Vipa, Element 970, Carbon Comp or Anthem

Alph7

Best value bike here for sure. Only 29er dual suspension on your list that can fit 2 bottle cages in the frame, also has some essential tools built into the frame, the swat system. Plenty available to test ride, and it has proven itself over and over. Simple choice really.

Thanks Johny Bravo, does the Elite also come with swat system or is it only on the Expert and up?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best value bike here for sure. Only 29er dual suspension on your list that can fit 2 bottle cages in the frame, also has some essential tools built into the frame, the swat system. Plenty available to test ride, and it has proven itself over and over. Simple choice really.

Must say I'm very impressed with Spez and their outside the box thinking in terms of finding solutions for everyday hassles. Like swat for instance. Being able to fit 2 bottles inside the front tri is a major plus in my book. Well done to them for thinking about the consumer.

Some clever thinking with their 2015 accessory line as well.

Thanks Johny Bravo, does the Elite also come with swat system or is it only on the Expert and up?

I think so, GrantRH has one, so he will be able to tell us. I have the Marathon epic, I dont use the SWAT box, but the multitool in the frame is a lifesaver, believe me. And the 2 bottle cages in the frame is perfect for multi day stage racing, no losing bottles. Really is a superb design.

Carbon frame on Rocky mountains as well as the bushes on the pivots is are much better.

I'll disagree with that statement. I rode an element 970 at the epic last year and had several issues with the bushes on the frame. The guys from RM ended up sending me new stays as the bushes wore the carbon out and to my knowledge this was not the only one with the problem.

Very nice bike to ride nonetheless and don't think you'll get a 100mm 29'r that's quicker on the downhills than the RM but those little issues were kinda disappointing...

Never ridden a VIpa so can't comment but they do look very nice!

Spez Camber Comp Carbon / Elite Carbon / Expert Carbon is worth checking out - less aggressive riding position than the epic but not as much of a downhiller as the Stumpjumper. Prices are R40k-R50k (or they were for 2014 models)

For R50k - you can buy a really nice Cannondale Scalpel with a Lefty, best weight to rand value and fastest stage race bike. Vipa .....ppppft

I think so, GrantRH has one, so he will be able to tell us. I have the Marathon epic, I dont use the SWAT box, but the multitool in the frame is a lifesaver, believe me. And the 2 bottle cages in the frame is perfect for multi day stage racing, no losing bottles. Really is a superb design.

My Elite (2014) didn't come with the full swat system. But you can buy it quite easily for 2k I think. I only bought the components I want. I don't use the box, so I just bought the frame tool (amazing), the bottle cages and the chain breaker (plus extra chain link) which is housed in the headset.

So neat and convenient.

Do yourself a favour and go and build yourself a Santa Cruz Tallboy. You will fall in love with it and it is strong and it really is a dream to ride. I am a big guy and I ride mine hard and never had a problem with the frame. I just love it to bits!

My next mtb will be a new Santa Cruz Tallboy:-)

Enjoy the journey!!

Edited by Dots

Do yourself a favour and go and build yourself a Santa Cruz Tallboy. You will fall in love with it and it is strong and it really is a dream to ride. I am a big guy and I ride mine hard and never had a problem with the frame. I just love it to bits!

Enjoy the journey!!

Agree !,Already have tallboy and highball .If they made a roadbike i would buy that to

For R50k - you can buy a really nice Cannondale Scalpel with a Lefty, best weight to rand value and fastest stage race bike. Vipa .....ppppft

The V, Are you talking about Scalpel Carbon? A bit out off my budget at R65k, but great bike.

Enjoy the journey!!

Hi Dots, but that sounds like plenty cash. I have tried one before and extremely nice ride.

Enjoy the journey!!

Nice bike for sure, Chris willemse have them for R69 999, for a bike with a reba shock and xt components. For R70 000 you should get xtr components, or xo and at least carbon wheels. Not good value at all. You can buy a giant Anthem with the same spec for R40 000. If you spend R70 000 on a Specialized camber, you get carbon rims, carbon cranks, carbon handlebars, full x0 groupset, internal cabling, and a dropper post. Edited by Johny Bravo