gap between head tube and top of fork

speeder

Can anybody give some advice?. I recently fitted a revelation fork to a specialized camber comp. There is a gap between the bottom of the head tube and top of the shock...see attached pics. Mechanic said that it is fine. It seems to me as if there's a seal or washer missing. Wont dirt and water get in there and mess up the bearings. Can anyone please advise. Thanks

post-56695-0-43035500-1410199049_thumb.jpg

Thanks. I'm taking it in tomorrow. I bought the fork from a dealer in claremont. They should supply the seal shouldn't they?

I have

Hi PeterF... are you sure... But won't dirt etc.. Get in there and mess up the bearings. ..

I have removed quite a few forks and replaced several headsets, and I have never seen a seal at the bottom of the head tube. My son's Cannondale Flash looks way worse than that as you can actually see the bearing. The bearing is packed with grease and sealed. Just don't spray water with high pressure in that area.

I agree with PeterF.

On a sidenote, what travel does your Revelation have? I also have a Camber and am interested to know how differently the bike handles when you have more than the standard 110mm travel.

I wanted a 130mm but took the 140mm. Dealer said I can try it and change it to a 130mm if I'm not happy. I havent ridden it yet since I've been ill. Cant wait though.

Should be fun. Read of guys running up to 140mm on Cambers.

Love the following disclaimer in Specialized FSR manual:

WARNING! Specialized frames are compatible ONLY with forks that have a specific maximum amount of travel (see table below). Use of different styled forks or forks with longer travel may result in catastrophic failure of the frame which may result in serious personal injury or death.

Some headsets come with seals. Some don't. Both of my morewoods don't have a seal. But they use sealed bearings. The two cheap bikes I have have seals, but they run cage bearings....Old school loose bearings with grease.

Quick answer is your headset doesn't have/need a seal. The sealed bearings are already sealed. Haha so many seals

That looks right, as long as the fork spins freely, everything should be in place. Had a dust cap (read some thin useless plastic strip) on one of my bikes, took it off, as it was just in the way when swopping forks across or would end up hampering fork/bearing movement.