Attacked on Helshoogte

Gerlach

So, We addressed the DRUGS issue in Lance Armstrong thread...now we have dealt with GUNS in this thread...now, who's gonna start a thread about HOOKERS? :devil:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, We addressed the DRUGS issue in Lance Armstrong thread...now we have dealt with GUNS in this thread...now, who's gonna start a thread about HOOKERS? :devil:

with high heals on a mtb :w00t: :drool:

I used to cycle with my firearm but after reconsdering the pros and cons (I've been in three attempted jackings before and my gun were of no use to me) I leave my piece at home and carry a non lethal weapon even though its far more dangerous on the roads and trails around Stellies now than ever before. I'm all for defending yourself shooting the F%&$£$ but our justice system is not perfectly geared for that and you might pay dearly for a wrong decision made in a heated/panicked situation.

If you do decide to arm yourself I would suggest a holster or pouch of some kind that you can keep on the front part of your body for easy access but it is imperative that you keep it concealed at all times. What you don't want is for potential robbers to spot your piece and plan their hit on you at a later stage accordingly. Another thing to consider is weapons training, your gun will be of very little use if you are not trained and confident in using it so you will have to practice various scenarios. More often that not the situation will unfold so rapidly that you have split seconds to react so your draw/retrieval will have to be PERFECT, one snag or glitch and things can go pear shaped very quickly. A great weapon to consider is a North American Arms .22 Magnum, its very small and concealable but packs a big punch.

Hope it helps

Booswig -- you make fair comment. thanks bud.

This thread is starting to derail!

Crux of the matter is safety.

And law enforcement is ultimately responsible for that!

Not us, or bicycle shops, or coffee shops.

Sad that the Stellenbosch Municipality and SAPS cant do anything about this!!

The real work should start with them. If they ask our (Us cyclists,bike shops and maybe coffee shops) help, so be it. I'll be happy to assist where i can

Guns and vigilante acts wont solve jack. (Eg.: Are you gonna pull out a gun and shoot your assailant after you've been hit lights out with a baseball type stick after you ride down helshoogte at 70km/h?)

**Bloody glad there were no harm done to the 2 cyclists - this time**

I like the Carte Blanche idea to put pressure on local municipality and law enforcement to up their act!

I'm gonna send a mail to the email adresses earlier in the thread stating my dismay at the lack of thier support, i suggest all of you do the same

on a more serious note, have twice had people try to pull me off my bike outside stellies over the last few months (admittedly riding on my own which I don't do anymore), both attempts were by what looked like regular pedestrians who launched themselves at me as I rode past them.

With hindsight, I would have had to have my mace in my hand if I had any intention of defending myself with it.

Before choosing to ride with a gun, please consider

- would it enable you to prevent an attack?

- would you be tempted to shoot the attacker as he rides away on your bike? (tempting but you could end up being charged with murder)

- what could your gun be used for if it had to be stolen from you in an attack?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/08/eric-nelson/the-truth-about-bicycle-carry/

With regards to fanny packs/ moon bags/ man bags:

1. use one with a Velcro closing
  2. Normally the inside holster is a thin nylon material, replace it with a thin leather holster or a sturdy nylon holster.
  3. Pad the strap that goes around your waist
  4. It will be heavy but retrieval will be easier and quicker

1. It may look like a money bag and therefore you will have to be on the lookout for another class of skollie- snatch n'grab guys
  2. Or the guys that will smash into you to get to your firearm, this the main reason why so many cops are killed these days- easy access to firearms.

Do I carry while cycling- Hell no!

on a more serious note, have twice had people try to pull me off my bike outside stellies over the last few months (admittedly riding on my own which I don't do anymore), both attempts were by what looked like regular pedestrians who launched themselves at me as I rode past them.

With hindsight, I would have had to have my mace in my hand if I had any intention of defending myself with it.

Before choosing to ride with a gun, please consider

- would it enable you to prevent an attack?

- would you be tempted to shoot the attacker as he rides away on your bike? (tempting but you could end up being charged with murder)

- what could your gun be used for if it had to be stolen from you in an attack?

I agree with you, I carry a gun in order to protect myeself and fellow riders. I have had plenty of firearm training and know when to shoot. Always ride at the back of the group as we go past. Always on RED ALERT. Always looking at the public when we pass the hot spot. It is merely for protection. I understand the fact that you cant shoot from behind, thats looked at as attemted murder/murder. imagine you get knocked off your bike by more than one guy and they start to kick the **** out of you. A gun carring cyclist comes past and just waves at you. Pissed off comes to mind if he does nothing. A warning shot(into the ground) to scare them can save your live.

