Attacked on Helshoogte

Gerlach

News Flash on cycle safety:

Clients were attacked on Helshoogte this evening. New road and on the descent. 4 muggers, 1 with a heavy stick and 3 to do the mugging once rider down. Fortunately no casualties and the 2 riders got away with all possessions.

Apparently the idea was to hit rider off the bike and then have the 3 other muggers do the picking.

This latest incident now makes ALL roads out of and into Stellenbosch extremely high risk.

Post of W.Keith

From twitter:

@MattDaneel: Myself & @hendrikvh got attcked on Helshoogte pass outside Stellenbosch. +-6:20pm, 4 guys with sticks hit us but got away! @bicyclesafetysa

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, any snipers out there? Even if it's paintball guns with ball bearings or pepper bullets. Unfortunately I think they will retaliate with more force.

Jeez! Hitting a person off their bike on that downhill

Dis mos ****** poging tot moord....

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Is it just me or are 50% of bicycle-related attacks / crimes happening in Stellenbosch nowadays? :(

Jip!!! the new spot is the R44 out of Stellenbosch on your way to strand right at the Mooiberge Farmstall on the up hill, and on the other way around, close to Stellenbosch Aerodrome.

I don't even tell my wife things like this anymore as il get a ear full which is right I suppose because its getting out of hand. Should just start golf again and do spinning classes or just train indoors and only do races

As sad as that is, I fear you are right. Except for the golf bit, nee man.

I agree, any snipers out there? Even if it's paintball guns with ball bearings or pepper bullets. Unfortunately I think they will retaliate with more force.

They already have dangerous weapons. It wont be long before someone is shot. It has happened on the R44 at Cloetesville a while ago. CZ100 HAS 13 BUDDIES. :eek: :w00t: . I would like to see their faces when they STARE DOWN THE BARREL. :devil: :cursing: .

I still see single cyclists riding to and from Stellies. We only go in packs of 4 or more, and yes we do arm ourselves. I`d rather explain in court than explain to a fellow cyclists wife and children that we couldnt help him. Sounds bad, but thats the reallity off live today.

Jeez! Hitting a person off their bike on that downhill

Dis mos ****** poging tot moord....

+1 ...that's a lekka fast descent...to hit the tar there @ 70-80kms ..could be fatal... :(

Patrick Oliver

Director: Community & Protection Services

Email: patrick.oliver@stellenbosch.gov.za | Tel: +27 21 808 8437| Fax: 0866 1676 70| Website: www.stellenbosch.gov.za

Physical Address: 01 Joubert Street, Stellenbosch, 7600 | Postal Address: P O Box 17, Stellenbosch, 7599

"][mailto:Elbe.vanHeerden@Eikestadnuus.com] (Eikestad Nuus Joernalis)

That's not enough, more needs to be done.

e.g. identify all the hotspots, get the cycling community together and find out if cameras or a security guard or security company will help or get a private investigator, etc, but get together and dicide what is the best solution going forward and then get the money to fund it.