Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Guest Smimby

I don't see how the tour is going to happen in or around Cape Town.

If there's a major fire burning on Table Mountain at the time of the ride, it makes the ride a no-go anywhere in the vicinity.

Right now, the fire is working its way along the mountain towards Table mountain. Up till now there's been no success in stopping it.

I feel sorry for the organisers, they're going to have to base their decision on what conditions are going to be like in four days time. That's educated guess work at best.

They have to err on the side of caution and safety.

If it's cancelled I feel very sorry for those who have spent much more than their entry fees. It sucks.

But this is a natural event.

Nature is bigger than us.

Holding thumbs regardless.

There are backup routes and plans for this. BTW I don't think this is "a natural disaster" 

I am 99,999999% this was caused by a careless human

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very brave but that water doesn't seem to be making much of a difference 

Mr G, are you not supposed to update the "Ladies and Bicycles" fred? :whistling:  Just asking

If we get the go ahead for Sunday I wonder if the normal bitching will start again about the wind...

Possible Route for CTCT, we ride out to Stellies, still along the ocean, then have a beer, then cycle back round Durbanville to Town and have a beer to finish

post-71956-0-94028200-1425464548_thumb.jpg

The CTCT Trust is within their rights to cancel the tour according to 1.5 here http://www.cycletour.co.za/enter/rules-and-regulations/, so I don't think we can say where our forfeited entrance fees can go. We can ask that they donate a portion to the emergency services, but certain charities would be relying on these funds already.

The reality is that most of the cost would have been incurred to host the event, so even if they cancel the ride, the only saving would be on the consumables for the day (water, coke, eats etc). 

Possible Route for CTCT, we ride out to Stellies, still along the ocean, then have a beer, then cycle back round Durbanville to Town and have a beer to finish

attachicon.gifStellenbosch.JPG

Now this would be a PROPER route!

Western Cape Premier Helen Zille says the fires in Cape Town are under control, but the situation was under control on Tuesday night when the wind switched and they flared up again.

"The risk is matched by the resource, the current situation is that they have it under control," she said.

from news 24 stamped 13:12

I reckon with it being under control they are hanging off as long as possible to make a call on a route.

Looks like we can continue our speculations till 18:30 now :blink:

WHAT, since when do Capetonians work past 16:00???  :ph34r:

Archived