SuperChick

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SO.......

Had fusion surgery done 11 November 2014, spend the next six weeks in a plaster cast and wheelchair/crutches, thereafter six weeks in a moonboot and have been walking for the last four weeks.

AND......

Surgery and first four weeks was not as painful as I anticipated.

Walking around in a moonboot really stuffs up your back, specifically if you already have lower back problems.

Initially it felt very weird, like its not my foot yet its attached to me.

Walking gets better everyday, and overall movement is also rapidly improving.

Rehab is hard, but it pays off.  Still have a long way to go as there is a lot of issues due to hobbling around on a stuffed up ankle for so long.

Have not yet cycled, but planning to very soon

Have swum, felt ok, but not going anywhere fast by just kicking. 

Overall....... happy I made the decision to go for surgery.

Now I just need to get moving........

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

I've had an ankle fusion in 2005 after a sports injury. No sideways or up and down movement. I've been cycling now for 5 years. Did the ABSA Cape Epic this year and are going very strong. No problems with my ankle whatsoever. Road bike and serious mountain biking. Riding 10-15 hours a weeks.

I've had my ankle fused in 1997 after a car crash. I've got no sideways movement on the ankle, can only move up and down. Get some new innersoles from a dr every 2 years which helps a lot. Running or walking far is a no go for me if I have a choice. I do mtb with some pushing of the bike sometimes and I just got used to the pain and decided not to let it get me down or ruin my life and fun.

I've even done the Trans Baviaans some 2-3 years ago which involved a lot of pushing the bike.[emoji85]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by BSG

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I’ve learned a lot. I am an active Levo mountainbiker. We ride pretty hard, downhill, parks etc. A little out of my age range, I know. I was a pro surfer/skateboarder in the 70s.

Due to wear and tear I went through a fib/tib/talas standard ankle fusion in November 2017. I was in 12 different hard casts and then a boot for 6 months. I’m a slow healer fusion-wise. I got back in my bike at the six month point. Things were healing normally. Since then I’ve become more and more twisted below the original fusion with a sharply protruding ankle bone.

My top ankle doctor (Dr Cameron Barr, Scripps, San Diego) has suggest a sub talar fusion and I am awaiting scheduling with him and his mentor (who have done surgeries together). If you thing scheduling is tough with one doctor, try two. Anyway, I’ll keep you posted. I’ve cut down on carbs lowering a 7.0 A1C to 6.5 (Diabetes talk) trying to get my healing under control. I have a large bump under the outside footbed, hammer toes and all the crazy stuff of a messed up foot. Like I said, I’ll keep you posted.

I know this is an old thread but I’ve learned a lot. I am an active Levo mountainbiker. We ride pretty hard, downhill, parks etc. A little out of my age range, I know. I was a pro surfer/skateboarder in the 70s.

Due to wear and tear I went through a fib/tib/talas standard ankle fusion in November 2017. I was in 12 different hard casts and then a boot for 6 months. I’m a slow healer fusion-wise. I got back in my bike at the six month point. Things were healing normally. Since then I’ve become more and more twisted below the original fusion with a sharply protruding ankle bone.

My top ankle doctor (Dr Cameron Barr, Scripps, San Diego) has suggest a sub talar fusion and I am awaiting scheduling with him and his mentor (who have done surgeries together). If you thing scheduling is tough with one doctor, try two. Anyway, I’ll keep you posted. I’ve cut down on carbs lowering a 7.0 A1C to 6.5 (Diabetes talk) trying to get my healing under control. I have a large bump under the outside footbed, hammer toes and all the crazy stuff of a messed up foot. Like I said, I’ll keep you posted.

Strongs for you HenryH as I for one know the frustration and pain by having a fused ankle. Mine has been and is very painful for the last few weeks and I know that I need new innersoles but the wait till next year is still so far. [emoji856]

This sounds really hectic. Strength and comfort to you.

• 8 months later...

So my foot/ankle is giving me much more troubles the last 7 months. I'm off to see dr Adriaan Van Zyl in Bellville on Wednesday, I just hope that he can fix, replace or cut off my foot. [emoji856][emoji3166]

• 3 months later...

So my foot/ankle is giving me much more troubles the last 7 months. I'm off to see dr Adriaan Van Zyl in Bellville on Wednesday, I just hope that he can fix, replace or cut off my foot. [emoji856][emoji3166]

So time has almost come to an end. Will take x-rays on Wednesday and send it through to the Dr. Hoping all will be ok so that I can be freed from the moonboot after 9 weeks and 3 days.

So time has almost come to an end. Will take x-rays on Wednesday and send it through to the Dr. Hoping all will be ok so that I can be freed from the moonboot after 9 weeks and 3 days.

Goodluck Bennie!!

And freedommmmmm with a very strange tan line, had my first 1.2km cycle through the park on level ground.

Dr phoned me after 17h00 and the first thing I did was to get my mtb and do a little ride.01d302140ef8ae66515e51e3bbf2ec13.jpg