Anyone done Megavalanche Alp d' Huez?

RedDog

• 3 months later...

Planning to definitely do this! Guys, can I use a normal soft-tail mountain bike for this or will it break? 

And don't forget the altitude playing havoc with your lungs. At 3000m just turning your pedals over is tough. From my experience with alpine trail riding. Strong, fat tires and 140mm+ travel on a 26"/650b, front and back.

Go and do some YouTube searching. Plenty of good quality full runs out there, from noobs to podium finishers.

It al depends on the year and your riding.

I have ridden in the alps several times

I went last year but hadn't been on a mountainbike for two months before and packed up after I broke some stuff on the bike in the recce's and didn't want to sit in a rainy tent.

It sometimes rains and then the mud clay can get very slippery if it rains like this year tyre clearance on you frame is important.

Get grippy so knobbly tires, get reinforced tyres as you will most likely wreck the light stuff. Take a bike you are happy pedalling for a bit, there is alot downhill but there are quite some flattish and even uphill bits as well. You don't have to be a riding god there are quite some average joe's and jane's evry year though you will take more time, likely to be stuck and some bottlenecks and some protective padding won't go a miss.

In contrary to higher I don't see the added value of a tour operator package the event is in a small location and there is transport and lifts from organisers. In other regions a guide and some uplift is gold here you can muster a nice week on your own and hook up with other riders. Don't fear the french and their bad english, this is full of Brits some have eeb n to the region and although their accent is funny they share the language with most of you.

Archived