MTB Definitions (is this the right place to ask this question?)

MTB-BFK

Can Hubbers please shed some light on the range of confusing terminology that abounds in the MTB universe of bike "categories". I am deciding what sort of bike to buy, and some of the definitions appear to be 2 words for the same thing - some expert input would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of amount of travel, full suspension or hard tail, 26 vs 29, can you PLEASE categorise and/or describe the following types of bikes:

XC

XCO

XCM

Trail bikes

Enduro

All mountain

Free ride

Downhill

any others????

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Downhill, 203mm travel, 26/27.5

Freeride 160-203mm travel, it is something like Rampage 26/27.5

Enduro 140-160mm travel, 27.5/29

XC - Cross country 100mm 27.5/29

That is all I have...

Free ride, dh, enduro not that great for climbing compared to xc\xco bikes. So decide what type of riding you want to do first. Although of late, the Enduro style bikes seem to be the "do it all" bikes

Can Hubbers please shed some light on the range of confusing terminology that abounds in the MTB universe of bike "categories". I am deciding what sort of bike to buy, and some of the definitions appear to be 2 words for the same thing - some expert input would be greatly appreciated.

In terms of amount of travel, full suspension or hard tail, 26 vs 29, can you PLEASE categorise and/or describe the following types of bikes:

XC

XCO

XCM

Trail bikes

Enduro

All mountain

Free ride

Downhill

any others????

Although certain bikes will suite certain disciplines more, its not a make or break thing....you can do enduro event with a hardtail and a xco event with a trail orientated bike...Fitness and skill maketh the man, not the bike.

With that being said though, if you are starting out most events in our country are XCM format...

Get a bike that will suite where and what you are going to ride the most, give you the least amount of maintenance headaches and most importantly, the one you like...

I fear I may be getting more confused - is there a difference between an enduro bike and a trail bike? The problem is that when reading different websites etc, some use "this word" and others use "that" word, and assume you know WTF they are talking about - can you guys shed some light on which of the above "terms" are actually the same thing, or substantially similar?

I fear I may be getting more confused - is there a difference between an enduro bike and a trail bike? The problem is that when reading different websites etc, some use "this word" and others use "that" word, and assume you know WTF they are talking about - can you guys shed some light on which of the above "terms" are actually the same thing, or substantially similar?

Enduro is a competition format in which trail bikes are generally used...I can see the confusion.

Although certain bikes will suite certain disciplines more, its not a make or break thing....you can do enduro event with a hardtail and a xco event with a trail orientated bike...Fitness and skill maketh the man, not the bike.

With that being said though, if you are starting out most events in our country are XCM format...

Get a bike that will suite where and what you are going to ride the most, give you the least amount of maintenance headaches and most importantly, the one you like...

my obvious hope is to get proficient over time and participate in the popular events in SA - which bikes have been most popular, successful, and enduring in the races like S2S, BnB, W2W etc etc?

my obvious hope is to get proficient over time and participate in the popular events in SA - which bikes have been most popular, successful, and enduring in the races like S2S, BnB, W2W etc etc?

Those are marathon events....generally a mixed bag of district road / jeep track / singletrack. Generally full suspension 100mm travel 29 er bikes are the weapon of choice for these events. However a hardtail 29er will do just fine if you are on a budget and will give you better bang for buck and less maintenance issues.

Those are marathon events....generally a mixed bag of district road / jeep track / singletrack. Generally full suspension 100mm travel 29 er bikes are the weapon of choice for these events. However a hardtail 29er will do just fine if you are on a budget and will give you better bang for buck and less maintenance issues.

do we have enduro events in SA? With reference to your earlier comment, you said Enduro is a race format that would use trail bikes - what is an example of a trail bike? If I choose a full sus bike, is there a difference between a full sus enduro bike from a full sus marathon bike?

do we have enduro events in SA? With reference to your earlier comment, you said Enduro is a race format that would use trail bikes - what is an example of a trail bike? If I choose a full sus bike, is there a difference between a full sus enduro bike from a full sus marathon bike?

Yes there are a couple of enduro events but they are few and far between. Generally you need lots of steep gradients for enduro events with minimal pedal sections between the timed segments. Unfortunately SA just doesnt have alot of this terrain also its quite intimidating for someone starting out due to its technical nature.

Example of a trail bike is something like a giant trance. The difference between a trail and a marathon dual sus bike is really the amount of travel on the bike. a Giant anthem(their marathon bike) comes with about 100mm travel whereas the trance has 140mm. Also trail bikes generally have 26 / 27.5 inch wheels and marathon bikes 29 inch. Again its a not a make or break thing, you can do events in either format on any bike really.

A trail bike is typically a do-it-all bike. They usually have 120-150mm of travel and they are usually full suspension. It can be best described as a bike that is light enough and have suitbale geometry to pedal up any climb, but the longer travel and slack(ish) geometry inspires confidence to tackle tougher obstacles and descend fast as well.

I am a trail bike apostle, I ride marathons such as Attakwas on my 150mm travel machine, but I also ride downhill and XCO courses for fun on it. Extremely versatile and helps you to push the limits of your skill.

However, the type of riding you want to do will best dictate what type of bike will be best suited to your needs.

I wish the hub had a dictionary of terms used by mtb'ers including abbreviates such as WTF etc.

eg: berms, drop offs,narly etc. Some of you more experienced guys can contribute.

I wish the hub had a dictionary of terms used by mtb'ers including abbreviates such as WTF etc.

eg: berms, drop offs,narly etc. Some of you more experienced guys can contribute.

scorpion king....the ultimate trick you can do