CycleOps SA and Tim Noakes Diet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At what intensity (km/h and/or Watts) would a 85kg male (180cm) need to cycle to burn 1000 kJ per hour?

How does this relate to burning a 1000 calories per hour and the effect on both the carbohydrate and fat metabolism as sources of energy?

Read the Tim Noaks diet it's very good and introduces you to the New Atkins diet which I started 19 months ago and have never looked back, I am 53 years old and ride with youngsters of 35 and still hold on

, the eating plan is brilliant and easy to follow, I lost 14 kg and have tons of energy now, remember to leave out sugar, bread, potatoes and most carbs, it really works.

Something of a newcomer to the Noakes diet. My reason was none of the usual ones - not weight loss or insulin resistance. Mine is to find a better (read more efficient) fuel for ultra-distance events. These are very long, mostly low intensity activities. So far so good - but it's still early days. It's a year long experiment for me, culminating in PBP this time next year. I've had a full panel of bloods already when I started, and will do another at 6 months and 12 months. So that I can understand how it affects my physiology.

At this stage I am not 100% fully fat adapted. I do boost my carbs on riding days where I know there will be higher intensity. By boost I mean going from around 50g/day to 100g/day - still within LCHF levels in fact even at the high end. I'm gradually going to reduce that now though to become better fat adapted.

The part in the article that I do agree with is that we are all different. I know some very fit, fast amd strong endurance riders who have been doing very well on this diet though.

I've read several articles which show that it may not be as good as carbs for very high intensity - i.e. peak performance. I can't really add anything to that with the type of riding I'm doing though, and the fact that I'm not fully adapted yet. One rider I regularly cycle with who is doesn't seem to struggle to keep up with the fastest of our pack at any stage, in fact she can probably drop most of us.

Edited by walkerr

Read the Tim Noaks diet it's very good and introduces you to the New Atkins diet which I started 19 months ago and have never looked back, I am 53 years old and ride with youngsters of 35 and still hold on

, the eating plan is brilliant and easy to follow, I lost 14 kg and have tons of energy now, remember to leave out sugar, bread, potatoes and most carbs, it really works.

Good to know . Am on the diet now and feel good. Been 2 months now and lost only 3 kgs but lots of centimeters. Have not been training at all in the 2 months due to injury but have started now. Am concerned to go on a long ride without carbs in the bottle or pocket . What is wonderfull about this way of eating is that I am never hungry !

Good to know . Am on the diet now and feel good. Been 2 months now and lost only 3 kgs but lots of centimeters. Have not been training at all in the 2 months due to injury but have started now. Am concerned to go on a long ride without carbs in the bottle or pocket . What is wonderfull about this way of eating is that I am never hungry !

I wont worry too much about long rides. You can take some safty carbs with but so far I did not really use them.

Landjager or kabernossi, wonderful fuel for long rides.

My brother in law used them as fuel for his last ironman and he said it was great.

He doesnt even do LCHF!!

I wont worry too much about long rides. You can take some safty carbs with but so far I did not really use them.

Exactly my approach so far - going to start weaning myself off them, because if I have them there I tend to munch them even though I don't really need them.

From what I have read about it with regards to sports is that your burst speed is worse but your overall endurance is better.

That's been my experience so far - but it's early days for me. I know others who seem to have very good burst speed without adding the extra carbs that I do. Of course they may just be faster than me whatever diet they use ... :cursing:

At what intensity (km/h and/or Watts) would a 85kg male (180cm) need to cycle to burn 1000 kJ per hour?

How does this relate to burning a 1000 calories per hour and the effect on both the carbohydrate and fat metabolism as sources of energy?

in short ave power will need to be 278w 1000kj/3.6 = 278w irrespective of weight.

Think of it this way – your muscles that drive the pedals don’t know how much you weigh or whether you are climbing or not - they just turn the pedals based on the force required overcome the restance, whether that’s climbing a hill or pushing air out of the way. Weight is only important if you are climbing (because you need to overcome gravity) but the muscles don’t care how the resistance is made up, they just have to work to overcome it.

PS: We mustn’t confuse average power with normalised power. On the road these will be quite different, but indoors, when you have a very low % of zero power time, ave power and NP tend to be about the same.

Which goes back to why indoor training is so good – you use every second !

From what I have read about it with regards to sports is that your burst speed is worse but your overall endurance is better.

Lynty!! Same problem with me..

Endurance has improved alot, but bursts of speed, flat or uphill leave me feeling pooped quite quickly. However recovery is quite quick compared to in the past.

Only into the 3rd week of this diet, lost 4kg already and feeling fantastic.

Edited by Surv0MTB

Lynty!! Same problem with me..

Endurance has improved alot, but bursts of speed, flat or uphill leave me feeling pooped quite quickly. However recovery is quite quick compared to in the past.

Only into the 3rd week of this diet, lost 4kg already and feeling fantastic.

I found adding back some carbs on ride days, but not too much helped. On days when the riding was of a sort where I felt I'd need to go to a higher intensity, I'd cut myself some slack and add back about 50g extra of carbs to my eating. I have friends who push that to 100g extra with no ill effects on the diet. The extra carbs add back that burst, but after the ride you won't have picked up weight or struggle to get back to the LCHF diet on a day to day basis. In fact rather oddly, I dropped more weight on the days when I stuck a very small amount of carbs back (10g or so). I have no idea why that is.

Nearly all my rides now are long low intensity for the next year (Argus excepted) - so I'm going to be stricter and try and get solidly in the fat burning zone and not go over 50g of carbs even on ride days. But if there are days/rides I need the extra Zip, I'll boost a few extra grams of carbs.

Edit - i'm careful what sort of carbs though. Avoid breads or pasta, and avoid too much processed (exclude Baviaans here, I just ate anything going). But in general I try and go for vegetable based carbs - sweet potatoes etc. And definitely try to avoid wheat

Edited by walkerr