boot mounted bike racks

blackmyst

Hi all

With the advent of my sons new MTB and the ridiculous driving positions we endured on the way home after picking it up (small 26" into a 3dr fiesta - seat belts were optional,leaning back onto your seat was not an option...) - we need to get a rack...

tow bar is too expensive (I won't be able to slide that one past the "financial director"), so I'm stuck with boot mount

I've read some horror stories - so am a little concerned, plus my budget is limited right now (1700).

Any opinions on what I should be looking at, first hand experiences etc.

Logan's already started with, "Dad, you need to get a bike..." and we have Jennifer chiming in with "Dad, when do I get a bike like Logan's?"

I can hear my bank account screaming in the night.... no wait, that's me...

so we are looking at something that can handle 3 bikes....

I use to have a boot rack for my golf 4. This is what happened to my car and bike in a light crash in heavy traffic. The other person didn't even have a scratch on their bullbar thats how light it was.

If you shop around and not in too much of a rush. you could find roofracks and a proride for around R2000 second hand. Then just buy another one when you buy another bike. They come past nice and cheap every now and then on the hub. It the best way to transport a bike. With rear bike racks there's always ropes, sponges or pool noodles involved to stop bikes from touching each other and grinding paint off frames. They are rubbish. Unless you get an euroride and a towbar which is going to cost around 10k.prorides are the best intentions since the wheel.

post-49255-0-21794300-1407553140_thumb.jpg

post-49255-0-66540400-1407553160_thumb.jpg

Edited by sakkiebomskok

Been using a boot mounted rack on my Polo Classic for almost 2 years without a problem. Have heard many a horror story of roof racks and people forgetting their height clearance. Tow bar I think is the ideal, but some of us don't have the budget for that. Found that once I got the hang of mounting the rack, it doesn't take too long, but I still mount it the night before when I am going to make an early start.

Also use the Thule 9103 on my Opel Meriva, been using it for probably 5 years without hassles. I can see that something like that can happen when someone bump you from behind. The nice think about the Clip On is that you do not have hassles with side straps etc, so you are up and going in 2 minutes.

I bought a Thule 9103 Clip on November last year for my December holiday down at the coast. Easy to mount and get off. Yes, you need to use pool noodles and straps to secure the bikes in place but didn't find that a problem.

The point I'm trying to make is that without experience of previous use I mounted two mountain bikes on a Opel Corsa 1.4 Lite, drove from Limpopo province to Port Alfred with all the mountain ranges and winds and everything and the bikes didn't move an inch.

To be honest, I would have liked to get the Saris Bones 3 but that was a bit out of my price range.

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by GerrieTruter

I have been using a BNB 3 bike carrier for about a year now on my Getz. Was only R900 new. It is basically permanently attached and I have never had an issue.

Before I installed it though I applied some clear vinyl to the car where the rubbers rest to prevent any chaffing.

Also I flipped the bottom bracket around so that the end angled up instead of down therefore having all rubbers resting on the body of the car and not the window. Also the boot can still open with the rack on.

Edit: and some double sided Velcro to keep the excess strapping in check..

post-49286-1407599625,5043.jpg

Edited by Raydek

I too didnt want to fork out for a towbar, but it was more a case of finding a boot mounted rack that fits your car, rather than choosing which one you want!

I have the Saris Bones 2, i think it was about R1 700. Its worked well for my hyundai i20 for a year. However it is not approved by Saris for use on my model car, but Thule had nothing that fitted.

Good luck! I cant imagine ever affording kids and my bicycles!