Found... Lost reptilian

Cois

If you're stuck for a place - I have a 16,000m2 plot - Speedy will have rabbits, chickens, guinnea fowl and parrots as mates and free roam of the place.

I'm in Benoni.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mom on her commute home on Friday saved this little bloke from dogs.

Take that is was the property of someone that got out.

We are placing adds to find the owner of this fellow. The owner needs to have the needed documents before we will return Speedy (we dubbed him Speedy)

post-686-1410165364,9505.jpg

It's illegal to keep a 'skilpad' as a pet. And as far as I know, you can't even get documents to allow you to keep one as a pet.

Rather set it free in the veld somewhere (far away from stupid humans) or drop it off at the local nature conservation offices. I know this because my dad worked at nature conservation.

The one place I mentioned is a well known place outside BHS that killed and ate some of the Animals there

I know they shot a giraffe as well some time ago because they could not move it to another part of the farm.

I am sorry, but I no longer trust game farms, unless I know the owner. I would love to send Speedy with my Uncle that stays in a nature area in the Cape area.

But might be a huge change and not sure Speedy would adapt. Not sure how long it was held. And on the Zoo thing... I will never ever trust any zoo.

Best place to take him is FreeMe. they are probably the best rehab centre in gauteng, they will make sure he is okay before releasing him to conservation areas where the chances of hime being eaten are the least.

Check them out http://www.freemewildlife.org.za/home/?&re=1

We rescued one in stilfontein near a scrap metal place the skillie look like he stayed there wife don't want to release skillie she say the peolpe will eat him

We had one called Sixpence when I was a kid. Damn dog next door jumped over and ate half of him. I still remember the sight.

On the way to trans baviaans this guy was crossing the road. We stopped and moved him off the road. And behind a fence away from the busy road.

post-10036-0-71563100-1410205556_thumb.jpg

This is a feel good thread. Nice to know my fellow hubbers are caring people and always interested and willing to help :thumbup:

If you keep him just be careful of your pool. I have a mate who rescued two over the years and he found both at the bottom of the pool at some stage. The strange thing was that neither died.

He was not sure how long they were there for but once he got them out and warmed them up in the sun they carried on with business as usual. Needless to say, he now has a net on his pool. No kids, but a net for the little fellas.

Bit off the point, but how would one know the age? Any way to tell the age of one of these creatures?

Not sure. Week has been flippen crazy with identity being borrowed.

Will phone my mom this weekend. Going there next weekend, so will see what became of the big fellow.

Update. The Skilpad (female by the way) went back to its owners.

One pastor (pistor) in Bronkhorstspruit.

The lady who ran the SPCA mentioned that there are a few guys in BHS with skillies.

Archived