Anyone done Megavalanche Alp d' Huez?

RedDog

I'm planning on doing Megavalanche Alp d' Huez in 2015 and was wondering if anyone who has done it can give me any advice?

At this stage I only have general questions regarding stuff like convenient accommodation, how rugged does the bike have to be, how fit do I have to be (Sani2C fit/ 42km Classic fit etc), are there any tour operators who arrange bike transport/accommodation etc.

Any advcie would be appreciated - Thanks!

Awesome! l wish I was as fortunate!

Cycling fitness is one thing, but you have to be on your game, with all aspects of riding a bike (Jumping/ rock gardens etc , very few SA tracks have anything like they have there)... Just thinking of how my arms feel after a few soft DH runs.

The bike must be bombproof, And if you're up for a challenge, you can do it like this guy:

tumblr_memjqa03Tn1re0v6uo1_500.jpg

David D here on the hub did Megavalanche Reunion last year. He's a seasoned DH and endure rider, and he says it was pretty freaking tough.

Guest Omega Man

Awesome! l wish I was as fortunate!

Cycling fitness is one thing, but you have to be on your game, with all aspects of riding a bike (Jumping/ rock gardens etc , very few SA tracks have anything like they have there)... Just thinking of how my arms feel after a few soft DH runs.

The bike must be bombproof, And if you're up for a challenge, you can do it like this guy:

tumblr_memjqa03Tn1re0v6uo1_500.jpg

That's a bit like running Comrades barefoot.

Fitness... It is mostly downhill so you don't need to worry about this. It'll be slightly more technical & a touch steeper than day #2 on the Sani.

Guest Omega Man

@ the OP.

I've not done the mega myself so my advice is purely based on what I've heard from people who've done it.

The race happens over 2 days. There's a qualification day where you race in batches of 200 over a 17km (I think) course. This defines your start group for the actual race itself the following day. The actual race starts at something like 3300m and descends 1600m over 32km. It's not all downhill so a good Enduro bike is the recommended equipment. Although I spoke to a dude last year who'd done it on his DH bike no worries.

The cool thing is even if you don't "qualify" you still get to ride the race. you just miss out on the mass start on a glacier carnage. The crap thing is more than 3000 people do it so expect to spend a lot of the time in a queue.

If you're a first timer you're probably best off going with a company that does the whole thing for you. I know that Alpine Elements do a Mega Avalanche all inclusive package.

That's all I know. For me there's nothing in SA that can come remotely close to Alpine riding. Good luck and please do a writeup/blog of your prep and trip.

RedDog ... lekker if you are going to do it.

I have not done the Mega, but my bike has and is only a 160mm travel Morewood Mbuzi.

Get some gym work in guy, I am shattered after a long DH ST where you pump and use your legs/body alot, this is going to take lots of core and ALL OVER body strength and endurance, then also make sure your tech riding game is up to scratch.

Accomodation wise, cheapest and most convenient is to rent a chalet in l'alpe. I have rented the same chalet twice now, in 2011 and 2013. Its off season (non-ski) so can be had pretty cheaply.

Fitness... It is mostly downhill so you don't need to worry about this. It'll be slightly more technical & a touch steeper than day #2 on the Sani.

I have to disagree with this, you need to be super fit, albeit a different kind of fitness.

Hitting a 32km gnarly downhill (with a few ups) at 100% is going to be hugely tolling on your body.

I would suggest at least a good base level of cardio fitness, and then a whole lot strength training (crossfit would be ideal)

The fitter you are, the more enjoyable it will be.

I have to disagree with this, you need to be super fit, albeit a different kind of fitness.

Hitting a 32km gnarly downhill (with a few ups) at 100% is going to be hugely tolling on your body.

I would suggest at least a good base level of cardio fitness, and then a whole lot strength training (crossfit would be ideal)

The fitter you are, the more enjoyable it will be.

ppppssssstttttt Super_mil is pulling his leg .....

ppppssssstttttt Super_mil is pulling his leg .....

yeah... After reading it again I kinda figured that.

But not everyone knows super_mil, and I fear his attempt at humor might have been a bit to subtle for some. :lol:

Edit: I also missed that you basically gave him the same advice I did.... :blush:

I was there this year! ... you need your whits about you to do that race!

Its doable for most people if you enter amateur ...

The qualifiers are on the lower trails and these flow very nicely.

The finals are just nuts - the start in the snow is crazy and YES you WILL crash! ... Almost everyone did!

But once through the snow and the glacier ice its gets fun! - Just rocks and mud and steep trail!

This year due to the rain the amateurs ended in Alpe Du Heuz rather than finishing where the normal finish is further down the mountain as the trails were too dangerous.

The bottom trees are very steep! with lots of roots.

As an amateur you definitely want a 120mm+ full sus bike with a dropper post

----

As for accommodation - the place we stayed in was really nice and just 200m from the main lift

We stayed here!

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/le-chaix.en-gb.html?sid=f9be9c53dc6b048e0ff711b706e228a1;dcid=2

Very nice and not too expensive!

Archived