Specialized FAIL - please help me get in touch with the right folk

GoatBoy

Bike shops have a vested interest in spraying your bike with a pressure-washer since it will shorten the life of many of your components and you'll have to purchase new ones from them.  It's also less labour-intensive than first brushing off muck and then washing with a wet cloth.

Most bike shops I have worked in do not even own pressure washers...and how many times have you seen ALL the stage races and in fact the marathon series races using pressure washers after the days stage? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the OP's problem with the cranks. I have a set of X0/S2000 on my marathon. I started having the same issues and the problem is the stupid retainer ring that SRAM invented to keep the crank in position. It's plastic and works great in the workshop but after 5km it has worked loose and the crank goes side to side. The solution was to add another of those "dustcap" on the Non drive side. That is a SRAM issue not a Spez issue.

I have also removed my Roval carbon wheels and riding with ZTR Arch EX's cos they are stiffer and more durable for my weight. As previous posters have said, these bikes are great for people under 80kg(I am 95kg), but start taking a real beating with anyone over that weight.

interesting thread. I have an s works epic 2013 had it about 10 months serviced the shocks at 260 hours they were poked, in fact they were never great from the start the fade control was a bit off and they seemed a bit stiff, but I never knew any different. I used to spray with Fork Juice quite often.  After R2400 service they now are perfect and how they should have been and are brilliant.

No issues really so far love this bike.

Can't resist, Sorry!

1. 90% of people who purchase the S-Works Epic buy it for the wrong reason, i.e for show rather than go.

2. 90% of the people who SELL you the S-Works Epic rip you off, because they know you don't need it but they take advantage because you are stupid and have lots of money to spend.

3. many of the concept stores, not just the local ones, but also around the world have clowns working in their workshops. They sell the most expensive bikes, pay the most expensive rent for fancy shop fronts, and then try to keep their overheads low by paying clowns peanuts.

Its the industry and the Cape Epic's fault. The SW Epic is not really a mountain bike at all. It weighs little more than a road bike and is not built for heavy duty MTB including jumps and drops. Sure it will do all that if you ask it but its not built for it  IMO. Throw in a heavy rider and some gnarly terrain and the result is inevitable. The  'pro-tune"sounds like a total and utter rip off - thats more than my BMW cost for its last service, parts included. 

Get a Giant Trance  - it wont break and you'll have more fun (its a proper MTB), and cash in the bank for trips to amazing riding venues.

Its the industry and the Cape Epic's fault. The SW Epic is not really a mountain bike at all. It weighs little more than a road bike and is not built for heavy duty MTB including jumps and drops. Sure it will do all that if you ask it but its not built for it  IMO. Throw in a heavy rider and some gnarly terrain and the result is inevitable. The  'pro-tune"sounds like a total and utter rip off - thats more than my BMW cost for its last service, parts included. 

Get a Giant Trance  - it wont break and you'll have more fun (its a proper MTB), and cash in the bank for trips to amazing riding venues.

No dude...dont agree

In the same way 14kg all mountain bike can do a stage race....it is a serious piece of race kit...I would absolutely love one, but I cannot afford it. Doesnt mean its not a proper mtb....

Oh and on the giant thing...meh, they might be the best bang for buck but doesnt guarantee enjoyment.

If I had a penny for every time I told a yuppie to rather take the Camber or the Stumpjumper Expert I'd probably own specialized out right by now....

As the person who came up with the pro tune, I think I should comment, the Pro tune service is a full tear down removing every single nut and bolt and cleaning every part separately inspecting for wear and tear and rebuilding the bike in its entirety - also allowing the mechanic to check the pivot bearings individually. When I introduced the pricing it was R1000 including labour and sundries (greases, washing solvents, loctite etc) I don't know if they have put it up but that is what it was...Fair considering that if done properly it takes about 4 hours to do.

Again, I have said this before, the owners of the shop now look at this and think "hey why cant the mechanic do 6 of these a day?" and thus puts pressure on the oke to do more per day and thus mistakes creep in as you always get the walk ins that are always "it'll just take 10min to do bru" jobs.

Now mistakes happen - who gets the blame? the mechanic of course because how dare he not be able to do 20 jobs in a day - 10 of which are pro tunes. So the mechanic gets frustrated/pissed off/demoralized and leaves the shop- shop owner sees an opportunity to hire someone cheaper and the whole cycle starts over.

"Pro Tune" sounds like pro rip off to me..... R3k plus :w00t:

My point exactly, it could mean a strip and rebuild but even so you still paying lots of moola for a very cheap exercise.

if they changing pads, rotors, cables and hoses then yes, but IMO that's a total waste in your case.

As has been mentioned the S-Works Epic is a RACE machine intended to be stripped and rebuilt often - and it is intended for professional type athletes that weigh no more than 80kg, and although it may be rated to 100kg, a 95/97kg rider will be pushing the bike to its limits - as seen by the shock link bearings collapsing...Look at the pro's bikes at Epic, they get stripped and rebuilt after every single stage, new bearings fitted where needed, forks serviced every second day etc.

SNIP.

If you apply that logic then the BB will only go on heavier riders bikes?

The pro's put those bike through MUCH more than what a 90kg rider can do.....those bearings DONT collapse under weight, they rust and that stops them from turning....

