Vipa, Element 970, Carbon Comp or Anthem

Alph7

Nice bike for sure, Chris willemse have them for R69 999, for a bike with a reba shock and xt components. For R70 000 you should get xtr components, or xo and at least carbon wheels. Not good value at all. You can buy a giant Anthem with the same spec for R40 000. If you spend R70 000 on a Specialized camber, you get carbon rims, carbon cranks, carbon handlebars, full x0 groupset, internal cabling, and a dropper post.

Go and shop and have a careful look. Build mine in 2011 for R43k. The frames is +/-R34. With Rand exchange going down the tube they unfortunately became more expensive. Paid R26k for my frame. You do not need more than XT. Lot cheaper to maintain. It is such a wonderful bike that I will do a lot of research and bargaining and budget stretching to rather go this route. My 10c worth of input.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and shop and have a careful look. Build mine in 2011 for R43k. The frames is +/-R34. With Rand exchange going down the tube they unfortunately became more expensive. Paid R26k for my frame. You do not need more than XT. Lot cheaper to maintain. It is such a wonderful bike that I will do a lot of research and bargaining and budget stretching to rather go this route. My 10c worth of input.

All true, my point being for R70 000, I would rather have all the bling and carbon bits. Now whether I need it or not, is a totally different subject, which should only be discussed after many many beers.

These bikes are pretty much my choices as well. The Giant, according to me, is probably the best value for money. Maybe not 100% as good as the Vipa and RM, but good value. Only gripe I have with the Spez is the service of the brain shock. Do think it is a great bike, but that price on the service at regular intervals is a killer for me.

My question is if anybody know the difference in weight of the Giant Anthem 29'er Carbon vs Alluxx frame?

My question is if anybody know the difference in weight of the Giant Anthem 29'er Carbon vs Alluxx frame?

Well, if you put the same wheels and groupset on both, they differ by 200grams... I have the carbon, but if I ever were to replace my Anthem, itr will be for the X1 Alum.... Best value on the market today... Not as good a groupset or wheels as the carbon, but very descent. A X1 with full XT and ZTR wheels is a fantastic ride (*snik snik)

Well, if you put the same wheels and groupset on both, they differ by 200grams... I have the carbon, but if I ever were to replace my Anthem, itr will be for the X1 Alum.... Best value on the market today... Not as good a groupset or wheels as the carbon, but very descent. A X1 with full XT and ZTR wheels is a fantastic ride (*snik snik)

Thanks for that.

I agree with you. I am thinking of getting that and "upgrade" elements gradually to make it lighter, but needed to know how big a difference the weight of the frame is.

Thanks for that

It may be ugly, but geez you cannot beat that value, no matter how I think about it.

my 2c... buy a bike that makes your heart race, whether it is the epic, scalpal, or vipa. don't just settle on something that is good enough for now, it's too much money in this category of bike

if you are leaning towards the anthem just because it is the best value for money now, there will be a pang of regret every time your ride past (or rather get ridden past by) the bike you really lust after.

Thanks for that.

I agree with you. I am thinking of getting that and "upgrade" elements gradually to make it lighter, but needed to know how big a difference the weight of the frame is.

Thanks for that

It may be ugly, but geez you cannot beat that value, no matter how I think about it.

Ugly?!? Suppose it is a matter of taste...

Left is the carbon, right is the aluminium... You tell me.

post-4334-0-07006900-1408544509_thumb.jpg

Dis mooier as al die ander goed waaroor julle stry. Splinternuut, Yeti AS-Rc

Dis baie mooi. Problem for me with these types of bikes is finding them. People will always tell you this and this shop sell them, but they never have stock etc etc. Truly stunning bike.

Edit. i just googled the price R90 000. Uhm, maybe not then.

Edited by Johny Bravo

Dis mooier as al die ander goed waaroor julle stry. Splinternuut, Yeti AS-Rc

love Yeti, but there is too much of that violent colour on that bike. it's making me slightly dizzy.

Dis baie mooi. Problem for me with these types of bikes is finding them. People will always tell you this and this shop sell them, but they never have stock etc etc. Truly stunning bike.

Edit. i just googled the price R90 000. Uhm, maybe not then.

Ja it is expensive, but exclusive. That price is for the model with the Enve Wheels which I think is a bit mal. Frame only and build it your way

WE WILL GIVE YOU THE BEST DEALS ON A VIPA , GIANT , CANNONDALE , SANTA CRUZ. WE HAVE THEM ALL AND SELL THEM ALL AT THE BEST PRICES .JUST SEND US A MAIL AND YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH THE OUTCOME.

Thank you all for the incredibly valuable input. Deciding on a what bike to go for is tougher than buying a car!

But I have at long last decided on one..