State of carbon frames/wheels on Road Bikes/TDF

Skylark

My 150mm am bike - a Giant, ali frame, has a ding a few (3-4) mm deep in the middle of the chain stay part of the rear triangle. The frame is still going strong. A knock like that would I think have caused a failure in carbon I think.

The article is entirely unscientific - there is no way the riders can compare accidents then and now and say with any certainty that an older ali bike would have survived. Anyone keen to revisit previous TDF's, check the crash stats and bike breakage data? :-)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are worried about your carbon bikes breaking, I have a steel Trek 800 that I will gladly swop it for. A land rover reversed into it at Knysna and came off second best.

Being sought after / desirable / popular is unfortunately not one of steels properties....so you won't get much more than a streetwise two for said frame.

Sad...I know

My 150mm am bike - a Giant, ali frame, has a ding a few (3-4) mm deep in the middle of the chain stay part of the rear triangle. The frame is still going strong. A knock like that would I think have caused a failure in carbon I think.

The article is entirely unscientific - there is no way the riders can compare accidents then and now and say with any certainty that an older ali bike would have survived. Anyone keen to revisit previous TDF's, check the crash stats and bike breakage data? :-)

I think they were referencing steel frames more so than alu....

Being sought after / desirable / popular is unfortunately not one of steels properties....so you won't get much more than a streetwise two for said frame.

Sad...I know

I know, this thread however is about how fragile and dangerous carbon is. Therefore if someone was concerned about that, steel would be the best option :P

Aint no way I am really swopping my beast of a Trek!

My understanding is Contador was undone by an energy bar. Bike broke in the crash not a crash because the bike broke.

Watching these pros and how they hammer those bikes bunny hopping and powering over cobbles I am amazed how seldom bikes do break. It is reassuring to me

Heard the same, apparently he hit a hole in the road while trying to get it out his pocket

I know, this thread however is about how fragile and dangerous carbon is. Therefore if someone was concerned about that, steel would be the best option :P

Aint no way I am really swopping my beast of a Trek!

Sure....choose your poison so to speak.