Just a thought.

NEVER RIDE ALONE.

REGARDS ARMED SMURFY.

http://www.thetrutha...-bicycle-carry/

With regards to fanny packs/ moon bags/ man bags:

1. use one with a Velcro closing

2. Normally the inside holster is a thin nylon material, replace it with a thin leather holster or a sturdy nylon holster.

3. Pad the strap that goes around your waist

4. It will be heavy but retrieval will be easier and quicker

1. It may look like a money bag and therefore you will have to be on the lookout for another class of skollie- snatch n'grab guys

2. Or the guys that will smash into you to get to your firearm, this the main reason why so many cops are killed these days- easy access to firearms.

Do I carry while cycling- Hell no!

Most cops are killed cause they think it wont happen to them. Lost a couple of mates this way. Just watch the way the most cops sit in their vehicles when you drive past them. toooo laid back, with a dont care attitude.

Edited by Smurfy

I agree with you, I carry a gun in order to protect myeself and fellow riders. I have had plenty of firearm training and know when to shoot. Always ride at the back of the group as we go past. Always on RED ALERT. Always looking at the public when we pass the hot spot. It is merely for protection. I understand the fact that you cant shoot from behind, thats looked at as attemted murder/murder. imagine you get knocked off your bike by more than one guy and they start to kick the **** out of you. A gun carring cyclist comes past and just waves at you. Pissed off comes to mind if he does nothing. A warning shot(into the ground) to scare them can save your live.

Just a thought.

NEVER RIDE ALONE.

REGARDS ARMED SMURFY.

no incident is the same as any. the situation depicts what action and level of self defence is required. No I may not shoot him in the back but I am allowed to shoot him from getting away. on paper it may be the municipality and police job to ensure our safety , and on paper that's it.

Most cops are killed cause they think it wont happen to them. Lost a couple of mates this way. Just watch the way the most cops sit in their vehicles when you drive past them. toooo laid back, with a dont care attitude.

true, but it is also conditioning

Even if a cop looks at you skeef someone will scream harassment, assault or refer to some sort of infringement of their human rights. So a cop needs to be Mickey Mouse friendly with everyone in the hope that he or she doesn't end up on the red carpet in front of a boss .

Furthermore, Its impossible to be always aware, 12 hour shifts, change in rotations, day and night shifts, working in unsafe environments etc.

Cops are told that they are servants of the people, I say horse-bull, they are servants of the Law.

true, but it is also conditioning

Even if a cop looks at you skeef someone will scream harassment, assault or refer to some sort of infringement of their human rights. So a cop needs to be Mickey Mouse friendly with everyone in the hope that he or she doesn't end up on the red carpet in front of a boss .

Furthermore, Its impossible to be always aware, 12 hour shifts, change in rotations, day and night shifts, working in unsafe environments etc.

Cops are told that they are servants of the people, I say horse-bull, they are servants of the Law.

Agree, I was one for 12 years. Slapgat and no respect for the uniform is the in thing. They(men) are even wearing studs in the ears,eye brows whislt in uniform. Cant drive properly, and have no idea of what being a cop is. Its a sorry state of affairs. Give it 3 years then you will see how pathetic the SAPS bacome. more and more cops become criminals. 12 hour shifts is not the problem, they only work 2 day shifts follwed by 2 night shifts. Off for 4 days then back to work. More than enough time to rest in between shifts. Only a hanfdull of good cops left, to carry the tourch.

This thread is starting to derail!

Crux of the matter is safety.

And law enforcement is ultimately responsible for that!

Not us, or bicycle shops, or coffee shops.

Sad that the Stellenbosch Municipality and SAPS cant do anything about this!!

The real work should start with them. If they ask our (Us cyclists,bike shops and maybe coffee shops) help, so be it. I'll be happy to assist where i can

Guns and vigilante acts wont solve jack. (Eg.: Are you gonna pull out a gun and shoot your assailant after you've been hit lights out with a baseball type stick after you ride down helshoogte at 70km/h?)

**Bloody glad there were no harm done to the 2 cyclists - this time**

I like the Carte Blanche idea to put pressure on local municipality and law enforcement to up their act!

I'm gonna send a mail to the email adresses earlier in the thread stating my dismay at the lack of thier support, i suggest all of you do the same

Agree!

But the problem now, this has been addressed numerous times with the Stellenbosch law enforcement and other parties. It's time to take it up a notch!

The real question is...who would like to be on tele Sunday evening at 7pm?