinued and now there is only the 27.5?