2008 GT Power series Cruiser BMX build

MTB0007

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the bmx family!

Check out the Gauteng Bmx Clubs facebook page! Lots of people on there has got extra parts that you may need to complete your build.

If a cruiser weights under 11kg you've done well!

gear ratio - 39/17 for a cruiser is standard on a cruiser (+-55") but most of us ride 41/18 (53.7"). That 40/17 will be way too heavy to get going out the gate and to accelerate after the apex of the corners.

You welcome to contact me personally to discuss your project and then even more important to get you racing!

Dirk

dirkjuys@mweb.co.za

Hi Cheers, Had a BMX - Summit, American Branded BMX in 1981, which I rode the k%K out of until 1990 something, it was not a well known brand here, but it was a brilliant lugged, frame BMX - chrome and red, -- I TRASHED my shins, elbows & Hands - but never broke anything on her.... It will be weird to get back on a track now .. But I did do some Down hill while living in Cape town until 2001, and since then have MTB,d we do a race a month... I WILL pop you a mail and check the FB... page -- but here at work FB blocked -- so tonight after stock take ill check it out...

Taking a quick break from stock take , anyone know where in Jhb I can find a Tioga D- Spyder seat (Saddle) ??

Fitted gold seat post clamp

Gold ilink brake cable .. Still waiting for brakes so I built her up with the tektro for now

Added gold chain ring bolts

Found Tioga power block 1.75 ...added these..

She is just on 10kg..

Still scouring the bicycle shops for a Tioga Spyder saddle.. And brakes that will work aesthetically and for stopping...

post-2502-0-69656200-1409591062_thumb.jpg

post-2502-0-09825700-1409591297_thumb.jpg

Test ride - tomorrow, after work..

Then to find a track..

Brings back memories -- Brikor in Edenvale... way back when,,,,,,,

Used to spend many a Sunday falling my ass off there in 81..82....

Building this toys up brought back many good cycling MEMORIES

Before mountain bikes existed , we rode the sh&* out of our BMX's

and when we felt like a soft ride - we rode all day on our 12 speed racers..

Cycling was simpler, and I lived on my bicycles --

Edited by MTB0007

Managed to find (Chickens teeth) TIOGA SPYDER -- slightly used ... Busy I am now experimenting with Shimano V brakes -- some of these older XT etc stick out a tad, ---- She now sits at 9,90Kg -- working on getting closer to 9,5 -- or 9.0...

post-2502-0-25115600-1409728134_thumb.jpg

Edited by MTB0007

Did some test runs on tar, down an incline about 7° and 400m up and 400m down..

Did 10 or 15 runs back and forward...?

Eeeiiiiiish... How did I spend 12 hours on a BMX as a laaitie...? My F@$.... My legs hurt and I didn't break a sweat...

This is gonna be another kind of fun..

She was smooth and felt quick .. No noises ...

Was able to bunny hop but its a diffent technique to hopping my DS MTB.. I've forgotten the stuff I knew

So I think this lady is gonna be a new sport..hobby

Just need to dial brakes in 100%...and tidy up the detail on the frame .

.. I might want to go clipless...

My Right foot was a bit slippery..

post-2502-0-82257000-1409760184_thumb.jpg

used my Fallen sneakers.. More skate sneaker..

What BMX shoe would be best.. ?

Cheers

Probably something from fiveten or similar but they are pretty expensive, like R1500 a pair but they will probably last for a few years if you don't use them for walking around in too much. Fallen's with some viciously spiky pedals should be good enough though, just get shin guards to go with the pedals! You probably have a good few horror stories of your own from pedals imbedded in your shins, don't let those memories fade.

where are 5/10 sold here .. Have heard a lot of good about them..

(∆Johannbesburg for walk in ..or web in S.A.)

cheers

Diald bikes sell them online I think, try a google local search, there are a few people that sell them, not many walk in shops do though.

post-3951-0-86571700-1409777043_thumb.jpg

These are quite cool, i have the white pair & can be used as normal sneakers too.

Alternatively, get the old skool Vans with the waffle soles, any shoe retailer sells them these days, have become a fashionable item now instead of a bmx or skateboard shoe.