Your logic is the same as people here asking if someone stands a lot when they snapped a chain...the pro's put out 450+watts for an hour and MORE and do not snap a chain, in the wet and on cobbles.....

Problem lies with the "service" he is getting. The bearings they use on the epic is the same for the EPIC and STUMPJUMPER btw.

If I had a penny for every time I told a yuppie to rather take the Camber or the Stumpjumper Expert I'd probably own specialized out right by now....

Disagree. I was seriously considering a Stumpjumper 29r. Took the S-works out @ Modderfontein on one of the test days. So glad I did. Never thought about it again. The Epic is the ideal bike for most our riding. We don't have ski lifts, so I don't see the need for 120 - 140mm on a 29r. I also haven't seen (in Gauteng) rider skills like you see in the States or New Zealand... :ph34r:

In their defense, the aftermarket replacement downtube stickers do not have the same quality of adhesive as the original ones that come on the bikes hence they often peel off after application - does not matter how you clean the downtube - they peel off...

Skinny - in my defense - I sincerely doubt Specialized has a supplier for stickers for the frames they ship, and another supplier with a different glue batch, for the aftermarket application... It's a lack of interest in doing the job right first time.

I sent Melrose my bike prior to B&B last year, and got billed the pro-tune amount. I test rode the bike once after the service, and the wheels weren't "feeling great". Took it to my LBS and when I saw the state of the bearings, I sent a polite email.... resent.... no reply. It was the first & last time they saw me or my bike.

There is no pride in what we deliver, and sadly that isn't just in the bicycle trade. I see it at work. I am guilty of substandard service, because I just can't watch everything, all the time, and I don't know how to get it across; but when a client complains (& I am thankful when they do), it gets done above & beyond expectations.

And that is why my emails are always polite, as I am a strong believer that one shouldn't chuck rocks from glass houses....

Until you own it, it will never get better! Apologies for the rant.

Disagree. I was seriously considering a Stumpjumper 29r. Took the S-works out @ Modderfontein on one of the test days. So glad I did. Never thought about it again. The Epic is the ideal bike for most our riding. We don't have ski lifts, so I don't see the need for 120 - 140mm on a 29r. I also haven't seen (in Gauteng) rider skills like you see in the States or New Zealand... :ph34r:

Totally agree with this great point, unless you doing Enduro 100mm and as light a bike as possible is the right way to go, in my humble opinion of course

If you apply that logic then the BB will only go on heavier riders bikes?

The pro's put those bike through MUCH more than what a 90kg rider can do.....those bearings DONT collapse under weight, they rust and that stops them from turning....

Your logic is the same as people here asking if someone stands a lot when they snapped a chain...the pro's put out 450+watts for an hour and MORE and do not snap a chain, in the wet and on cobbles.....

Problem lies with the "service" he is getting. The bearings they use on the epic is the same for the EPIC and STUMPJUMPER btw.

No they will not - the BB bearings are bigger than the shock link bearings and hence can stand higher loads. the pros BB bearings also get serviced or replaced often...I have never seen a rusty part on a pros bike...

snapped chains happen due to bad shifting, riding cross chained or FOD (foriegn object damage) not by applying strain to them, if they break like that then it may be down to bad installation.

I agree the problem lies in the service, BUT and I say it again, the BIGGER problem lies in riding the wrong bike.

Oh and BTW the Stumpy and Epic do not share the same pivot bearings, they are vastly different for the different applications - this is what the OP was having issues with - the shock link bearings giving out.

Skinny - in my defense - I sincerely doubt Specialized has a supplier for stickers for the frames they ship, and another supplier with a different glue batch, for the aftermarket application... It's a lack of interest in doing the job right first time.

I sent Melrose my bike prior to B&B last year, and got billed the pro-tune amount. I test rode the bike once after the service, and the wheels weren't "feeling great". Took it to my LBS and when I saw the state of the bearings, I sent a polite email.... resent.... no reply. It was the first & last time they saw me or my bike.

There is no pride in what we deliver, and sadly that isn't just in the bicycle trade. I see it at work. I am guilty of substandard service, because I just can't watch everything, all the time, and I don't know how to get it across; but when a client complains (& I am thankful when they do), it gets done above & beyond expectations.

And that is why my emails are always polite, as I am a strong believer that one shouldn't chuck rocks from glass houses....

Until you own it, it will never get better! Apologies for the rant.

No Apologies needed, see my post after that comment and you 'll see my rant about the exploitation of staff - mostly mecahnics - in the cycling industry. 

I find it strange too that the aftermarket stickers don't work as well as the OEM ones, but that's my findings. I have tried numerous times with those damn stickers...

No dude...dont agree

In the same way 14kg all mountain bike can do a stage race....it is a serious piece of race kit...I would absolutely love one, but I cannot afford it. Doesnt mean its not a proper mtb....

Oh and on the giant thing...meh, they might be the best bang for buck but doesnt guarantee enjoyment.

No man - Giant doesn't guarantee enjoyment, a 140mm plus travel bike that also climbs and descends does. Get the drift this time?  :ph34r:

And yes, I have done a stage race on a heavy AM  bike and yes the descents were more fun than the climbs, but it was the most fun and most comfortable long ride I have ever done...

Archived