Cyclist down at Llandudno entrance

Bernard Horn

A sad incident and my thoughts are with the injured cyclist and her family. I do my very best to stay off the roads; one has only so many lives and I have had a few bad frights on the road.

This may be off the limits but maybe "Argus" (CT Cycle Tour) revenues should be aimed primarily at making cycling in CT (& maybe elsewhere) safer. Charity begins at home. Disclaimer: I'm not sure what charities are supported.

that was actually the original intention of the Argus. Now it seems to just create the battleground for car vs bike.

http://www.cycletour.co.za/index.php/information/history/

In 1977 Bill Mylrea and John Stegmann, who are credited with being the visionaries and moving spirits behind the Cycle Tour, organised the Big Ride-In to draw attention to the need for cycle paths in Cape Town. The Ride-In, which was held under the auspices of the newly founded Western Province Pedal Power Association (now Pedal Power Association) was a great success and attracted hundreds of cyclists, including the Mayor of Cape Town. The cyclists met on the Grand Parade and rode down Adderley Street to the Foreshore. Stemming out of this the idea of holding a long-distance ride, to be known as the Peninsula Marathon, was born. WPPPA warned would-be riders that it would not be easy – ‘ a good two months preparation is recommended!’

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me if you leave the scene of an accident without valid reasons then it should an mandatory 5 year sentence.

Man. That sucks. I ride behind my 12 year old on this route regularly. I would probably have to plead temporary insanity in court afterwards if i saw something like that happen to him. ( Mel Gibson style in the Patriot ).

Best wishes to the 2 lady riders who got knocked this weekend. May you have full and speedy recoveries. 

As one of the beneficiaries of the CT Cycle Tour, PPA invests heavily in the Safe Cycling campaign.

Where can one see what this "invests heavily" comprises of? I would like to contribute my minute part to making cycling safer.

Case in point: the Kommetjie-Sun Vally road was tarred earlier this year. Only, they did not redo the shoulder which is breaking up badly. So, you now have to cycle on the yellow line closer to the flying cars/taxis/busses. Probably a few thousand cyclists use that road each week. How can you not do the shoulder if you actually have cyclists safety at heart? You have all the machinery/contractors there. IMO it is a gross insult. Off course 'budget' will be named as the culprit, but that is bull****. Promoting cycling is a strategic objective of the city to elevate traffic congestion, -pollution and promote a healthy lifestyle. Why is there no action behind their words in obvious cases like this? Does the PPA engage the CoCT on issues like these?

Not sure if this has been mentioned somewhere but a lady also got hit in the Cradle in Jhb.

Apparently driver on their phone, doing 100km plus through the Cradle hit the cyclists!

Flip where is it safe to ride these days!?!

Where can one see what this "invests heavily" comprises of? I would like to contribute my minute part to making cycling safer.

Case in point: the Kommetjie-Sun Vally road was tarred earlier this year. Only, they did not redo the shoulder which is breaking up badly. So, you now have to cycle on the yellow line closer to the flying cars/taxis/busses. Probably a few thousand cyclists use that road each week. How can you not do the shoulder if you actually have cyclists safety at heart? You have all the machinery/contractors there. IMO it is a gross insult. Off course 'budget' will be named as the culprit, but that is bull****. Promoting cycling is a strategic objective of the city to elevate traffic congestion, -pollution and promote a healthy lifestyle. Why is there no action behind their words in obvious cases like this? Does the PPA engage the CoCT on issues like these?

I agree re the Kommetjie Sun Valley Road, really poor show. But it may have just been a patch job with that road earmarked for a major upgrade in the future. In my opinion any road works need to be assessed for the viability of including a cycle lane before commencement.

The incident was on this morning's DieBurger (web site):

http://www.dieburger.com/nuus/2014-09-29-fietsryer-stabiel-motoris-gou-in-hof

In case the article goes away (with the news sites moving to the crappy new "Netwerk24" site) here is the full article:

Kaapstad. – Die fietsryer wat Sondagoggend in Llandudno raakgery is, is steeds in die intensiewe sorgeenheid van die Universiteit van Kaapstad (UK) se private akademiese hospitaal.

Alriza Reid (32) van Milnerton het saam met haar spanmaats vir die Double Century-padfietsren geoefen toe die bestuurder van ’n silwer BMW haar in Victoriaweg raakgery het.

Reid, ’n lid van City Cycling Club, is per helikopter na die Groote Schuur-hospitaal geneem waarna sy later na die UK se hospitaal oorgeplaas is. Sy is Sondagmiddag geopereer.

Freddie Mayer, voorsitter van die klub, het Maandagoggend gesê daar lê baie maande se harde werk vir haar voor, maar die goeie nuus is dat dokters verwag sy sal ten volle herstel.

Die 28-jarige bestuurder van die BMW verskyn Donderdag in die Wynberg-hof nadat hy op borgtog vrygelaat is.

Volgens lt. kol. André Traut, polisiewoordvoerder, gaan hy aanklag word van roekelose en/of nalatige bestuur, bestuur onder die invloed van drank, en die versuim om by ’n ongelukstoneel te stop.

Apparently just reported on radio that the lady that got hit has passed away? Can anyone confirm? Hope not.

I heard the same. Terrible news! I stood and watched them put her in the chopper. I feel I'll.

Charge of driving under the influence against the driver.

Now add manslaughter

Hi All. Please ignore the non-accurate reports on the condition of Alriza. I have just spoken to visitors of the hospital. She is currently still under sedation due to the swelling on the brain. She has lots of cuts and bruises. Her leg and face was operated on and whilst she is still in ICU, her condition is stable. She will have more operations on her face when the swelling subsides. We ask that everyone allows the club to communicate only accurate facts on this case, since it is disturbing for her family and friends to be exposed to everyone's own version of her current situation.

Archived