Painting my bike

LONE TWO

Hi Guys

So I’m thinking of painting my bike and fork but have a few questions.

Firstly which is better, powder coating or spraying my frame and fork

Secondly, is there a place I can take it to who will dis-assemble my bike paint it and then re-assemble it?

Any help would be appreciated

yea I no Bogus work I have been very impressed. But firstly I am in JHB and not to keen to courier it down to Cape town (I think) and secondly I would really like it to go to one place that does it all and I think Bogus on paints. I may be wrong tho and please forgive me if I am. Sorry but my enter button doesn't seem to work

Why would you want to repaint your frame if I may ask? Is it just that its an old frame that you wanting to restore or is it to have something custom?

unless you take it to a bikeshop that has a paint connection, i dont think I would trust someone from a powdercoat or spraypainter to dissasemble and re-assemble my bike...

Rather chat to a bikeshop to get a good price on the tear down and rebuild, and then let them sommer service/clean everything whilst its in bits, and retune your gears as they rebuild, then you have a new looking an feeling bike when they're done. You can get the frame/fork painted when they've finished the teardown. Make sure you go to a trustworthy shop though, as parts can easily dissapear into the used parts heap in the back of the store if the guy tearing it down does'nt know to keep everything in one box - possibly provide a well marked box.

If you drop off the frame/fork, have a chat to your preferred powdercoater/painter and make sure that they are aware of what parts should not get sandblasted or have paint on them - things like BB, headset - any threads etc. you may have to tape up or vaseline parts that should not be painted.

Ask your LBS for advice - they've probably had this exact request more than once before, maybe they can handle everything.

Edited by nox1111

I've had some work done by http://www.cycledelic.co.za/ and have been very impressed.

One issue I have found with "after market" paint jobs - they are not as hard as OEM paint jobs. Not sure if it's the paint or lacquer coat but aftermarkets I've seen tend to be a little softer and scratch easier than OEM.

I cant comment on Bogus doing the stripping and re-building, but i have just sent my frame to him.

Shipping is R 200 either way which is nothing and you can still get a shop by you to strip and re-build.

Lurch,

there are a few guys in Jo'burg but it took them ages to even respond to me.

I stopped wasting my time.

Cycledelic.co.za

I can't vouch for them, but I see their ads in all the major cycling publications so they seem ok.

thanks for the responses guys appreciate. Right now im just getting some information as I want to either paint my existing frame and fork and upgrade the parts when I have the cash or wait a little longer and then build a bike over time using my existing parts and new ones. Im just trying to work out which way would be cheaper

I've had some work done by http://www.cycledelic.co.za/ and have been very impressed.

One issue I have found with "after market" paint jobs - they are not as hard as OEM paint jobs. Not sure if it's the paint or lacquer coat but aftermarkets I've seen tend to be a little softer and scratch easier than OEM.

Jip, same experience for me!

Jip, same experience for me!

depends on the paint / clearcoat that they use, maybe they can put on a couple of layers of ceramicoat - its the clearcoat used by most german car makers now days (clear coat hardness tends to differ by country)

After market paints are always softer as those of us that do them don't have access to the technical equipment or paints that the factory guys have. Factory processes use heat, light and air in a way small outfits simply cannot afford and use them in conjunction with paints we simply do not have access to.

Ceramic clears are an option, but trust me, if frame painters offered it NO one would pay the price it costs to have it done. Unless you are specifically the type of rider who loves telling everyone how many 'bars' he dropped on this that and everything!!! (In which case my cell number for resprays is.... :devil:

Different 2k and clear systems vary in quality and cost, temp, humidity and many other conditions affect spraying on the day. Guys like Bogus and Cycledelic who have years of experience offer about the best you can get.

Lone Two, in answer to your original question powdercoat vs paint - powdercoats are tougher generally, but you can't layer different colours, mask, add decals etc. Also it doesn't scratch but it does chip. Paints are softer but with a few layers of good clear on you can rebuff a lot of surface abuse out. Also, you can do more detailed paintjobs and effects.

So, if you want a single colour with nothing laid on it ,maybe think about a powdercoat. Otherwise go for paint, and accept it is not going to be as tough as the factory finish.

oh and one more thing, always find a painter or powdercoater and ask them how they want the frame before going crazy with stripper, sander, wire wool etc. So many guys I see on here go mad stripping the frame before even thinking about the next stage and in most cases it is completely unnecessary. The factory finish is often the best base to work up from for a respray. You don't need to go back to bare metal.