26" wheel upgrade - what would you recommend

Scooterza

I'll take a stab.

The wind blowing through my hair gets stronger with lighter wheels. Because of the square law this is exponentially awesome.

But if the wind is blowing through your hair you ain't wairing a helmet.

I had a look tonight and I have Alex DP20's. Seems like I might be looking to spend when I don't have to as JB pointed out. Seems like they are light enough that spending this money is not worth it.

Spec says they weight 490g so probably won't see a big difference after dropping R3K. I have rocket ron's on front and back so I think for now I am sorted...

I had a look tonight and I have Alex DP20's. Seems like I might be looking to spend when I don't have to as JB pointed out. Seems like they are light enough that spending this money is not worth it.

Spec says they weight 490g so probably won't see a big difference after dropping R3K. I have rocket ron's on front and back so I think for now I am sorted...

Those DP 20's are pretty solid.

How did you notice the increase in speed and how much of an increase was there?

Freeing downhill to my House, me and my brother start freeing from the top of the hill to our house... so no evidence I can bring you you, luckily I don't have to prove it.

Everytime we come from the mountain, he had his GT 29er Zaskar, and I changed wheels every now and again. Had a set of Shimano deore hub wheels, other set Nukeproof generators and then this set, all was on Kenda small blocks. Ive been riding long enough to know when one goes down the hill faster relatively to my brother. As for the the facts, read into i as you want... im not doing an academic thesis, so really not going to put more effort in.

im not going to tell you who won the 26vs29 freeing war down the hill :whistling:

I have a set of these lying around in my garage, one of the fastest wheels i've ridden. Used them once or twice when I went for a fun ride. Not putting them in classifieds, but if you're in a hurry, they're available.

http://www.bikeradar...n-xc-one-20218/

http://images.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/picture-82.jpg

http://images.internetstores.de/products/08_Easton_Laufradset_XC_One_Disc_MTB_1024x768%5B1024x768%5D.jpg

I have a pair i just converted to tubeless. Love them. 1680g, strong as hell.

I'm a heavy rider (95kg) and due to lack of maintenance (by a week) I kind of broke my rear Shimano cup-and-cone hub. Started looking around for getting it fixed but the rebuild (using original cheap Alex rim and new spokes) would have cost me about R800.

Decided to go wheel shopping and found a set of brand new Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels for R1900.

The biggest gain for me is that the cartridge bearing wheels are just so much less maintenance. The axles are a lot stiffer (I also bent the Shimano axles/QRs epsecially on the rear wheel). The weight on the wheels are about the same (60g lighter on the rear wheel). Another plus was how easy the Fulcrums convert to tubeless.

How did you notice the increase in speed and how much of an increase was there?

Johann, my experience is with lighter wheels and lower rolling resistance, lighter tyres on a 150mm travel bike. I got a set of No Tubes Olympics on light SR hubs for nearly nothing. Fitted with light XC tyres, the bike weighed 1.2kg less than my heavy nearly DH worthy rims and tyres. Needless to say I noticed a difference in putting the bike on the roof of the car and pedaling up hills. It also rolled faster and picked up speed quicker no doubt thanks to the semi slick tyres.

That said, I would not ride these wheels/tyres as everyday wheels because of reliability issues.